Any better HD DVR coming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK I have been Dish for a few years, hate them, their HD roll out sucks and customer serivce is the pits. Their dish gets bigger and bigger and now they wont; do roof installs. So I wam thinking DirecTV, but if I read the stuff right the HR21 is the current top of the line HD DVR, but it does nto receord OTA, you can only watch it, not record it. also I don;t see anyway to drive a seocnd TV via a coax. I use the Dish 622 so I can drive a TV in my excersize room, dont; see a way to do that with DirecTV? I really want to come back to DirecTV, but it seems they DVR is far less capable than Dish's 622/722. Any thoughts or rumours of something better coming?

OK I have been Dish for a few years, hate them, their HD roll out sucks and customer serivce is the pits. Their dish gets bigger and bigger and now they wont; do roof installs. So I wam thinking DirecTV, but if I read the stuff right the HR21 is the current top of the line HD DVR, but it does nto receord OTA, you can only watch it, not record it. also I don;t see anyway to drive a seocnd TV via a coax. I use the Dish 622 so I can drive a TV in my excersize room, dont; see a way to do that with DirecTV? I really want to come back to DirecTV, but it seems they DVR is far less capable than Dish's 622/722. Any thoughts or rumours of something better coming?
With the AM21 ATSC tuner, you can record all the OTA stuff you want. Sure, you can only record 2 things, but 1 or both of them can be OTA.

Do you want your second TV to have access to different programming than the main one. If so then you can't do it. If you don't mind both being on the same channel then it can be done.

You can also record and view OTA channels with the HR21 and the AM21 combined. It gives you two tuners to watch and record OTA.

Thanks I'll look into that I don't need the 2 TVs to be seperate programming, they can both viw same thing, I live alone. I do like the 622 ability to record 2 SAT and OTA concurrently, it is rare, but I do find it useful during some times. .

i just switched from D* to E* one reason was the better DVR with Dish, we have a ViP722 and 612. By far much better then then the HR21s we replaced.

Not sure but the 5LNB dish from DirecTV is HUGE compared to two Dish 500 dishs

just my 2 cents - not bashing either company.

I dunno. I did the opposite. I had two 500 and now have a slimline. I think the single slimline is less hideous on my roof than the two 500s. But that is just one man's opinion.

Ditto that; i have tried and tried to find enough stuff to force my DirecTV DVRs to realize "missing tuner complaint" from dihies . I also have not yet seen any "bugs". I also think the dish size and aesthetic complaints are crazy; dish or DirecTV. I think some people love to nit-pick over nothing.

I dunno. I did the opposite. I had two 500 and now have a slimline. I think the single slimline is less hideous on my roof than the two 500s. But that is just one man's opinion.

what about his comments on the hd dvr's? do you agree?

I have the HR20-100's and have had no problems with mine.

I find both to be about equally hideous. The Slimline sticks out like a baby crying in an airplane, and the 2-dish thing just looks odd. If you didn't know that you need that for the HD service, wouldn't you look at a house with 2 dishes right next to each other and just think, "Why are there two dishes? Everywhere else I see one on a house...Is that a multi-family or something?"

With my Slimline now when I give people directions to my house I can just say, "My house is the one with the huge satellite dish pointing towards the Southern Sky."

I don't have a HR21,I have a HR20. My complaints are Channel changing way too slow ,if its in Native,you better put on a pot of coffee! DVR space fills up fast! Thats my complaints!

I don't have a HR21,I have a HR20. My complaints are Channel changing way too slow ,if its in Native,you better put on a pot of coffee! DVR space fills up fast! Thats my complaints!

I would rather my tv do the resolution, so I will put up with the channel changing slowness. Not a big deal to me.

what about his comments on the hd dvr's? do you agree?

I gave you my comments on the two DVRs via pm. I think the 622/722 is definitely better but that gap is not as huge as many would have you think. The HR20/21 lacks some hardware features but also has features such as onDemand, Media Sharing, and online scheduling. It is a very adequite unit while the 622/722 is a very good unit.

In my mind it comes all down to this.. what is more important to you? Programming or Hardware. E* has better hardware and D is ahead and I think will remain ahead in the programming area.

Why not stop by a retailer and see what it is like? You keep saying you're going to switch but yours posts seem to indicate you very hesitant. See the product in action and make an informed decision.

Well it's not the quickest in the world, but I have it on the Native mode and I don't have many complaints. I'd prefer that it be faster, but I can wait like 5 seconds between channels with different resolutions.

I have never really thought about the size of the dish actually entering into the equation. I could care less if it were 10 feet across, the thing sits on the back-side of my house, as long as it gets good content, I'm perfectly happy!

Just MY two cents.... :p

I gave you my comments on the two DVRs via pm. I think the 622/722 is definitely better but that gap is not as huge as many would have you think. The HR20/21 lacks some hardware features but also has features such as onDemand, Media Sharing, and online scheduling. It is a very adequite unit while the 622/722 is a very good unit.

In my mind it comes all down to this.. what is more important to you? Programming or Hardware. E* has better hardware and D is ahead and I think will remain ahead in the programming area.

Why not stop by a retailer and see what it is like? You keep saying you're going to switch but yours posts seem to indicate you very hesitant. See the product in action and make an informed decision.

thank you darren:up

Well it's not the quickest in the world, but I have it on the Native mode and I don't have many complaints. I'd prefer that it be faster, but I can wait like 5 seconds between channels with different resolutions.

i have to be honest with you, lately channel changing on E is taking up to 5 seconds. don't know why.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts