Apollo cuts DISH customer access to its local stations in 10 markets

Here is my gripe using local Off air USB adapter on dish... I am in the charlotte nc market and lost ABC.... You don't get any guide data! You only get this channel has been removed. Contact Appollo!! Real annoying!

These disagreements eat into my infomercial time on the local channels. How can I watch infomercials on the weekend in the afternoon... if I don't have access to my local channels? Come on Dish, agree for me to pay that extra premium so I can bring infomercials back on my TV on the weekend. ...
You're in luck! I maintain a list of infomercial and shopping channels that Dish offers absolutely free, all of the time:

Shopping:
71 QVC
72 VALU
73 QVC3
74 HSN
81 ICTV
83 JTV
85 EPIC
86 MALL
87 SMART
94 RENEW
95 DEAL
104 VALU
123 MALL
134 SHPHQ
137 QVC
220 MALL
221 CRAFT
224 EPIC
225 SALE
226 HSN2
227 JTV
228 YOUTV
229 GEMS
230 ICTV
255 QVC2
275 YOUTV
276 SMART
278 DEAL
282 VALU
287 HSN
883 VALU

(There are more channels than this, but some of those are just duplicate channel numbers of the ones listed above, and others require a subscription.)

Yes, I realize that the question was sarcastic, but since you asked...

Here is my gripe using local Off air USB adapter on dish... I am in the charlotte nc market and lost ABC.... You don't get any guide data! You only get this channel has been removed. Contact Appollo!! Real annoying!
Yes, this dispute seems to have caught Dish completely off guard. Normally, they prepare for this type of dispute, usually months in advance, by uplinking separate guide data streams for the OTA versions of the channels that will potentially be impacted by a dispute, while removing the link from the OTA channel to the satellite-delivered channel's guide data. In the case of this dispute, there was absolutely nothing about these stations in the uplink reports, until the channels were suddenly removed.

I forget if Dish isn’t allowed to push it through.

I forget if Dish isn’t allowed to push it through.
I still get guide info on my Dish receiver for the local Scripps-owned OTA station, WEWS. Here is the uplink report where they made the change to the way they deliver the OTA guide data for this station:

New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels NOT Available
13297 WEWS CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) added to 110° 31s9 (NWPennsylvania) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
Other Changes
5200 WEWS (5 HD Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 129° 1s25 (East Ohio) HD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)
5200 WEWS (5 HD Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 61.5° 22s4 (Ohio) HD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)
8510 WEWS (5 Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 110° 31s9 (NWPennsylvania) SD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)

So, Dish clearly is allowed to provide OTA guide data for stations in dispute, if Dish has enough time to prepare for the upcoming dispute. Otherwise, viewers of the affected OTA stations will just have to wait until Dish finally gets around to making changes similar to the changes shown above, if Dish ever bothers to do so.

Apollo cuts DISH customer access to its local stations in 10 markets

July 22, 2020

- Apollo's Cox Media Group stations dark on DISH as temporary restraining order expires
- Apollo blacks out stations despite customers' need for access to local channels during COVID-19 pandemic

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., July 22, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- International private equity firm, Apollo Global Management, today blacked out DISH customers' access to its local channels in 10 markets.
"We don't understand why Apollo is choosing to put customers in the middle of its negotiations, especially during a global pandemic when customers need access to local news and programming," said Andy LeCuyer, DISH senior vice president of programming. "We have offered to apply our current agreement — with higher rates — to keep their channels available and avoid any service interruption while we continue to negotiate, but they refused, demanding a 40-percent increase to rates agreed to last year. We want to come to a long-term agreement that is fair for our customers."

DISH and Apollo have ongoing litigation about whether DISH's carriage agreement for the Cox stations was prematurely terminated when Apollo acquired those stations. In January, the Cook County (Illinois) Circuit Court entered a temporary restraining order that enjoined Apollo from interfering with DISH's right to retransmit the Cox stations under the original Cox agreement. The case was later transferred to federal court and, earlier today, the federal court dissolved the temporary restraining order.
DISH requested Apollo's consent to allow the stations to remain on the air after dissolution of the temporary restraining order, but Apollo rejected DISH's request — even though DISH offered to pay increased rates for the stations going forward, and to true-up any amounts found owing if Apollo ultimately prevails in the parties' litigation. Apollo's decision to black out its channels inhibits customers from getting their local programming as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect the nation. DISH has worked with the owners of 49 stations who have all agreed to set aside contractual disputes and accept comparable offers to keep local stations on the air, given the current pandemic situation and the resulting harm blackouts would cause consumers.

Affected Stations
Apollo's action affects viewers of local stations in the following markets:
  • WSB-TV, Channel 2 (ABC, Atlanta, GA)
  • WFXT-TV, Channel 25 (FOX, Boston, MA)
  • WSOC-TV, Channel 9 (ABC, Charlotte, NC)
  • WAXN-TV, Channel 64 (IND, Charlotte, NC)
  • WHIO-TV, Channel 7 (CBS, Dayton, OH)
  • WFOX-TV, Channel 30 (FOX, Jacksonville, FL)
  • WFOX2-TV, Channel 32 (MNT, Jacksonville, FL)
  • WHBQ-TV, Channel 13 (FOX, Memphis, TN)
  • WFTV-TV, Channel 9 (ABC, Orlando, FL)
  • WRDQ-TV, Channel 27 (IND, Orlando, FL)
  • WPXI-TV, Channel 11 (NBC, Pittsburg, PA)
  • KIRO-TV, Channel 7 (CBS, Seattle, WA)
  • KOKI-TV, Channel 23 (FOX, Tulsa, OK)
  • KMYT-TV, Channel 41 (MNT, Tulsa, OK)
DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.
Is DISH going to provide tuners and antennas for free this time?

Reactions: pattykay
I still get guide info on my Dish receiver for the local Scripps-owned OTA station, WEWS. Here is the uplink report where they made the change to the way they deliver the OTA guide data for this station:

13297 WEWS CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) added to 110° 31s9 (NWPennsylvania) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
Other Changes
5200 WEWS (5 HD Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 129° 1s25 (East Ohio) HD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)
5200 WEWS (5 HD Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 61.5° 22s4 (Ohio) HD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)
8510 WEWS (5 Local) CLEVELAND, OH (ABC) 110° 31s9 (NWPennsylvania) SD Cleveland, OH market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (5-01)

So, Dish clearly is allowed to provide OTA guide data for stations in dispute, if Dish has enough time to prepare for the upcoming dispute. Otherwise, viewers of the affected OTA stations will just have to wait until Dish finally gets around to making changes similar to the changes shown above, if Dish ever bothers to do so.
I was quite surprised that I'm not getting OTA guide data for my ABC- Apollo station currently in dispute. I can give 2 flinks about the dispute but would like the guide data considering I had the guide data last time CBS was in dispute for about a month.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I was quite surprised that I'm not getting OTA guide data for my ABC- Apollo station currently in dispute. I can give 2 flinks about the dispute but would like the guide data considering I had the guide data last time CBS was in dispute for about a month.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Indeed, not getting guide data for WAXN or WSOC. So I just split the coax from the antenna and plugged one into the tv, that way I get the guide data from the station :)

I know it sucks for recording purposes, but it's something.

looks like dish has changed the OTA Mapping for WSOC and WAXN Charlotte Locals today. I see no guide data now but I assume it will update later on today. At least it doesn't shows the dispute message anymore.

Reactions: pattykay
I didn't realize the local Fox was under new ownership.
Since I am receiving the channel with an antenna for free I am not blacked out.
Dish supplied and installed an antenna for free. I think I had to pay for the adapter.
It is only right that due to this free television station wanting so much money Dish should keep their station off. It's not Dish's fault and it hurts innocent subscibers.
Dish falsely looks like they are responsible when the station should be supplying their channel for free since it is a free channel.
Ridiculous.

Back in the day before the TV stations were paid, we were much better off. There were no disputes on locals. The channels are free OTA, so they should be free on satellite or cable. I heard Apollo wants a 40% increase. I am a service business and I sure cannot raise my prices 40%. I would not have any business. It is the greed as the TV station owners know that people want their locals, so lets charge any amount we want. The viewer is the one who loses out.

looks like dish has changed the OTA Mapping for WSOC and WAXN Charlotte Locals today. I see no guide data now but I assume it will update later on today. At least it doesn't shows the dispute message anymore.
Yes, Dish added separate OTA guide data streams for the stations in this dispute today:

13007 KIRO SEATTLE, WA (CBS) added to 119° 5sA01 (Seattle) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13008 KMYT TULSA, OK (MYTV) added to 110° 4s20 (SW Missouri) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13095 KOKI TULSA, OK (FOX) added to 129° 14s36 (Oklahoma) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13096 WAXN KANNAPOLIS, NC added to 110° 26s6 (West Carolinas) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13097 WFOX JACKSONVILLE, FL (FOX) added to 110° 23s3 (South Georgia) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13098 WFOX2 JACKSONVILLE, FL (FOX) added to 110° 23s3 (South Georgia) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-02)
13099 WFTV ORLANDO, FL (ABC) added to 110° 12s1 (South Florida) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13100 WFXT BOSTON, MA (FOX) added to 61.5° 23s23 (VT/NH/MA/CT/RI) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13101 WHBQ MEMPHIS, TN (FOX) added to 110° 20s14 (NW Tennessee) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13102 WHIO DAYTON, OH (CBS) added to 129° 4s25 (East Ohio) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13103 WPXI PITTSBURGH, PA (NBC) added to 110° 29s9 (NWPennsylvania) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13104 WRDQ ORLANDO, FL (ABC) added to 110° 12s1 (South Florida) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13105 WSB ATLANTA, GA (ABC) added to 129° 4s43 (NW Georgia) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13106 WSOC CHARLOTTE, NC (ABC) added to 129° 7s39 (North Carolina) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)

Call them and ask...
This question was for a relative that lives in Florida. Apparently the apartment building she lives in is a "corporate" account which means that DISH doesnt provide service or free antennas! RIP-OFF! Anyone heard of this???? They should still send an adapter and indoor antenna. (DISH gave her $5 a month :-( )

This question was for a relative that lives in Florida. Apparently the apartment building she lives in is a "corporate" account which means that DISH doesnt provide service or free antennas! RIP-OFF! Anyone heard of this???? They should still send an adapter and indoor antenna. (DISH gave her $5 a month :-( )
It looks like her argument should be with the apartment management, not Dish...

Back in the day before the TV stations were paid, we were much better off. There were no disputes on locals. The channels are free OTA, so they should be free on satellite or cable. I heard Apollo wants a 40% increase. I am a service business and I sure cannot raise my prices 40%. I would not have any business. It is the greed as the TV station owners know that people want their locals, so lets charge any amount we want. The viewer is the one who loses out.
Local networks were much better back in the day when they cared about our viewership!! We had good shows to watch! 80s and 90s were the best years! I mean we had Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas on the same night! The Cosby Show etc... tv was great! Now all the local channels care about now is how much money can they raise and talk about paid infomercials and to have the best looking newscast! It’s not about us viewers anymore...... Nope!

Reactions: dishdude
Send me her address in a private message, and I will send her the indoor antenna. It is the same type that Dish is giving away for free, since that is how I got it, during another Dish / local channel dispute. I am out of OTA adapters, but AirTV sells a compatible dual-tuner adapter for less than what Dish would charge for theirs.

Other Changes

Same thing with WXYZ in Detroit the guide info is available

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: pattykay and satjay