ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

Lots of channels. It could be worse. Not many highly viewed nationwide stations there.
Before making that comment, I had not noticed the page 3 of the list for 11/30/23 with Animal Planet, GSN, OWN, Documentary, Crime and Investigation, Cooking, Paramount. Those will sting people with only F2.

Marching on to end of reception.
Offset is now greater than +/- 0.6 degrees.

1692122381119.png

Marching on to end of reception.
Offset is now greater than +/- 0.6 degrees.
From my Southern viewpoint, I can confirm increasing signal deterioration during the past few weeks. I can have a strong signal on CBC Toronto and a half-hour later it disappears. BBC News and TCM are increasingly marginal or not there. Not sure how long the cycle takes to go from good to bad to good reception -- nor how much of the time I still have a viewable signal.

Look at the movement graph above

You will lose reception when the satellite is at the northern end of its elliptical travel .
Those are hour markers on the ellipse. You can see it is at the north "end" for 3-4 hours each day.

The hour markers locations are at Greenwich Mean Time GMT so you can calculate the exact hours you would expect decay in your time zone using the GMT offset for your area.

Reactions: Foxbat
Look at the movement graph above

You will lose reception when the satellite is at the northern end of its elliptical travel .
Those are hour markers on the ellipse. You can see it is at the north "end" for 3-4 hours each day.

The hour markers locations are at Greenwich Mean Time GMT so you can calculate the exact hours you would expect decay in your time zone using the GMT offset for your area.
Thanks for all this info...

Are the data points on the graph UTC or Mountain time? The plot ends at 1149 but the chart says it was updated at 1749 UTC Tuesday. I lost reception of CBC Toronto about 10pm Eastern on Tuesday evening, (0200 UTC Wednesday) and it had not yet returned a few hours later. If the datapoints are Mountain time, that would appear to be closer to the middle of the loop, not the end. If they are UTC, that shows me losing signal at the north "end" exactly as you suggest.

My dish is not securely mounted (why bother at this point?) and is probably a bit misaligned, which could cause me to lose signal somewhere else on the loop besides the north "end." Given the small time shift noted on the overlapping segment of the graph, I should be able to extrapolate where the sat is in its loop -- at least for the next few days. If I try to re-aim, should I do so when the sat is the middle of the loop, as opposed to either end?

Woops I was wrong on the time shift. They are local times.

You can get an interactive snapshot of location here:

hover over a time marker on the graph and it will display the time and offset from UTC
Thanks for the direct link to graph, but the times are suspect. On the 170-hour chart, at 1845 UTC (2:45pm Eastern), the most recent data point is listed as 2043 UTC and 4:43pm EDT today. Perhaps the times are CET (Central European Time), not GMT, as listed? Or is the chart making a two-hour forecast? And the 24-hour chart shows positions through tomorrow afternoon, with EDT on the graph's data points, so it must be predictive? It is interesting to see the gradual eastern drift.

He uses the celestrack database which is obtained from the US military (Space Command) they monitor all space objects. It is all predictive but real . The graph will include the TLE which is the last time an actual measurement was recorded which can vary from minutes to days. The TLE includes all data needed to calculate projected orbit

The second graph extends estimates for a week.
You can go to the satellite-calculations main page and set your location .

the end is here. in Los Angeles /playa del rey california i have no reception signal on all stations as of yesterday friday at 345am pacific time, i have checked all 900 stations nothing.is F2 dead? has everything moved to G1.l would have thought i woud have seen other messages by now.

the end is here. in Los Angeles /playa del rey california i have no reception signal on all stations as of yesterday friday at 345am pacific time, i have checked all 900 stations nothing.is F2 dead? has everything moved to G1.l would have thought i woud have seen other messages by now.
They haven't moved them all yet there must be somethign wrong with your rcvr or your dish.

They haven't moved them all yet there must be somethign wrong with your rcvr or your dish.
The only thing that's wrong is likely the geographical location. The satellite can no longer hold tight to its assigned boundaries and will continue to fade in and out with greater regularity.

thanks i have heard of off hours a few hours a day . last night i hit every station on the reciever and nothing after such a strong signal on thursday night cfl football. i did nottice some fading around 630 pm. went to city toronto at 345 am friday nothing.

Harshness yes the sattelite is moving in and out but modefan has lost everything for more than 24 hours so that isn't it.
In the post above yours, modefan had temporarily got reception back.

The upshot is that within a relatively short time, there will be no reception so it probably doesn't deserve much investment of time or money to figure out.

In the post above yours, modefan had temporarily got reception back.

The upshot is that within a relatively short time, there will be no reception so it probably doesn't deserve much investment of time or money to figure out.
He said the last time he got a signal was on Thursday night and it's been out since 3:45 Friday morning that's now more than 36 hours.