Anyone else having these problems?

tmdb

Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I've had Voom for about a month now and have to say I really enjoy it except for some annoying problems I'm having. The first problem has been occuring all along. When I'm surfing through the channels and stop and a certain channel sometimes the picture doesn't appear (just a white fuzzy screen). If I go up or down one channel and then return to that particular channel the picture usually returns. This also happens sometimes with the sound on certain channels too. The Voom CSR explained that it may be the DVI cable but I suspect the STB so they are switching out both. The CSR recommended going to a component cable because of some reports of DVI problems but I'm worried about losing picture quality. I'm hoping the new DVI cable/STB will solve this problem. The other problem I'm having lately is that while watching a station sometimes the picture will just go out without warning. This problem is occuring more and more lately. Same solution as above will resolve problem. Just wondering if anyone else is having these problems or has any ideas. Thanks!

tmdb said:
I've had Voom for about a month now and have to say I really enjoy it except for some annoying problems I'm having. The first problem has been occuring all along. When I'm surfing through the channels and stop and a certain channel sometimes the picture doesn't appear (just a white fuzzy screen). If I go up or down one channel and then return to that particular channel the picture usually returns. This also happens sometimes with the sound on certain channels too. The Voom CSR explained that it may be the DVI cable but I suspect the STB so they are switching out both. The CSR recommended going to a component cable because of some reports of DVI problems but I'm worried about losing picture quality. I'm hoping the new DVI cable/STB will solve this problem.

These are known problems - losing picture or sound while changing channels. A replacement stb will not change this for you. I wish the VOOM csr's would come here and educate themselves before give off the wall answers.

"The other problem I'm having lately is that while watching a station sometimes the picture will just go out without warning. This problem is occuring more and more lately. Same solution as above will resolve problem. Just wondering if anyone else is having these problems or has any ideas. Thanks"

This one is new and I have not seen it and others have not reported the same. Maybe an stb replacement will fix this for you. Any particular channel where this happening? Do you have your screen saver off? I have my screen saver off. I know that when the screen saver was on a lot of us were experiencing the guide doing weird things. Maybe the behavior has changed with the new software and it is producing this new behavior of losing picture.

By the way, welcome to the forum. I just noticed that this was your first post.

Thanks Sean and no it is not any one particular channel. Also, my screen saver is off...

Yes, this "other" problem is new. I don't remember anyone else reporting it. Do you have the latest software (5.68)? Might be a bad STB, cable or even a problem with the input in your TV set. Try changing cables and inputs first. If nothing helps, replace the STB.

Has anyone had the problem of skipping channels when surfing up and down? For instance, going straight from Cinema1 to Cinema3. I can scroll back down and Cinema2 will appear. I don't know whether it's the remote or the STB that is causing this. It doesn't seem to happen in the PG, only when actually changing channels.

The skipping channels has done that on mine a few times. I think that is just normal as I have had other DSR'S and satellite recievers that will do that. The remote is pretty sensitive on the Voom reciever.

Lem52

Sometimes when I tuen to an OTA channel I get a message telling me it is not receiving a signal. When I hit "enter" a second time it usually comes in. So far I am receiving all the OTA channels that I received through Direct TV's box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)