Annoying Epix message

for me ... asside from the spam aspect that could happen ... its also the problem with what they're selling.. DISH ONLINE ... which is a broken product!

You can't use dishonline properly with your DVR & Sling Adapter...it starts playing things on TV1 rather than the web, it ignores USER modified names in the DVR, it mixes content from outside my DVR when I'm selecting to view things *FROM* my dvr.. and lastly.. any of the premium content on there.. requires a plugin that isn't compatible with FireFox 4 ... ie.. epix may be watchable through DishOnline .. but epix ain't the only gd thing on there.. hbo, cinemax, starz (think there's one more) ... none of them will work with FF4 because the additional Widevine Media Plugin won't install.

and as others have said.. its an irritant.. *EVERY* time I go to the channel ... why didn't it stop after the 3rd time, the 5th, the 50th?

The *top* set of information is directly related to what is currently on the channel, what you've tuned to, the time left, the sat its on, current time, event duration, etc.. displaying an ad to redirect users away from the Satellite is spam.. and I have no tollerance for spam, even less so when paying a premiem to receive service.

I don't have an update to my 612 so don't see this. At first it sounded intrusive to me too, but if it is as KAB says, only on as long as the top banner is, I don't see it as something I would really care about. BUT - the idea of it, that it could be used more often, longer, over HBO movies etc... does bother me. What's next, everytime you change to a channel a commercial ..."We will take you to NCIS, but first, do you know about Autopay?"

I don't have an update to my 612 so don't see this. At first it sounded intrusive to me too, but if it is as KAB says, only on as long as the top banner is, I don't see it as something I would really care about. BUT - the idea of it, that it could be used more often, longer, over HBO movies etc... does bother me. What's next, everytime you change to a channel a commercial ..."We will take you to NCIS, but first, do you know about Autopay?"

Nonetheless, it is annoying. It's on my 622 but hasn't gotten to my 222k yet. Perhaps only a matter of time unless the negative feedback forces Dish to do away with it. Anyway, if they must annoy, they should at least make the thing date sensitive so we would endure seeing it only once per day. I'll wager that there will not be even one poster that likes this banner. What are these Dish people thinking, or smoking?

I called dish about this, and of course the CSR was pretty much brain dead on the issue. I got the old line I was the first he had heard about it, I told him I would not be the last. But it you find the extra advertising annoying it would be best to nip it in the bud. I suggest anyone who doesn't like it , even a little bit, call Dish and complain. Maybe the reason they only have it on 2 channels for now is to see what the customers do. Well let them know!
M

THis is such a minor NON issue I don't think I would waste my time trying to comment on it. In three seconds, or less, I can hit cancel and it goes away. I do that anyway when I first tune to any channel to get the channel info to go away.

MikeD-C05 said:
THis is such a minor NON issue I don't think I would waste my time trying to comment on it. In three seconds, or less, I can hit cancel and it goes away. I do that anyway when I first tune to any channel to get the channel info to go away.

I just hope this is not a beginning to something to come. It has marketing opportunities wrote all over it. What if Dish tied advertising like this to every channel? Hopefully this won't happen but never say never.

So, what you're saying then ... as someone with 10,000 posts ... a membership date going back to 2003 ... that in all that time, you haven't seen Dish (or Directv if you're one of those cross posters) do something that started off as an annoyance .. became a "feature" and quite seriously burrows under your skin .. no loss of features, no add-on that was taken away .. etc.. so you have no empathy for a situation that others see as a problem to be nipped before it becomes something worse?

I hope you have good sonar ... to avoid those obstacles you're not seeing, and as they get larger and taller, may you also have people post how insignificant your feelings are, for something that you're paying for, to have done to you..

So, what you're saying then ... as someone with 10,000 posts ... a membership date going back to 2003 ... that in all that time, you haven't seen Dish (or Directv if you're one of those cross posters) do something that started off as an annoyance .. became a "feature" and quite seriously burrows under your skin .. no loss of features, no add-on that was taken away .. etc.. so you have no empathy for a situation that others see as a problem to be nipped before it becomes something worse?

I'll answer for him and myself (sub since 2002). NO!
This display of paranoia amazes, and scares me.

I hope you have good sonar ... to avoid those obstacles you're not seeing, and as they get larger and taller, may you also have people post how insignificant your feelings are, for something that you're paying for, to have done to you..

There are Policies that DISH came out with that STILL bother me to this day. Like the additional receiver FEES -$17.00 , the DVR FEES PER dvr receiver-thankfully done away with and now hidden in the Additional receiver fees. But I do not see the temporary flashing message on Epix as that big of a distraction. I hit cancel most times when I tune to any channel because the guide info comes up anyway and I find it last too long sometimes. I do not feel that the minor banner flash is a big deal , but you have my sympathy if this bothers you too much. You might try writing emails to the ceo@echostar.com and tell him how much it bothers you and maybe they can do a software change to disable the banner like they do the other advertisments in the guide and tv enhancements, as well as the mode reminder. In the past enough people complained and they did change the software and made those changes to appease subs who felt that the previous software changes were intrusive. It is worth a shot.

I just hope this is not a beginning to something to come. It has marketing opportunities wrote all over it. What if Dish tied advertising like this to every channel? Hopefully this won't happen but never say never.

I noticed last night that Dish has now included this banner on HBO and HBO-W (channels 300 and 303). I suspect more channels will follow.

I'll answer for him and myself (sub since 2002). NO!
This display of paranoia amazes, and scares me.
Its not paranoia if they're really after you.. :)
Seriously.. look at the state of DishOnline.com .... two months for them to finally get an updated plugin to allow the premium content to play on FireFox 4.0.1 ... During the 5 months before go-live, when they openly displayed "beta" in their URL, and on pages .. significant issues were raised.. and to date, not one corrected.

And even now, Dish Online still starts DVR content on the TV ... rather than in the WEB, at least on DRA they gave us a choice ... and this is now 7 weeks on for this problem??

One of the fundamental flaws.. I renamed an event in my DVR ... and they don't show that renamed item with *MY* name on it.. no no.. they group it with the rest of the season, under the original show name.. and you have to do a double take to see which is the item I wanted to highlight, which is only 5 minutes long, rather than the full 63 minutes..

5 months of telling them problems.. and not one fix... and when complaints would be publicly voiced people would come back with "oh don't worry its still in beta they'll fix that before going live.." .. well its live.. and still broken.

Dish is only as good as its past shows it to be.. it hasn't learned, and this ad banner is just a stepping stone.

I didn't like the ads in the guide display, I turned them off ..
I didn't like the "enhanced" feature where a commercial comes on and you press "Select" to get taken to another channel to see more about some advertized crap ... and turned that off ...
I didn't like the annoying reminder that I was in TV mode rather than SAT mode on my remote..I turned *that* off, although I have no problem with this feature being available since it would help the technologically challenged
its this ad, pointing to a site that was broken, and they could start doing this on any other channel they wanted, cancel button or not.. I don't want to be advertized to, regardless of the "cost" of the advertized item (dishonline is free to a point), and especially not on premium channels that I must pay more for

where would they stop, if users didn't object strongly enough to their "minor" changes?

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- there is no reason that ANYTHING except for the encryption system should be under the control of Dish and not the user. We should be able to plug a Dish card into any receiver and do anything we like with the resulting output.

gpollock87 said:
it goes away when the guide bar goes away. just ignore it lol
I was expecting something to randomly pop up while watching Epix based on the complaining, but after the software update, as you note, it is just flashed with the channel banner. And it isn't trying to sell anyone anything, just letting people know that if they can watch that channel, there are a ton of movies available on demand (for no extra charge) online.

It is in your face and blocks up the screen, but it goes away quickly. This is hardly a big deal. They start flashing advertisements on Epix during movies for me to get HBO, then I'll have a problem with that.

I was expecting something to randomly pop up while watching Epix based on the complaining, but after the software update, as you note, it is just flashed with the channel banner. And it isn't trying to sell anyone anything, just letting people know that if they can watch that channel, there are a ton of movies available on demand (for no extra charge) online.

It is in your face and blocks up the screen, but it goes away quickly. This is hardly a big deal. They start flashing advertisements on Epix during movies for me to get HBO, then I'll have a problem with that.

Yeah, I finally got the update on my 622, and checked it out last night. I started laughing when it disappeared after about 1.5 seconds. Channels like TNT and BBC have their own garbage at the bottom of the screen non-stop, this is not worth worrying about.

The Dish bottom banner that's popping on Epix doesnt bother me. The Logo bug that Epix pops every ten minutes DOES, though. Bad enough when they just had the logo, but now the text they include with the logo telling me if I'm not watching online, I'm not getting the whole picture, is pissing me off.

Back to the Dish bottom banners...I noticed last week that when I tune to an HBO channel when they happen to be airing one of their original programs, that a Dish banner is popping telling me that that program is available on HBO Go (or it could've been Dish Online).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)