Apple Live Event: iPhone 6, Apple Watch

I restored from the latest backup from iCloud and then activated over the phone.

To be more specific, in case someone will be following these steps, here is how I transferred all my settings from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6:

Here is what I did on my old iPhone 5 in preparation for the upgrade:
1. Upgraded to iOS 8 (this step probably wasn't necessary, but i did it just in case 2 days in advance)
2. Made sure backup to iCloud was enabled (in iCloud settings)
3. Reviewed the list of items being backed up (in General Settings under Usage/Manage Storage), made sure that all important items were included, e.g. photos and videos.
4. Ran the Backup (in iCloud settings under Backup selected Back Up Now) - with my Wi-Fi connection this took 2 hours.
5. After completing the Backup I turned the Airplane Mode on to prevent any further changes on the old phone.

On the new iPhone 6:
6. I followed the initial onscreen configuration steps, connected to Wi-Fi.
7. When prompted, I selected the option to restore from my latest iCloud backup.
8. Once the setup was complete, I called AT&T to activate the phone (the number to call was included in the box)
9. As instructed on the phone, I turned the phone off for 5 minutes. When I turned it back on the phone was activated.
10. The initial configuration and phone activation took just a few minutes, but then I waited more than an hour for all my apps to load.

That's basically it. I also had to re-enter all of my email passwords (which were not saved in the backup for security reasons).

Thanks for the info on backup.
I don't think I remember calling to activate but I had always used iTunes.
Are folders there also for apps on the 6 like it was on 5 or did you need to create folders again?

Ilya- how long did they give you to turn in your old phone? And- by mail or to an Apple Store, your option?

Are folders there also for apps on the 6 like it was on 5 or did you need to create folders again?

Yes, all folders and apps came back exactly as they were on iPhone 5. A few new Apple apps were automatically added, which I didn't have installed before, like Numbers, Pages, Garage Band, etc.
Also I now have one extra line for icons, because the screen is bigger. Actually, during the installation I was given a choice either to use enlarged icons (in which case I wouldn't have the extra line), or to use smaller icons, which look about the same size as on iPhone 5.

Ilya- how long did they give you to turn in your old phone? And- by mail or to an Apple Store, your option?

I don't have to turn in my old phone. However, AT&T has a great trade-in promotion right now: they will give me $200 for any working iPhone (4 or above, $300 for 5s). I have received an email from AT&T confirming my eligibility and with instructions how to do it on-line. The promotion ends on September 30.

My plan is to pass my old (but recently replaced) iPhone 5 to another family member and trade in an iPhone 4. ;)

Today I used my iPhone 6 Plus a lot through the day... and at the moment my battery had 45% life left, which is very good. Normally by around 6pm its around 20%. I used it today more then I would normally use it, so I am very happy with the battery life. :D

Today I used my iPhone 6 Plus a lot through the day... and at the moment my battery had 45% life left, which is very good. Normally by around 6pm its around 20%. I used it today more then I would normally use it, so I am very happy with the battery life. :D
Does it feel awkward in your hand?
Or did it take some getting use to.
I'm 99% leaning to the Plus.

I don't have to turn in my old phone. However, AT&T has a great trade-in promotion right now: they will give me $200 for any working iPhone (4 or above, $300 for 5s). I have received an email from AT&T confirming my eligibility and with instructions how to do it on-line. The promotion ends on September 30.

My plan is to pass my old (but recently replaced) iPhone 5 to another family member and trade in an iPhone 4. ;)
Thanks. :(

Really. :(

I'll have to check, but I don't think I'm eligible yet. If they let me go early, I might Spring before I lose the credit. If not, I guess I'll be waiting for the iPhone 7 or 8.

Thank gosh for "Large" and "Very Large." Even with bifocal contacts AND reading glasses!

I've switched to Zoomed View and I think I will keep it for now. Bigger icons and bigger fonts. Much easier on my eyes!

There is no iPad's "landscape" mode on iPhone 6, if that's what you mean. It's only on iPhone 6 Plus.

As for applications that use landscape orientation - they work fine in Zoom View. I think they use the same resolution as iPhone 5, but on a bigger screen.

Last edited:
I went to an AT&T store today to trade in an old iPhone 4. Got a $200 card. Not bad at all!
The card can only be used at AT&T, but that's ok with me. I will just pay my monthly bill with it.

The trade-in from Verizon for my wife's iPhone 4S will go to purchase my son an iPhone 6 for his birthday. My wife will take my 5S, and therefore... I will also get a 6. And will then trade in Nicks 5. The games we play. Should only cost us $200 total.

Now I need to figure out if this Edge program is worth it. I truly am not sure. Anyone with advice on that? We will have 3 phones on a 6 or 8GB plan.