ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

Ah, also in LA area using a 630. This explains why some channels come and go. I thought I was just imagining things because these weren't typical outages that might happen, say, when the weather is horrible. I guess since G1 doesn't hit here then just using the 630 instead of buying (not renting!) an 830 will suffice.

Rogers (who recently bought Shaw) has stopped their distributors from selling any receivers as they look to rent them to gain more control and revenue over time. More channel changes are coming on July 4th, and I expect F2 will be useless for most folks by year end.

Ah, also in LA area using a 630. This explains why some channels come and go. I thought I was just imagining things because these weren't typical outages that might happen, say, when the weather is horrible. I guess since G1 doesn't hit here then just using the 630 instead of buying (not renting!) an 830 will suffice.
The hour markers on the drift graph indicate that it is at either the north or south extreme about 4 hours per day. So, when losses begin, one located at the fringe might expect an initial 4 hour loss once per day.

Reactions: harshness
Current latitude offset has increased to a bit more than +/- 0.55 degrees.

1690567934369.png

This has been a rare opportunity to have an inclined orbit continue service with the provider providing estimated outage dates for 2 antenna diameters. Having a historical record available as time progresses will allow one to form a fairly good opinion of the effect of offset on the beam maps when things start to go to hell.

You can compare the beam map (below) to their predicted outages (below) and see the dbw contour location expected to lose service this summer for the very large 4.5 antennas this summer/fall.

We can also assume, that independently, the beam will drift about 35 miles north/south for each one degree off center assuming no center point steering.

I'm hoping we will see some posting when things start to fade.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I'm confused. Why would a 75cm antenna experience daily outages much later than a 4.5m antenna? Did Shaw reverse the data in the table?

Yes the 4.5 reflects a much tighter beam to to the lnb. So it would require a very expensive continuous tracking system to maintain reception as the satellite drifts north and south. But,it can process a much weaker signal when receiving.

The 0.75 reflects a much fatter signal to the lnb but the signal is much weaker.

This is why the arctic lost signal for the 0.75 early on.

With the 2/21/23 bulletin migration dates behind us, is there any information available regarding future channel migrations (MPEG4 to HEVC or F2 to G1)?

Lots of channels. It could be worse. Not many highly viewed nationwide stations there.

Looks like they are accelerating their loss of signal estimate dates for F2 .

Dawson City 75cm dropouts have been moved up 5 months. 6 months ahead for Whitehorse/Yellowknife.

Seems like this news will trump the others:

"In view of the unexpected increases in ANIK F2’s inclination, we are currently reviewing the plan to have all services migrated to ANIK G1 in order to mitigate impacts of the satellite’s technical problems to the extent possible. This revised migration plan is being finalized and will be distributed as soon as possible."

• Sad
Reactions: bayguy