An Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
WHat a bunch of twits. "they hate DBS" :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking too.

Hey Charper1, the picture you posted shows the dates right under the picture of all the channels.

BTW I should come clean and admit it that I don't sit in their chat. I do have folks that monitor other sites for me and send me whatever interesting they see.

Thank you to the 3 folks who alerted me and sent me this information this morning.

If you see anything newsworthy and want to send it over, email it to tips@satelliteguys.us

You guys are our ears and eyes. :)

okay, im a newbie, but why not launch the new channels ands fix the billing issue ove rthe next few weeks. Just asking....

I know my post count doesn't exactly give me huge credibility, but some folks here may know me from TiVoCommunity (5k post count there), DBSTalk, or from my 4k post count on the *almost* late great DBSForums.com (remember them)?

Anyway:

I have been told my many people, many of them credible (and months and years ago too, long before this little problem) that the billing and authorization is tightly intergrated.

That is: the same computer system that generates you bill also populates the data into the satellite stream that tells your access card to tell your receiver to let you watch the channels that you subscribe to.

Recall that many of the HD channels they are adding as "simulcasts" of their SD counterparts. Some fall into "Total Choice", some into "Total Choice Plus", etc. Some fall within premium packages like "HBO".

So, by reading lots and lots of posts from people I have found to be credible (Scott Greczkowski being on that list) as well as making a few contacts I have via email, I've pieced together a senereo that I think is pretty close to what happened on the 19th (yesterday).

• DirecTV has been populating D10 with HD channels over the last several days. They can be seen with "engineering cards" (cards that let you see every single channel on the bird) and are working fine in that respect.
  • On the 19th, in the wee hours of the morning, DirecTV ran a script on their billing/authorization system, that was supposed to authorize each of our receivers to see those HD channels that are included in whatever packages we subscribe to.
  • When the script ran, the billing/authorization computer went:[[<<**BARF**>>]].
  • D* has now called in the people who wrote/maintain the software on that system to diagnose and correct the problem.

Anyway, this is the scenereo I've peiced together from a number of sources that have a good credibility record in my book. Take it for what it's worth. It's not like I've communicated directly with Chase Carey or anything. ;)

However, I'm confident that a billing/authorization glitch like I described above would prevent us from seeing the channels, and would have to be fixed before there was any way us ordinary subscribers could see them. It's not like they're going to mail all of us engineering cards! :eek:

FishMan your report matches what I have been told by a number of sources.

Welcome

BTW as I was trying this the folks in the chat, are no upset there are spies watching the, and are now pretending that all the new HD channels are LIVE in hopes that we will report they are live here.

I could post the transcripts but it makes some of these folks look like even bigger losers then they are. :)

• DirecTV has been populating D10 with HD channels over the last several days. They can be seen with "engineering cards" (cards that let you see every single channel on the bird) and are working fine in that respect.
  • On the 19th, in the wee hours of the morning, DirecTV ran a script on their billing/authorization system, that was supposed to authorize each of our receivers to see those HD channels that are included in whatever packages we subscribe to.
  • When the script ran, the billing/authorization computer went:[[<<**BARF**>>]].
  • D* has now called in the people who wrote/maintain the software on that system to diagnose and correct the problem.

Anyway, this is the scenereo I've peiced together from a number of sources that have a good credibility record in my book. Take it for what it's worth. It's not like I've communicated directly with Chase Carey or anything. ;)

However, I'm confident that a billing/authorization glitch like I described above would prevent us from seeing the channels, and would have to be fixed before there was any way us ordinary subscribers could see them. It's not like they're going to mail all of us engineering cards! :eek:

Thanks fishman...
Anything that could indicate that the problem doesn't relate to a problem with the uplink center, the programming source, or the D10 satellite, and I'm happy to hear it!

It should be up soon - no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

FishMan your report matches what I have been told by a number of sources.

Welcome

BTW as I was trying this the folks in the chat, are no upset there are spies watching the, and are now pretending that all the new HD channels are LIVE in hopes that we will report they are live here.

I could post the transcripts but it makes some of these folks look like even bigger losers then they are. :)

BTW, any idea if they have "found" the bug in the software that caused the problem? If they have then at least we would know if they had moved on to step "two" which I guess would be writting/correcting the code.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/doctober091907.htm

DIRECTV: 70 HD Channels In October

But the satcaster still says the HD expansion will begin this month.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2007) -- DIRECTV has updated its web site to state that it will offer more than 70 HD channels in October.

The statement is a change from the company's previous stance that it would offer 70 HD channels by the end of September.

However, the DIRECTV web site reiterates that "many new HD channels" will be added this month.

The issue of how many HD channels DIRECTV will add -- and when -- has become a hot one with the satcaster today apparently delaying the launch of its HD expansion.

DIRECTV is still targeting this week to launch 20-40 additional High-Definition channels, according to several programming sources.

But the satcaster actually had scheduled the launch today. However, DIRECTV ran into what one source called "technical difficulties." It's unclear what the snafu is, but it's not considered to be serious.

But DIRECTV was so confident that today would be the kickoff day for its HD expansion that it alerted its programming partners that it would occur today, according to sources at three content providers.

In addition, DIRECTV notified some TV listings services that the channels would be added today. Consequently, Zap2it.com, the online listings site, today added the new HD channels from DIRECTV in its listings for the satcaster.

And DIRECTV's customer service representatives have been telling callers that new HD channels would be added today. But several TVPredictions.com readers say CSRs have been telling them today that the launch has been postponed.

Some readers report that CSRs are saying the new launch date is September 21 while others say it could be Saturday or Sunday.

I know my post count doesn't exactly give me huge credibility, but some folks here may know me from TiVoCommunity (5k post count there), DBSTalk, or from my 4k post count on the *almost* late great DBSForums.com (remember them)?

Anyway:

I have been told my many people, many of them credible (and months and years ago too, long before this little problem) that the billing and authorization is tightly intergrated.

That is: the same computer system that generates you bill also populates the data into the satellite stream that tells your access card to tell your receiver to let you watch the channels that you subscribe to.

Recall that many of the HD channels they are adding as "simulcasts" of their SD counterparts. Some fall into "Total Choice", some into "Total Choice Plus", etc. Some fall within premium packages like "HBO".

So, by reading lots and lots of posts from people I have found to be credible (Scott Greczkowski being on that list) as well as making a few contacts I have via email, I've pieced together a senereo that I think is pretty close to what happened on the 19th (yesterday).

This authorization glitch may also be connected with the failure of the D10 test channel that was supposed to go up yesterday on 498. Some people reported seeing it. But most people just received the DirecTV sports schedule on 498. I left my receiver tuned to 498 overnight, with the sports schedule displayed. This morning it was still showing. But as soon as I tuned to another channel, 498 was no longer available. I assume they had tried to authorize 498 for everyone and update the channel tables in the receivers so 498 was a D10 channel but it did not work correctly.

This authorization glitch may also be connected with the failure of the D10 test channel that was supposed to go up yesterday on 498. Some people reported seeing it. But most people just received the DirecTV sports schedule on 498. I left my receiver tuned to 498 overnight, with the sports schedule displayed. This morning it was still showing. But as soon as I tuned to another channel, 498 was no longer available. I assume they had tried to authorize 498 for everyone and update the channel tables in the receivers so 498 was a D10 channel but it did not work correctly.
My question would be how did they intergated the current HD channels into their billing system. They obviosly used a different sotfware or something.

Fun

This have been fun seeing all the update from everyone. This site has been jumping. To the point of running slow. Thats great,( Way to go Satellite).By the why before someone leave me a dirty note on useing this thread this one is jumping.Do you think Directv will get the ( DJ POWEr and Associates award this year.

This have been fun seeing all the update from everyone. This site has been jumping. To the point of running slow. Thats great,( Way to go Satellite).By the why before someone leave me a dirty note on useing this thread this one is jumping.Do you think Directv will get the ( DJ POWEr and Associates award this year.
Sorry about the speed, we have been getting slammed. We have a fix which we will be putting in place on Sunday.

I believe that Just a few weeks ago it was announced they won the JD powers award. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

My guess (and this is just a guess with ZERO confirmation) is that channel 498 was essentially a "mini-test" to see if some fixes the programmers had put into the authorization system worked.

...and they didn't. :( :( :( :(

When a reporter asked Thomas Edison if he was depressed and discouraged that he'd tried over 1000 things and still hadn't successfully created an electric light, Edison replied, "No, I've made fantastic progress, I now know over 1000 ways not to make an electric light!" ;)

(In other words, even trying something and failing is a little progress.)

I just check my account (recent activities) on D* website and noticed a charge and credit for HD Access on 9/18 for $3.33. Anyone else have this? I'm assuming this was part of the glitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts