Any updates on MLB Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
2008 was one of their most profitable years in a long time. They ran a deficit after the strike, but profits have increased on the average every year since. This year they may be down, but that is pretty much the case with everything.

Subscriber costs have increased too as the public continues to gets fleeced...where are you getting this information?

Subscriber costs have increased too as the public continues to gets fleeced...where are you getting this information?
I am talking specifically about MLB in response to the comment about baseball not being like the NFL. Total revenue brought in my MLB and other sports through TV contracts, ticket sales, ex. I wasn't talking about sports packages and TV provider subs specifically.

Sorry for the confusion.

I am talking specifically about MLB in response to the comment about baseball not being like the NFL. Total revenue brought in my MLB and other sports through TV contracts, ticket sales, ex. I wasn't talking about sports packages and TV provider subs specifically.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ok...than it all make sense...

You are incorrect.

Please do your homework. This forum is a good place to start. D* attempted to bid for exclusive carriage rights like they have with ST and drove the price up. By the time government intervened, it was too late. Only deep-pocket cable companies could affort to pick it up again...and D* who drove the price up to begin with.

It was definitely a monopoly push...

Thanks for the advice, but homework is not required to post in these forums. If it were, forum posting would decrease by at least 95%...

Please consult your dictionary for the meaning of monopoly. It means exclusivity. Since several cable companies plus Fios offer EI, it is not exclusive and therefore not a monopoly. And Dish could have it too, but the price is too steep for Charlie.

If cable companies can afford it, then why not Dish? Because Charlie offers a substandard product because he won't negotiate HD rights with several of the RSN's and he knows he will be unable attract enough subscribers.

He gets away with the substandard CI broadcasts because it is cheaper than EI and he doesn't need as many subscribers to support it.

Just my humble opinion, offered without doing any homework...:)

Thanks for the advice, but homework is not required to post in these forums. If it were, forum posting would decrease by at least 95%...

Please consult your dictionary for the meaning of monopoly. It means exclusivity. Since several cable companies plus Fios offer EI, it is not exclusive and therefore not a monopoly. And Dish could have it too, but the price is too steep for Charlie.

If cable companies can afford it, then why not Dish? Because Charlie offers a substandard product because he won't negotiate HD rights with several of the RSN's and he knows he will be unable attract enough subscribers.

He gets away with the substandard CI broadcasts because it is cheaper than EI and he doesn't need as many subscribers to support it.

Just my humble opinion, offered without doing any homework...:)

And like all little kids who refuse to do their homework...you don't learn anything! lol..

Lesson 1: Get your facts straight.

Well...if you are ticked off about EI not being on Dish...place the blame squarely on where it belongs. MLB and D*. D*'s attempt at creating a monopoly on sports packs and MLB greed is what drive the cost up too high for E* to be able to effectively turn a profit. Without the deep pockets of the cable conglomerates or the existing subscriber base of D*...when the price got jacked up, business decisions needed to be made....

I'd go back to comcast if you want EI bad enough...don't reward the atrocity...

that is what I said. I did not say D* HAD a monopoly. You just told a boldface lie.

Lesson 2: Your little "if cable can why can't dish" argument is ignorant. Cable companies are empires compared to Dish, run almost like public utilities in that the rely on municipal infrastructures. They have MUCH deeper pockets and certainly many more subs than a relatively smaller company like Dish and thus can afford to offer more. Its no secret (if you did your homework) that Charlies decision to drop EI was a financial one based on carriage costs resulting from the D* imposed bidding war for exclusive broadcasting rights. His existing subscriber base was not enough to cover the anticipated carriage costs. Its simple cost benefit analysis.

Lesson 3: The definition of Monopoly

Monopoly: (economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller; "a monopoly on silver"; "when you have a monopoly you can ask any price ...

Directv currently has a monopoly on Sunday Ticket, and made a very valiant attempt at one with Extra innings. The powers that be prevented that from happening, but not before the price could skyrocket.

Google away and read all about it...

Your post is very un-informed and ill-advised. if you're going to attack someone, like I said...at least do your homework to avoid embarrassment. Just some friendly advice...

Last edited:
And like all little kids who refuse to do their homework...you don't learn anything! lol..

Lesson 1: Get your facts straight.

that is what I said. I did not say D* HAD a monopoly. You just told a boldface lie.

Lesson 2: Your little "if cable can why can't dish" argument is ignorant. Cable companies are empires compared to Dish, run almost like public utilities in that the rely on municipal infrastructures. They have MUCH deeper pockets and certainly many more subs than a relatively smaller company like Dish and thus can afford to offer more. Its no secret (if you did your homework) that Charlies decision to drop EI was a financial one based on carriage costs resulting from the D* imposed bidding war for exclusive broadcasting rights. His existing subscriber base was not enough to cover the anticipated carriage costs. Its simple cost benefit analysis.

Lesson 3: The definition of Monopoly

Directv currently has a monopoly on Sunday Ticket, and made a very valiant attempt at one with Extra innings. The powers that be prevented that from happening, but not before the price could skyrocket.

Google away and read all about it...

Your post is very un-informed and ill-advised. if you're going to attack someone, like I said...at least do your homework to avoid embarrassment. Just some friendly advice...

I think you got it wrong. You attacked me and I responded.

And I'm not going to argue with you about the many meanings of monopoly or "monopoly push"-- except to say that there is no monopoly on EI preventing Dish from offering it to their subscribers.

I am not embarrassed about my posts. They are my opinion. If you feel they are uninformed and ill-advised, then ignore them -- like I ignore your self-proclaimed "facts" on why Dish doesn't offer EI, in spite of the fact that most other providers do...

I think you got it wrong. You attacked me and I responded.

And I'm not going to argue with you about the many meanings of monopoly or "monopoly push"-- except to say that there is no monopoly on EI preventing Dish from offering it to their subscribers.

I am not embarrassed about my posts. They are my opinion. If you feel they are uninformed and ill-advised, then ignore them -- like I ignore your self-proclaimed "facts" on why Dish doesn't offer EI, in spite of the fact that most other providers do...

Oh, I'm pretty correct about everything right now...

To ignore or deny the facts does not change them You are as entitled to you're opinion as anyone, even my daughter is entitled to her opinion that the easter bunny is real. But please, its very disrespectful to attack people by telling lies about what they said. And second, if you are going to refute my opinion, at least back it up with something more than just an emotive reply, because you honestly have NO clue what you are talking about. A little bit of knowledge will help your credibility a great deal....

Thank you

Last edited:
Oh, I'm pretty correct about everything right now...

To ignore or deny the facts does not change them You are as entitled to you're opinion as anyone, even my daughter is entitled to her opinion that the easter bunny is real. But please, its very disrespectful to attack people by telling lies about what they said. And second, if you are going to refute my opinion, at least back it up with something more than just an emotive reply, because you honestly have NO clue what you are talking about. A little bit of knowledge will help your credibility a great deal....

Thank you

You have, in your previous posts, called me a liar, ignorant and uninformed and indicated I should be embarrassed by my posts. Now you tell me I am clueless. And you tell me I am disrespectful? When did you become master of the forums?

As I told you before, if you don't like my posts, don't read them. None of them are directed to you personally in any way -- just my opinion on a subject I'm sure you didn't invent.

By the way, please don't offer me any more unsolicited advice. I think you know what you can do with it...

You have, in your previous posts, called me a liar, ignorant and uninformed and indicated I should be embarrassed by my posts. Now you tell me I am clueless. And you tell me I am disrespectful? When did you become master of the forums?

As I told you before, if you don't like my posts, don't read them. None of them are directed to you personally in any way -- just my opinion on a subject I'm sure you didn't invent.

By the way, please don't offer me any more unsolicited advice. I think you know what you can do with it...

Um...

For one, you DID lie...I don't need to call you a liar since that's the case...

I said your posts were ignorant and uninformed since you readily admitted that you didn't bother to research the basis for any of your commentary. I was only agreeing with you.

You attacked me from the start by telling a boldface lie about something you claim I have said, and thats all I was responding too...you say 'not directed at me personally'...but lying about somebody is pretty personal...

And the only reason I think you should be embarrassed by your posts is because you are obviously trolling for attention. I don't know why...but I'm trying to be polite here and you keep picking a fight. That is why you should be embarrassed, of not for at least anything you have said...

Now if you don't like anything I said, than don't read it...you are free to move on since you clearly don't have an point in being here other than to cause trouble...

Looks like that there are Dish subs who would want the MLB network, though from what I have read from the earlier posts before they started going off a bit, I think the only way Dish folks are going to see MLB Network is by adding or switching to cable or Direct I can see how it would suck I would be mad if the channel was NFL Network, I guess it comes down to are you ready to switch becouse of one channel, appears some are at least in posts they have written

Looks like that there are Dish subs who would want the MLB network, though from what I have read from the earlier posts before they started going off a bit, I think the only way Dish folks are going to see MLB Network is by adding or switching to cable or Direct I can see how it would suck I would be mad if the channel was NFL Network, I guess it comes down to are you ready to switch becouse of one channel, appears some are at least in posts they have written

That pretty much sums it up. Though it would royally suck for D* to essentially benefit from a problem they had a major hand in causing...

That pretty much sums it up. Though it would royally suck for D* to essentially benefit from a problem they had a major hand in causing...
It is only a problem if you dont have D* or a cable company that offers it:p

I kid.
I really wish E* had this channel, many subs would enjoy it. I caught the Dodgers/Mets on it last night, and the PQ is top notch

It is only a problem if you dont have D* or a cable company that offers it:p

I kid.
I really wish E* had this channel, many subs would enjoy it. I caught the Dodgers/Mets on it last night, and the PQ is top notch

Tell me about it. I would love to have this channel, which is why get so ticked off in these discussions. Its the perfect EI alternative for those of us who don't want to throw money at EI, yet to be denied it because of EI is just ridiculous. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Tell me about it. I would love to have this channel, which is why get so ticked off in these discussions. Its the perfect EI alternative for those of us who don't want to throw money at EI, yet to be denied it because of EI is just ridiculous. Stupid, stupid, stupid...
I can understand why they do it, but I can also understand why a sports fan that does not want to put forth the money for EI and has E* would be upset.
It is all about the money.

I know it's a little on the expensive side and slightly off topic, but MLB.tv is a perfect alternative to EI. It costs much less, and from what I've viewed over the last month, the picture quality is better than the regional sports HD channels on Dish. Better is relative, however. Closeup shots are as good or better, but the background/crowds are more pixelated and the compression is a little more apparent.

I know it's a little on the expensive side and slightly off topic, but MLB.tv is a perfect alternative to EI. It costs much less, and from what I've viewed over the last month, the picture quality is better than the regional sports HD channels on Dish. Better is relative, however. Closeup shots are as good or better, but the background/crowds are more pixelated and the compression is a little more apparent.
Plus you have the disadvantage of having to watch it on your computer. I prefer to sit on the couch with a cold one and the game on the big screen, instead of sitting at my desk watching a game on my computer.

Plus you have the disadvantage of having to watch it on your computer. I prefer to sit on the couch with a cold one and the game on the big screen, instead of sitting at my desk watching a game on my computer.

I have my PC set up on my Plasma, so I just switch inputs between the two regionals I get on Dish Network and MLB.tv. Love seat with a cold one in tow. :up

Everyone should ditch using a computer at a desk unless they really want to. I have a regular computer monitor on the right side of the room on a desk with a 20ft. DVI cable connected to the 2nd input on my graphics card.

http://www.breakfasttray.com/store/500.htm

That thing has completely changed the way I view my computer since I no longer have restrictions. Just invest in a good wireless M&KB combo and you're good to go with your new Command Center. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts