Anything is possible but in all fairness...

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I personally do not see alternatives for Voom's survival. I think the latest filing has proclaimed the end. Is there anything beyond this? Yes, you could ask and remain optimistic but wouldn't you think that we had heard about it by now. This is just my opinion but I think it is time to start thinking about another provider if you do not have another one right now. My bill ends on the 24th of April but I will probably end it before. Of course, if I hear anything different, I will post but I haven't and it looks like the demise of VOOM has come and we will start seeing the shutdown procedures in the coming days. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Truly a Sad Day for ALL…

I wonder if it’s too late to upgrade to the VaVaVoom package and ride it out to the end? I hate to see voom go and would want to get in as much Voomin as possible before April 30. :(

Do you think they'll release the DVR on April 29!

Sean, you guys ran a great forum here. I dumped Voom back in spetember or october of last year (due to lack of DVR) but have been lurking ever since just to keep up with it all. Thanks!

My personal believe is that you guys are the one that made the forum a great resource of information. Yes, it got heated at times and a few people we had to ban. But we try to give everyone a fair chance to express themselves one way or another. We only hope that some of you can stay as we will start using our creativity to put/make our HD forum more visible. HD is here to stay and has taken a step back first with Encore HD going dark and now VOOM going dark on 4/30/05. We will try to bring you the best of what we can offer in HD. Thanks for your support through coming here or becoming a supporter of the site. We appreciate you as well.

Sean Mota said:
My personal believe is that you guys are the one that made the forum a great resource of information. Yes, it got heated at times and a few people we had to ban. But we try to give everyone a fair chance to express themselves one way or another. We only hope that some of you can stay as we will start using our creativity to put/make our HD forum more visible. HD is here to stay and has taken a step back first with Encore HD going dark and now VOOM going dark on 4/30/05. We will try to bring you the best of what we can offer in HD. Thanks for your support through coming here or becoming a supporter of the site. We appreciate you as well.
One of those Few who may have been a little to harsh:, " Good JOb ",We all what the same HDTV Programing, just different way's of expressing it:::

Just called Voom, and my install is on for Noon today.

I figure if it happens, the worst I get out of the deal is an OTA antenna.

Mark Kays said:
Just called Voom, and my install is on for Noon today.

I figure if it happens, the worst I get out of the deal is an OTA antenna.

Why are they still installing? Doesn't make any sense for a service about to go down. Evenif they recall all equipment, they've paid the installer a couple hundred and get only $49 for April from you. Doesn't make any sense at all, unless something really IS going on we don't kow about.

Antenna

Can anyone tell me if the antenna will still broadcast my local channels when voom shuts down the service?

thanks

Sean Mota said:
HD is here to stay and has taken a step back first with Encore HD going dark and now VOOM going dark on 4/30/05. We will try to bring you the best of what we can offer in HD. Thanks for your support through coming here or becoming a supporter of the site. We appreciate you as well.

Sean,

To myself, when it comes to the subject of providing available HD programming,...... it is a huge step back.

Voom carries the HD feeds for TMC, STARZ, and MAX.

D* and E* don't do this and from what I understand they don't have any plans to do so in the near future.

I will miss these as much as I will miss the Cinema pack. Like I miss EncoreHD.

rydercup said:
Can anyone tell me if the antenna will still broadcast my local channels when voom shuts down the service?

thanks

There will be no problem with the antenna. The question is once the satellite stops receiving a signal, could it function as an OTA receiver only. Some say yes and some say no. If VOOM is not planning to collect the receivers, it will be great to have them work for OTA only.

My question is, why wouldn't they have sent word down the pipeline that VOOM is done? IF you phone CSR's they will tell you, we are still in business, please call us later today for more info., for we have heard nothing outside of the same press release that you have read.

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why wouldn't they just tell the managers, who in turn could tell the CSR's?

The VOOM website has the Doomsday message now. I guess that's it. Sheesh!

Guys, I'm going to ride it out to the end.. I'm still expecting Charles Dolan to get shot up in a rocket and he will grab rainbow 1 and move it to a secret moon base for us all.

This is the best service to ever hit the air, and I'd rather ride it out to the last second than switch to an inferior POS service 1 second early. We don't know when exactly Voom's last day is, or if it WILL have a last day, you never know if the Voom HD exclusives gets syndicated to another provider.

In any case if I switch to D* or E* I'll still hang around here and reluctantly post in those forums about the cool 3-4 HD channels I'll have and maybe start agreeing with certain forum members around here about how cool Bikini Destinations is on HDNet.

called their customer support and they indicated that they are still doing installations, and plan for a transition.

The Future...

Voom as a service is probably doomed. My personal hope is that that they sell their channels to D*. I have D* and I am generally satisfied with most of their offerings but their lack of HDTV offerings is criminal, which is the reason I added Voom as a supplement to D*. So my main hope is that they sell most if not all of their exclusives to D*, especially Monster, Rave, and Guy TV. And if Direct TV adds the missing Cinemax and Starz HD offerings that would be perfect. Just my two cents. Comments?

I will ride my VaVaVoom out to the end. :heart

I am not looking forward to picking a replacement provider. D* is out of the question for me, so I will be choosing between E* and Comcast... Lucky me :rolleyes:

dlma1 said:
Voom as a service is probably doomed. My personal hope is that that they sell their channels to D*. I have D* and I am generally satisfied with most of their offerings but their lack of HDTV offerings is criminal, which is the reason I added Voom as a supplement to D*. So my main hope is that they sell most if not all of their exclusives to D*, especially Monster, Rave, and Guy TV. And if Direct TV adds the missing Cinemax and Starz HD offerings that would be perfect. Just my two cents. Comments?

I have the same reasoning as I kept my D* just in case Voom was officially shutdown.

I bought my first HD over 6 years ago and before I got Voom all I could get from D*was 6 HD channels and OTA stuff I never watch.

All I want is HD....period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts