Apple Event on October 22, 2013

Michael- Are you excited about the iPAD Air? When I heard it was weighing in at 1 pound, I though of you. :)

For the first time, I'm considering buying one for my personal use.

I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE. It's the *PERFECT* size! It weighs exactly one pound as well. However, its two year old technology and it seems "slow" to me, so its time for an upgrade. I cannot find a decent 8.9" Android replacement. I like most of the specs on the new Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, but the devs say Amazon has locked it down pretty good and it might be a while before they get a custom ROM for it.

Michael- Are you excited about the iPAD Air? When I heard it was weighing in at 1 pound, I though of you. :)

Ah, remembering the days of the old iPad 1 which I refused to buy because I thought it was too big. :)

My iPad 3 is still humming along nicely, it is in a relatively new apple smart case, I can't see - and don't have - spending $600 on a new one right now. My wife is still on an iPad 2 so she is next up for an upgrade. And while I "phone-me-down" iPhones with my kid, I don't know if an iPad-me-down would be worth the grief I might take.

And while 1 pound compared to 1.3 pounds would be nice, I am really curious what the smaller device (in terms of dimensions, not weight) will feel like in my hands. I didn't think they needed to do anything to the form-factor. Was quite happy with it. Am quite happy. AND am disappointed they did not include a fingerprint id in the new one.

I finally got around to upgrading to Maverick today. After the upgrade I noticed that numbers, keynote, and pages showed an update in the App Store. But after upgrading each app I noticed the original older versions were still shown in the dock on the bottom of the screen instead of the new versions. I can click on the launch pad and the new versions are there. So does that mean I have both versions of each app. I thought after upgrading the new apps would replace the old apps? Do I need to trash the original versions?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

You could keep using the original versions if you want, or delete them and use the new ones.

I was a bit surprised that the 'update' to the iWork apps didn't delete the originals as you would normally expect them to. I first noticed it when I opened Numbers for what I thought was the first time from my dock and was wondering where the new, more 'glamorous' look was! :)

For those that have upgraded to Mavericks, and those that are waiting, here is a couple of gotchas I've found already.

1. Open Transport is no longer there. That means that the usenet client MT-Newswatcher won't work. I've also heard that there is some database program (I couldn't get the poster to identify) quit working because of it. There will probably be no fix for MT-NW as the developer long ago quit working on it. If you are enamored of the MT-NW look and feel, then Thoth ($25 shareware) will work just fine and was based on MT-NW. Otherwise Unison is probably a good choice. For Thunderbird fans, you can still use it for usenet.

2. Sibelius 7 has a major flaw with Mavericks in that you can't send scores to ReWire. According to AVID that might not get fixed until the next paid upgrade to Sibelius.

You could keep using the original versions if you want, or delete them and use the new ones.

I was a bit surprised that the 'update' to the iWork apps didn't delete the originals as you would normally expect them to. I first noticed it when I opened Numbers for what I thought was the first time from my dock and was wondering where the new, more 'glamorous' look was! :)

Yeah, my launcher program Alfred found both. The iWork '09 software is in a folder, the new ones are in the main applications folder.

You could keep using the original versions if you want, or delete them and use the new ones. I was a bit surprised that the 'update' to the iWork apps didn't delete the originals as you would normally expect them to. I first noticed it when I opened Numbers for what I thought was the first time from my dock and was wondering where the new, more 'glamorous' look was! :)

I'm still learning some things on a Mac so help me understand. If I drag the original apps to the trash bin I assume it won't have any affect on the new versions? And how do I add the new versions to the dock to replace them?

Yeah, just drag the old folder, should be named iWork 09 or something, then empty the trash.

To get the new ones in the Dock, open Finder --> applications and drag each one that you want to the dock. The actual application will still be in the applications folder, I think what goes in the dock is some sort of alias pointing to it.

Also, once you start an app that is not in the dock, to keep it in the dock permanently, just drag it's doc icon to another spot in the dock or right click on it and select keep in dock.

I noticed another issue today with Maverick. Any time I get funny photos or videos via email I always save those in my documents. Well today I noticed the files are still there but most all of them are grayed out and it won't let me open any of them.

After my upgrade to Mavericks, everything seemed to work just fine. That is until I cranked up MT-Newswatcher, my favorite usenet client.

Dead on delivery!! Seems Open Transport, which was a very old part of the core, is now gone and MT-Newswatcher used it. Since the developer long ago abandoned support and updates for it, I guess I'll have to switch to something I'm not gonna like as much!! :(

Currently using Thunderbird for this, but I've never been a Thunderbird fan.

Well after a few days faunching around for a usenet reader I like, I ran across two that seem very good.

Unison - $30, available from App Store, or google and get a trial from the developer. Very clean and nice interface.

Thoth - $25, available only from the developer. Very MT-Newswatcher like since it is based on it. A little convoluted in setting up but otherwise a very powerful usenet client. The developer had abandoned it a few years back, but then re-did it and it is fully Mavericks compatible. If you loved/liked MT-Newswatcher, you'll feel the same with Thoth!

Thunderbird - free and worth every penny you pay! :(
I tried to like it, but it is just buggy enough to not want to even bother with. Quit using it and deleted it from my Mac.

I read that some users are experiencing freezes and kernel panics with Mavericks. So far it's been stable for me on my mid-2011 MacBook Air. The only two things that I have noticed as "annoying" are the Activity Monitor and the action of the Air's power button.

I used to have the Activity Monitor's CPU bar graph on my desktop and the Memory Usage on the dock. The Activity Monitor no longer has the memory pie graph and the CPU bar graph is now on the dock icon only.

When I wanted to power-down, I would press the power button which brought up a window asking what I wanted to do (shutdown, sleep, etc.) but now puts my Mac to sleep. I'm sure there's a way to change this in settings, but I haven't found it yet.

Mac sleep mode works so well, I never use shutdown. If the battery gets very low, it will do a shutdown anyway. Hold the power button for 1.5 seconds for the choices dialog or hold for 5 seconds for forced shutdown.

I try to remember to reboot about once every 1-2 weeks, as sometimes, after I have pushed the machine really hard, its good to give it a fresh start. But this thing works like a champ. 18 months of daily use on this macbook air and it is like new - other than the one ding I have in it's side near the headphone adapter. GRRRRR.... :)

Dang, my OSX Mavericks mbAir was off the battery for less than an hour and it dropped 40% battery. Whoa. Not the norm at all. :( I am used to getting 3-4 hours on battery.

Dang, my OSX Mavericks mbAir was off the battery for less than an hour and it dropped 40% battery. Whoa. Not the norm at all. :( I am used to getting 3-4 hours on battery.
If you mouse over the battery icon in the toolbar Mavericks will now show the top CPU (ab)using programs. When I was on the AT&T homepage, Safari was going bonkers. Going to another page (like SatelliteGuys) removed Safari from the naughty list.

If you mouse over the battery icon in the toolbar Mavericks will now show the top CPU (ab)using programs. When I was on the AT&T homepage, Safari was going bonkers. Going to another page (like SatelliteGuys) removed Safari from the naughty list.

Interesting. I just saw that Safari was being a hog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)