Any notice to the 1st 12 markets yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DIRECTV Announces First 12 Markets to Receive Local Channels in High-Definition This Year
New HD Local Markets Mark First Stage in Dramatic Expansion of HD Programming Over the Next Two Years
Las Vegas, NV Jan 6, 2005

(The 12 markets are: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, and Tampa Bay.)

Above taken from this URL:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01-06-2005A

Poor Seattle, no respect, no respect at all I tell 'ya. I wonder what excuse they gave for skipping to a slightly smaller city? If growth rate was the key then they should have selected Phoenix; the fastest gowing city in the US (by flat numbers added, not % of total) at #15 on the DMA list as of 9/2004 and most likely #14 by now.

charper1 said:
Poor Seattle, no respect, no respect at all I tell 'ya. I wonder what excuse they gave for skipping to a slightly smaller city? If growth rate was the key then they should have selected Phoenix; the fastest gowing city in the US (by flat numbers added, not % of total) at #15 on the DMA list as of 9/2004 and most likely #14 by now.

I believe this is because the Tampa market has some really funky splits (sort of like us here in CT with NY locals, only worse)

hancox said:
I believe this is because the Tampa market has some really funky splits (sort of like us here in CT with NY locals, only worse)

I asked this question and they based their first 12 markets on the highest HD customer percentage. Now when they picked the first 12 markets they would be carried regardless of the new spaceway satellites going up so they picked Tampa instead of Seattle because the Tampa market had more HD customers than the Seattle market. Now because all the satellites thus far have gone up fine Seattle along with another 11 or more markets will be up this year or very early next year. I would say Seatlle HD locals will be up within months after the first 12 go up.

Plywodstatebum said:
I thought Tampa/St. Pete was wiped out by the hurricanes, lol

If only they would wipe out the 80+ year olds who live in mobile homes who can't drive and always yell at me that they pay their taxes. Last time I checked they paid way way less taxes with their <25,000 home than I pay and most on here. They get that nice damn homestead exemption that allows them to pay no taxes at all while everyone else that isn't an old fart in a mobile home has to pay ever increasing taxes because even the dumps cost more than 50 grand in just land alone.

Sorry for my rant but those old people piss me off sometimes.

Oh and don't ever say that word again please. I was out of power on my home for 12 days because Progress couldn't make progress on getting the damn replacement part. This year I'm on a plane somewhere away from the water.

i'm in the dc area, and no word... plus I couldn't wait any longer for hd, so I just had the mpeg 2 dish installed, and my hr10-250 hooked up, so I'm loving life now, but what's gonna happen later. plus my hdmi port is kaput.... go figure

I am a newbie to D*, but had HDTV with Comcast before. I have a few questions regarding this issue and please point me to a thread if discussed already.

1. I got D* about a month ago, but didn't subscribe to HD pkg cause i'm waiting for the new birds to go live. I told this to the installer and he told me he installed an HD dish so I wouldn't have to upgrade later. Will that dish need to be replaced when the new HD programming goes live?

2. What is HMS?

3. Also please explain more about the free upgrade. Is it only for existing HD subscribers?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, if you have the PhaseIII dish it will get replaced; at what cost, if any, has yet to be determined.
2. Are you refereing to the "Home Media Center"?
3. No one has ANY details, so anything you read or hear is purely speculation at this point.

The following post from page 3 uses HMS a few times. I'm not sure if it is Home Media Center or not.

LonghornXP said:
I knew I forgot to say something. Sadly to say D* won't be doing all NFL games in HDTV this year (Fox and CBS won't be doing them all) but what was done last year will be done this year and as such I got word just a few days ago that all NFL ST HD games will still remain on current satellites and in MPEG2 this year and the following football season NFL ST customers will have all NFL Sunday Ticket games in HDTV and in MPEG4. That simply means that you can use your OTA antenna until D* releases their HMS at which time you can upgrade without missing any HD on NFL ST during that gap. Hope this helps you out.

Also to the previous poster I've heard that both existing and returning customers should be getting the same exact offer for the HMS while new customers shortly after the HMS debut will have a different offer tied into a new customer promo.

Also a returning customer is a customer that isn't a new customer but isn't with D* now and will be signing back up again as an existing customer. For example I was a new customer with D* about two and a half years ago and I cancelled my account about 4 months ago so if signed up again with D* when the HMS is out I would be a returning customer.

The above isn't meant to portray people here as being stupid but I wanted it clear as stone.

yep3636 said:
The following post from page 3 uses HMS a few times. I'm not sure if it is Home Media Center or not.

My post was lost so I'll post again. When I typed HMS I was talking about the HMC. They are one and the same when I'm talking about them.

Anytime you read a post of mine that has HMS it means HMC (Home Media Center) and from now on I'll be using HMC. I am sorry about confusing all of you.

I'm getting very excited about the upgrade coming up. I'm in the Dallas market, which I know is in the 12 that they are slated to upgrade.

I will miss my Hughes HD box as it has been the most reliable satellite receiver we've ever had, along with our Directivo. I do want to get the HMC when it comes out. The wife has already said that's what we are getting. It will be nice to be able to watch a recorded program no matter what TV we are watching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)