Apple Event on October 22, 2013

I paused the download then unpaused it and it is going along quickly again. :D

I wonder how fast it would have been at home on my 150 mbps connection? :)

I am very tempted to pick up a 13" i5 128GB MacBook Pro for $1299 or a 13" i5 256GB MacBook Pro for $1499. At that price I would really like at least a low end discrete GPU for some light gaming on the road. The cheapest MacBook with discrete graphics is the 15" i7 512GB with an Nvida 750M for $2,599.

For comparison here are some Alienware models. I could get a 14" i5 with a 750GB HDD, 8GB ram, and Nvidia 750M GPU for $1,099. Another option would be an 18" model with i7 CPU, 8GB ram, 750GB HDD, and TWO Nvida 765M GPUs in SLI for $2,099.

That second option would truly be a gaming beast much more powerful than anything I would need on the road, capable of running any game at the highest settings for $500 less than Apple's cheapest model with discrete graphics. Not only that but it has 2 GPUs that are each more powerful than the single GPU in the MacBook pro.

Of course with Alienware you are giving up a lot of portability. That 14" Alienware weighs over 6 pounds compared to the MacBook pro 13" at 3.46 pounds. You would probably be lucky to get 2 hours out of the Aleinware's battery life too. I would really like something between what Apple and Alienware are offering. I wish Apple would allow more configuration options. If I could take the $1299 MacBook pro and add in a low to mid range GPU like the 750M for around $1500 -$1600 I would pick one up.

I am pretty sure Apple used to include discrete graphics on all MacBook pros and only put integrated graphics in the non-pro models. Now they are limiting it to the highest end models and including crappy integrated graphics on everything else. I thought a lot of people bought MacBook pros for video work. It seems like that would be incredibly inefficient without a GPU.

I like the dual screen feature.

I have what I am doing on my laptop screen, while I have live TV via DISHANYWHERE playing on my TV on my desk via the Apple TV.

The audio is coming out the TV and not the laptop. Its like having two computers! :)

Blah I just tried playing video on one screen while video is playing on the other and the sound only comes out the TV. It would be cool if the laptop played the audio on its screen and the second screen played the audio for its screen.

Blah I just tried playing video on one screen while video is playing on the other and the sound only comes out the TV. It would be cool if the laptop played the audio on its screen and the second screen played the audio for its screen.

Oh I'm sure they'll fix that "soon."

;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So any problems with Maverick so far? I was going to upgrade after work today but read a few websites that said it seemed to have slowed everything down after upgrading. I guess there's always some bugs to work out with new software. Maybe I should wait a while before upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Mine is fine. Some things seem faster, but that could just be my brain playing tricks with me. Haven't done much with tags yet. Want to.

Just tested messages - sent text from notification bar, got one back, and then replied from the notification window.

It doesn't seem faster overall, but not slower either. Except for Safari, it feels a bit sluggish.

I ran into 2 problems.

MT-Newswatcher crapped - wants some 'transport' service that was brought out for OS9 and carried through Mountain Lion. Won't work at all.

and a little mouse/keyboard/trackpad utility that I had wouldn't work either, wanting some change made in preferences. Unfortunately what they wanted changed isn't there anymore.

Overall all the other applications have worked just fine, including Sibelius and PhotoScore which are my two 'production' apps.

I'm trying to watch the event from my Apple TV (2nd gen) and even before I started downloading Mavericks on my 2011 Air, it has been freezing for a few seconds on and off. I'm not sure where the slow-up is occurring, but when I switched over to the Apple Events podcast, it picked up right away and is buffering nicely, even with Mavericks coming down.

The new 2014 galaxy note 10.1 is a 64bit quad core processor.

Here is a link to some of the rumored specs
http://m.androidcentral.com/hands-samsung-galaxy-note-101-2014

Hmmm... 2014 Galaxy note 10.1? Let me hop into my time machine and go grab one! Rumors aren't reality and you can't say that something that won't be out until next year is better than something today and then use that to support that the company releasing the product next year is dominating the company with the current product.

I think the big news is reducing the weight by 28%, that's a huge difference. I too believe that I will be moving from an iPad 3 to an iPad air. I watch enough video where the larger screen is worth it to me.

Edited to correct percentage of weight reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I'm about 20-25 minutes from finishing my Mavericks download. It's a pretty big download at 5.29 GB on my Air. I'm putting it on the Air first since that's "my" Mac. After playing with it for a week or so I'll update the Mini downstairs and give the Family a brief "here's what new" spiel...

I was just looking at the iPad lineup, I get they discontinued the 3/4 models, but why keep the 2 instead? Lower resolution, considerably under-powered compared to the 3. And why call the iPad 5 the iPad-Air, when there no longer is a device simply called the "iPad."? I just don't see the rationale. But I don't make the big bucks.

I'm about 20-25 minutes from finishing my Mavericks download. It's a pretty big download at 5.29 GB on my Air. I'm putting it on the Air first since that's "my" Mac. After playing with it for a week or so I'll update the Mini downstairs and give the Family a brief "here's what new" spiel...

And then you are 35 minutes from a completed updated OS. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)