ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks all. That makes sense to me. So if you're right in the middle of the highest strength coverage area, would it be possible to receive a continuous signal at 1 degree inclination, or would you still see drop outs throughout the day?

Id imagine channels would be migrated to G1 before this point, but out of curiosity, how much would the coverage area shrink at 0.5 or 1 degree?

So if you're right in the middle of the highest strength coverage area, would it be possible to receive a continuous signal at 1 degree inclination, or would you still see drop outs throughout the day?
If you're in the center of the beam, the inclination could theoretically go to half the beamwidth before loss became an issue. The reality is that many here are on the edge of the beam.

AMC-11 (the C Band replacement) is at 115W and moving close to 1 degree per day. Should be co-located with Anik F2 by the end of next week.

Reactions: QCK
Anik F2 is definitely operating in an inclined orbit.
Source: satellite-calculations.com

1674065630179.png

1674065924264.png

Attachments

• 1674065671740.png
    1674065671740.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: c-spand
From the graphs you provided, it looks like the current cuboid is +/- 0.25 degrees in latitude. Am I reading this wrong?
East/West does not increase much so it becomes more of north/south ellipsoid.

Been reading up on inclined and the North/ South deviation can get quite large as in multiple degrees, if the operator chooses to not control it..

The article says uncontrolled latitude increases 0.8 degree per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: QCK and c-spand
Watching the data for a few days and it looks like ~0.003 degree increase in latitude offset per day. This is consistent with the earlier article post link which estimated 0.8 degree per year

0.023 degrees today.

Last edited:
The movement doesn't sound sustainable for fixed antennas.

Shaw used to have a page where you could download spreadsheets of channels with satellite and transponder information. Does anyone know where that information has gone?

The movement doesn't sound sustainable for fixed antennas.

Shaw used to have a page where you could download spreadsheets of channels with satellite and transponder information. Does anyone know where that information has gone?
Hi do you mean these?

With no one shouting out about lost reception and the very slow increase in offset, F2 may continue to provide service until it runs out of fuel and has to be deorbited from the geostationary belt.

This graph illustrates the current motion with the offset shown for each hour in a 24 hour period.
If the offset increases so as degrade service in the far northern or southern regions, it would begin with decayed reception twice a day for an hour or two.

1675792869980.png

Reactions: c-spand
So how far in south will the be usuable to where it does drop but not enough to go over the digital cliff?. I am in Northern Illinois and F2 is just hot, hot thanks to the modulation change. I swear I see smoke coming from my 75cm XKU LNB. G1 is good here, but I curious on how far south does it go for just enough signal for service. Weather would be an obvious issue since there is no wiggle room due to the on the edge of the footprint. Where I am at G1 has a great signal and I have read once you go south of Chicago, your signal goes south. I already have an 830 so I am ready for the future changes.

All I can say is I really like my Shaw service and watch it more than DirectTV so would really be bummed out if I would be out of the footprint of the bird and lost service.

Reactions: -Jim-