Any issues with physical elevation and FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CstateFan

Original poster
May 13, 2005
It seems like I'm always putting off taking the FTA plunge, but I think I'm ready now. Is there an advantage in being in Denver and already being up high? I can't really decide what size of dish I want, but the smaller the better I'm thinking. I'm going to have to use a chimney mount or something else non-penetrating, is there a size limit on these mounts? I've been checking out one of the more popular advertisers on here and will probably give the call on Monday to get started up.

It seems like I'm always putting off taking the FTA plunge, but I think I'm ready now. Is there an advantage in being in Denver and already being up high? I can't really decide what size of dish I want, but the smaller the better I'm thinking. I'm going to have to use a chimney mount or something else non-penetrating, is there a size limit on these mounts? I've been checking out one of the more popular advertisers on here and will probably give the call on Monday to get started up.

The satellites are 22,000 miles up in space. Take your elevation, turn it into miles, then figure out the percentage of your elevation to the satellites elevation. That's how much you can figure it will help you on your signal strength.

Surely the final 7-8 miles contribute to the most interference though? Barring the occasional sun disturbance anyway? I was just curious if I could get away with a smaller dish, like 31-32" instead of 120cm. I'm not exactly sure how stable the chimney straps are, but going smaller would probably be better.

Is there an advantage in being in Denver and already being up high?

I wondered that myself , like if I live in the Sears Tower and had my FTA DISH on the Top Floor , How many more degrees of LOS would I have ?

Well 1st I don't think living in Mile HIgh Colorado will help at all , it's a drop in the bucket to compare that with the 22,000 miles away you are from the Clarke Belt.

I would think if you live on a mountain top with good LOS of the southern sky that you could gain some LOS on satellites that are at a low elevation, but thats about it , but would could be gained from Colorado , if you can get PAS 9 (Intelsat 9)58.0 West , your next sat to the East would be Intelsat 3R at 43.0 West ( It's Possible ?) , that's a big difference , and quite a stretch , so I believe the answer to your query is NO , nothing gained from living in Colorado.

Much more gained from if you can actually see Horizon to Horizon. meaning no obstructive view of the Southeast sky , no trees , buildings , Geographically no hills.

As for gain on strength of signal , I would say insignificant .

I wondered that myself , like if I live in the Sears Tower and had my FTA DISH on the Top Floor , How many more degrees of LOS would I have ?

that latitude & longitude doesn't change so the elevation would be the same. The only reason to put a dish higher is to clear an obstruction

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts