Answers to your Hopper Questions

How is the upgrade announcment going to be made to existing customers? Mailing, Emails, something under the offers section of our accounts?

Thank you for calling Dish, your entertainment provider, to continue your call in English, Press 1

I show an account ending in XXXXX, if this is correct, press 1, otherwise press 2

OK, I see you are one of our biggest suckers, please wait while I access your account . . . . .

How can I help you today, you can press or say

1 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
2 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
3 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
4 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
5 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
6 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
7 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
8 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
9 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
HOPPER - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
JOEY - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;

I'm sorry, that is not a valid selection, please try again;

I'm sorry, but we have no operator

I'm sorry, but we have no customer service representatives available at this time

I'm sorry, but we have no tech support available at this time

HEY, IDIOT - DON'T YOU GET IT? IF YOU DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE TO HOPPER, WE DON'T WANT YOUR BUSINESS ANY MORE!

:spam:OK, maybe it's just me and I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning but honestly it is getting very old to come into a thread that is supposed to have answers to legit questions and have to deal with page after page of people trolling trying to derail every thread totally off-topic. Some of the complaints/discussions are legit discussions to be sure. Any point of view should be welcome if it is "ON TOPIC". But it seems there are some who simply are trying to lash out at Dish as a company in their incoherent ramblings. And let's be honest...do you really have to spew the same few objections over and over, page after page all over the forum? Really? We know how you feel on the subject, give it a break! This is a thread where we were supposed to be able to get answers, not listen to a bunch of whiners.

If I did not know better (actually, I DON'T know better now that I think about it) I'd say some were simply paid or had some other financial incentive to try to make Dish look bad because it'd sure be awfully sad to think people get that passionate over TV. I mean if they put all that time, effort and energy...that PASSION...behind something constructive, just imagine what they might achieve. Heck, they might even start their own business or something and make enough money that they wouldn't have to be on message boards all day complaining about $7 a month. Just sayin'. :coffee

This is about more than $7.00 Coach. The big picture comes into play. DISH has said it is a "New Dawn at DISH ". Charging at least $11.00 for watching tv 2 in hd in another room using the joey $7.00 and then new multi-view fee $4.00 is another indication that it is not a new dawn ,but business as usual for DISH the King of fees. They are continuing to put short term profits over their long term growth. DISH has only added subs for two quarters the last two years. Coincidence that the additional receiver fees were hiked anywhere from $7.00 -$17.00 depending on what class of receiver you have, two years ago in Feb. of 2010? Then they announce the price for the new Joey /Hopper and here we go again , it will cost you even more to watch in another room. This is about DISH as a company. They can not sustain themselves long term, if there is no growth and all they do is gain and lose the same million subs . That is stagnant. This pricing scheme does nothing to add more subs, just more FEE profits from who is left here at DISH.

But I get your drift. It is about questions about the hopper, and it got sidetracked about ota and why it is important. So I'm out of this thread for now.:focus:

Just had to chime in on why i need OTA suport on new Hopper receiver. I live in the Greenville-Spartanburg (sc) market but am close enough to the Charlotte nc area to receive most of their locals. Charlotte has better programming on the sub channels-not to mention higher quality local news and sports. The Charlotte locals are intergrated into my guide and i really enjoy it. I have 2 722 receivers and and plan to get a i hopper 3 joey configeration. I will trust dish to provide OTA in the near future. In the meantime i will connect OTA straight into tv. I bet there are others out there who want OTA to get locals from a nearby market area.

OK, maybe it's just me and I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning but honestly it is getting very old to come into a thread that is supposed to have answers to legit questions and have to deal with page after page of people trolling trying to derail every thread totally off-topic.
Actually this is a thread posting the official answers that Dish reps gave to questions that were submitted to Dish by Scott from the Questions thread. All the answers are in the first post/page. Everything else after that is just discussion on those answers. Why are you looking for more official answers further down in the thread? :) :rolleyes:

You are the one off-topic with your post. :p

Last edited:
I hope folks who want OTA get it, eventually. I don't need it to just watch 'Supernatural' on CW. The problem with the online polls on OTA is the ones who want it will jump on the poll, a lot who don't really care either way will not bother. That's different than saying anyone is against it, but the results could be the same.

Thank you for calling Dish, your entertainment provider, to continue your call in English, Press 1

I show an account ending in XXXXX, if this is correct, press 1, otherwise press 2

OK, I see you are one of our biggest suckers, please wait while I access your account . . . . .

How can I help you today, you can press or say

1 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
2 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
3 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
4 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
5 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
6 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
7 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
8 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
9 - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
HOPPER - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;
JOEY - to upgrade your equipment to our new Hopper Joey selection;

I'm sorry, that is not a valid selection, please try again;

I'm sorry, but we have no operator

I'm sorry, but we have no customer service representatives available at this time

I'm sorry, but we have no tech support available at this time

HEY, IDIOT - DON'T YOU GET IT? IF YOU DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE TO HOPPER, WE DON'T WANT YOUR BUSINESS ANY MORE!

That's just stupid to me, sorry. It's only funny if there is some fact behind writing something like that.

This is about more than $7.00 Coach. The big picture comes into play. DISH has said it is a "New Dawn at DISH ". Charging at least $11.00 for watching tv 2 in hd in another room using the joey $7.00 and then new multi-view fee $4.00 is another indication that it is not a new dawn ,but business as usual for DISH the King of fees. They are continuing to put short term profits over their long term growth. DISH has only added subs for two quarters the last two years. Coincidence that the additional receiver fees were hiked anywhere from $7.00 -$17.00 depending on what class of receiver you have, two years ago in Feb. of 2010? Then they announce the price for the new Joey /Hopper and here we go again , it will cost you even more to watch in another room. This is about DISH as a company. They can not sustain themselves long term, if there is no growth and all they do is gain and lose the same million subs . That is stagnant. This pricing scheme does nothing to add more subs, just more FEE profits from who is left here at DISH.

But I get your drift. It is about questions about the hopper, and it got sidetracked about ota and why it is important. So I'm out of this thread for now.:focus:

But as usual, being ignored is that DISH is still less in many/most cases than other providers. Also ignored, you don't have to get or pay for the new technology.
And one more thing ignored, Dish actually acknowledged they were" not making an effort" (my words) to keep subscribers who don't pay. It was talked about in posts how Dish wasn't making any real offers to keep some customers. The concentration was on people who pay even if the subscribers went down. I believe that's why the Welcome pack is now more readily available, rather then try to keep customers who can't pay for a full package, they can offer this so that the bill can still be paid and keep the customer. So, yes, in answer to your query, I do think it's a coincidence, there are other reasons.
That approach is common in business when economic times are bad. You keep profits up with less people buying your product but who pay, so that you are better prepared when the economy returns, and it also allows you to possibly invest in other areas when other companies can not, and at a better cost.
I'm so much defending the fees as looking at the bigger picture, which is they are within and/or less than what other providers are charging for the service. No doubt that includes some fees "because they can" I certainly acknowledge that, but some post seem to indicate this is a Dish thing only and they are way out of line.

Last edited:
Tampa, what makes you think that those opposed to the fee structure are those that "don't pay"? I'm a top250 + sports pack subscriber. Maybe you mean those that "don't overpay". ;)

I have to agree with those saying the OTA needs to come out soon. I can't ignore the "soon" we all know Dish is capable of. I see the wisdom of the three tuner Hopper, only if it becomes four tuners with an OTA, and only if you can get two if you want it and they can see each other and all joeys. It's too bad Dish isn't coming out with all that right away.

Tampa, what makes you think that those opposed to the fee structure are those that "don't pay"? I'm a top250 + sports pack subscriber. Maybe you mean those that "don't overpay". ;)

I didn't mean to imply that at all, nor do I even think that!! I was only talking about the thought that higher fees are causing the lower number of subscribers. Sure it doesn't help but there is much much more to it, as Dish has acknowledged. Is there a limit to how much most people will pay for fees, you bet,. Is Dish AND Direct, AND Comcast, AND... near that limit? Very possibly....

Actually this is a thread posting the official answers that Dish reps gave to questions that were submitted to Dish by Scott from the Questions thread. All the answers are in the first post/page. Everything else after that is just discussion on those answers. Why are you looking for more official answers further down in the thread? :) :rolleyes:

You are the one off-topic with your post. :p

Dare2be, I appreciate your clarification of the answers being in the first post...which I did realize. My main objection was to the post immediately above mine that was completely off topic and just plain silly, and to others who tend to just go out of their way to find a reason to post some negative comment about Dish even if not on topic or just plain nonsensical. I realize Dish has flaws...totally understand, and yes, even agree with some of the complaints. I am not simply pro-everything-Dish-does.

I also do object to the same argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea. It's not hard for anyone who visits this forum even semi-regularly to see that there are those who are going to complain about everything no matter what. And then there are those who have legitimate gripes who speak very eloquently and make great points. Even when I don't always agree, I welcome their feedback and alternate point of view and enjoy reading their posts. Yet even still, some of those people sometimes never seem to acknowledge the opposing viewpoints also have merit.

This is supposed to be a place for relatively intelligent adults, who are most likely gainfully employed and functioning members of society, many of whom have family, children, dogs/cats, responsibility, positions of authority/importance, etc...to come and talk about all things related to Satellite and/or other entertainment options/equipment. Yet some here act as if they are still in kindergarten with their childish behavior and personal vendettas against a Satellite TV provider. Perhaps I am the only one that finds that annoying (and a little sad that so much of their energy is devoted to such a crusade). If so, I have spoken my piece and will not become a distraction myself if I can help it.

I may not have put it as eloquently as others here make their posts, but remember I did preface my statement by saying "maybe it's just me and I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning".:coffee;) Now back to your regular programming.

The fee debate is nonsense! The Hopper/Joey fees are lower (except $1 more with a 2nd 612) than any combination on Dish for multiple independent HD TVs with DVR access (211 EHD recording is functionally marginal at best). With the exception of the whole house fee of $4, the H/J fees are actually in line with feeding the additional HD TVs with 211s. If you are content with SD TVs, stay with the VIP receivers.

The fee debate is nonsense! The Hopper/Joey fees are lower (except $1 more with a 2nd 612) than any combination on Dish for multiple independent HD TVs with DVR access (211 EHD recording is functionally marginal at best). With the exception of the whole house fee of $4, the H/J fees are actually in line with feeding the additional HD TVs with 211s. If you are content with SD TVs, stay with the VIP receivers.
Here we go again...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/278305-scotts-hopper-thoughts-2.html#post2785823

Dare2be, I appreciate your clarification of the answers being in the first post...which I did realize. My main objection was to the post immediately above mine that was completely off topic and just plain silly, and to others who tend to just go out of their way to find a reason to post some negative comment about Dish even if not on topic or just plain nonsensical. I realize Dish has flaws...totally understand, and yes, even agree with some of the complaints. I am not simply pro-everything-Dish-does.

I also do object to the same argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea. It's not hard for anyone who visits this forum even semi-regularly to see that there are those who are going to complain about everything no matter what. And then there are those who have legitimate gripes who speak very eloquently and make great points. Even when I don't always agree, I welcome their feedback and alternate point of view and enjoy reading their posts. Yet even still, some of those people sometimes never seem to acknowledge the opposing viewpoints also have merit.

This is supposed to be a place for relatively intelligent adults, who are most likely gainfully employed and functioning members of society, many of whom have family, children, dogs/cats, responsibility, positions of authority/importance, etc...to come and talk about all things related to Satellite and/or other entertainment options/equipment. Yet some here act as if they are still in kindergarten with their childish behavior and personal vendettas against a Satellite TV provider. Perhaps I am the only one that finds that annoying (and a little sad that so much of their energy is devoted to such a crusade). If so, I have spoken my piece and will not become a distraction myself if I can help it.

I may not have put it as eloquently as others here make their posts, but remember I did preface my statement by saying "maybe it's just me and I haven't had my caffeine yet this morning".:coffee;) Now back to your regular programming.

Very well put!

Very well put!
Agreed. That post and some others are just way out there.

I was told in training the hopper and Joey's could only pair with one remote. Is there someone that can erify one way or the other? It would be nice to be able to pair to multiple remotes.

That's just stupid to me, sorry. It's only funny if there is some fact behind writing something like that.
To me it was more akin to making a point like a political cartoon would.

I was told in training the hopper and Joey's could only pair with one remote. Is there someone that can erify one way or the other? It would be nice to be able to pair to multiple remotes.

It has been reported here that multiple remotes have been successfully paired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)