Apple Event on October 22, 2013

Got my Mac mini updated. Working on updating my wife's Mac mini. Hers is taking longer.

20% lighter and minor (to us) speed improvements, does not tempt us to upgrade from our engraved iPad 3.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Got my Mac mini updated. Working on updating my wife's Mac mini. Hers is taking longer.

How do you like the Mac Mini? A friend of mine saw my gaming PC connected to my TV through HDMI. He had no idea people did this and now he wants me to build him a PC to hook up to his TV. He wants it for HD movie rips, Netflix, and high quality music he can play on his Onkyo AVR. He has no interest in gaming.

I was thinking about suggesting a Mac Mini since he doesn't need a GPU and the form factor is much nicer for a entertainment center than anything I could build him. He could probably get by with his desktop computer streaming to a DLNA capable device in the living room but he seems to want a home theater PC and I think the Mac Mini might be perfect for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After Mavericks, I needed to log in to everything all over again. Also, I had App Store updates for iMovie and iPhoto which took another 2 GB of downloads. So I'm waiting until tomorrow (even though it's today now) to explore further.

Loaded iOS 7.0.2 on both my wife's iPad Retina and my iPhone 5, and have not had any issues with it yet. Give it a couple of days or a week, before issues start popping up. I did not like when it started, that you had to go through the whole setup process again, as if it was a major release, along with going through the Keychain part.

It will be interesting if they fixed the whole Parallax complaint. I found no problems with it causing motion sickness. I found it rather nice that it made the folders stick out from the background.

If you have a "legacy" copy of iWorks 09 that came on a DVD and not from the App Store, you might struggle to get the free update. Here is what I did.

1) Create a new user account test.
2) Log-in.
3) Go to App Store, the 3 iWorks apps show the availabilie upgrade. I upgraded.
4) Log-out, and go back in main account. Go to App Store, the iWorks apps show up. BUT I had to re-install the upgrades. Then voila! I had the 2013 versions.

And I like the look of the new apps. Very nice. Pages actually looks modern, and might even be useful. Keynote is MUCH easier. Hasta la vista PowerPoint. Particularly now that I can use www.icloud.com to run keynote presentations in the classroom on windoze machines.

I wonder how Numbers would stand up to Excel for any real work, but looking at the iWorks apps, it strikes me that for the average user - and average student - these three apps eliminate any need for having Microsoft Office. They are much improved. Particularly in usability. I love the side-bar on the right that includes a lot of formatting functionality.

Just picking nits but isn't it closer to 30% lighter than the previous model?

That's my fault. I originally posted 20% and Navy was probably basing his reply on my post. But then I realized that 1.4 pounds is not the same as the 1 pound 4 ounces I had in my head and used to get to a 20% decrease.

I noticed that the iMac AppStore was showing a higher count for updates than the number of apps it listed. When I went to the "Featured" page all of the iWork and iLife apps had update buttons but they weren't listed on the update page. Clicking the update button prompted me to enter the account information I wanted to associate my legacy apps with and then they installed.

I still show one update, but I haven't figured out what it is...

How do you like the Mac Mini? A friend of mine saw my gaming PC connected to my TV through HDMI. He had no idea people did this and now he wants me to build him a PC to hook up to his TV. He wants it for HD movie rips, Netflix, and high quality music he can play on his Onkyo AVR. He has no interest in gaming.

I was thinking about suggesting a Mac Mini since he doesn't need a GPU and the form factor is much nicer for a entertainment center than anything I could build him. He could probably get by with his desktop computer streaming to a DLNA capable device in the living room but he seems to want a home theater PC and I think the Mac Mini might be perfect for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We like them! I actually play some games and the Mac Mini does not slow down. The only thing it does differently when playing high resolution games is you hear the fan speed up. The Mini is a really good computer for most people who would use it. It uses laptop parts so the power consumption is very low.

I haven't seen where I can get the iWork suite; it looks like I have to get each application separately.

I restarted the iMac and the mysterious update went away. Neutron, I also had to update them individually. I don't think the AppStore lists them as packages.

I'd have to but the iWork suite but I'd hate to pay $20 for each app if Apple has one price for the suite. I'd really like to replace Office 2011.

After my upgrade to Mavericks, everything seemed to work just fine. That is until I cranked up MT-Newswatcher, my favorite usenet client.

Dead on delivery!! Seems Open Transport, which was a very old part of the core, is now gone and MT-Newswatcher used it. Since the developer long ago abandoned support and updates for it, I guess I'll have to switch to something I'm not gonna like as much!! :(

Currently using Thunderbird for this, but I've never been a Thunderbird fan.

I'd have to but the iWork suite but I'd hate to pay $20 for each app if Apple has one price for the suite. I'd really like to replace Office 2011.

It is only free if you buy a new Mac or iOS device, OR if you own iWorks '09. In the latter case, follow the directions i posted above.

Office 2011 for Mac is not terrible, and Excel is still a workhorse. But the iWorks program updates are pretty nice. Using Keynote 2013 for iCloud in class in 15 minutes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)