Apple watch wOS3 is here.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I'm in the process now of doing the upgrade. It is taking over 90 minutes! I'm using the original Apple watch with the single core processor. We have had 3 new versions: Original, series 1, and just now series 2

The series 2 now is water proof has a bigger battery and has built in GPS. Series 1 just offered a dual core processor.

I'd love to upgrade my original Apple watch but I want to see how wOS3 performs first.

Reactions: navychop
Also have the Original Series 1 or as some websites are calling it Series 0 since there is a new Series 1 and 2, I do like the GPS feature in the new 2, download and install took me around 3 hours on update release day, so far I am happy with OS3, seems faster

I understand the Series 2 is thicker.

dangue- what are you looking forward to, GPS, waterproof or faster processor? I look forward to your reports, especially on the battery time. I'm averaging 46 hours from 100% to 5% and on wOS2.2 it was 52 Hours. I have the SS 42mm version.

The latest updated bricked my watch.
If you see this....it's not good.
Fortunately Apple express shipping a replacement tomorrow. The 2nd it 3 months. The last watch, the back came off after a charge!

IMG_1477438740.053865.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yep.
Fortunately both were under warranty.
Turn around was 2 days.
Get this. Yesterday I was sent two watch replacements.
I sent back the bad watch and sent Apple rep an email about the extra watch. Have not heard back.

Update. Extra watch shipped back today. Clerical error by Apple.
Here I was thinking they were just being nice

Last edited:
They are very helpful in the Indianapolis store. Especially since they moved to the bigger store earlier this year.
I've only been to the Keystone Crossing store before. I wasn't aware that Apple had relocated. A bigger store sounds great, but since we have one about 15 minutes away, I'm afraid I won't be checking out the new store anytime soon.

They are still at Keystone at the Crossing but they have moved two doors down. They also now have an entry directly into the store from the parking lot.

Hadn't seen that but I will look into it. Closest thing I had in the past is Qardio BP app. But this mostly works with the iphone and it's own BP cuff. You use the watch as an alternate operator of the cuff and it does BP, heart rate and you can check the result on the watch as well. The data also will indiocate if you have an "irregular heartbeat" as well. April 2016 I began to have frequent reports of irregular heartbeat with the Qardio BP measurements. So I went to have it examined with the EKG monitor on my pacemaker and it turned out I had Atrial Flutter, a condition where the timing nodes in the heart were competing with the pacemaker timing and causing extra beats that were out of sync. Had to have ablation surgery which fixed it. Haven't had a reoccurance since but I never know until either my Qardio BP measurements detect it, or it will show up in my 4 times a year PM check.

A lot more health monitoring will probably get me to upgrade to the 3. I use a Watch and Fitbit during the day. I find the Watch is very accurate during exercise heart rate monitoring and at rest while the Fitbit is mostly only accurate at rest. I see that Apple has been testing for monitoring glucose levels with the Watch for several years. Hopefully that will make it to the 3.

The Glucose monitor technology is in conjunction with Medtronic, known for it's pacemakers. It works by implanting a small device the size of a penny under the skin that connects wirelessly to your iphone. From what I understand the present technology requires replacement of the under skin monitor every 14 days. That is way too short as healing of the surgical procedure will take longer. They need to get the system up to a year minimum for it to be acceptable. Jim Cramer recently had the CEO of a competing company on MAD MONEY who explained the Glucose monitor and it's state of the art a few weeks ago.

Samsung, has patents on wireless and rechargeable Pacemakers now for years. Medtronic has had the wireless pacemakers also for a long time. The wireless data collection using wifi is shut on or off by doctor choice. My doctor has it shut off because he wants to physically see his critical patients as there is more for him to monitor besides the pacemaker data. The wireless recharging and use of consumer wifi has not been approved by the FDA in the US due to a scare that it could be prone to hacking and that hackers could use it to assassinate from a distance over the internet. Samsung has the base patent but has not pursued it in a device due to this lack of FDA approval for the US. The current wireless technology in the US uses a very close proximity loop electromagnetic connection that has to be only a couple inches away to work. These monitors can be used with modems to transfer data to the doctor over a traditional phone line. They do not use the modem connection to reprogram the pacemaker, just to download the data it has collected. My father had this but when he moved in with me and since I didn't have the wired phone line, only cell phones here, we had to switch to visiting the doctor every 3-4 months.

The main holdup of these higher technology medical monitors is limited by the regulatory happy FDA. Tim Cook said it has no interest in being hamstrung by the FDA so these developing technologies will be continued by companies that have FDA experience and Apple engineers will only work with these companies like Medtronic for iphone and watch technology to control and display the data as an app. They were able to include the heart rate sensor in the watch as those do not require FDA testing trials and approval. And while an O2 sensor is well within the capability of the Apple watch heart rate sensor that exists, an O2 sensor application requires FDA trials and approval so that's why we don't have an O2 monitoring in the watch. I have no idea what the rule is for stuff that requires FDA and that which seems like it should and doesn't. It's Government logic which is often illogical.

A lot more health monitoring will probably get me to upgrade to the 3.

I have not kept up with the watch 3 improvements other than the water proof feature. Is there new app features that work with the 3 that do not work with the original model I still use? Apple has not given me a compelling reason to upgrade yet, as I don't really need a water proof feature. Only feature I could think of in a watch v4+ would be a much longer lasting battery, or at least one that could have solar recharging for extended battery time. 14 days to a month would compel me to upgrade. I get 40 hours now so it goes on the charger block every other day while I sleep.

Your right Don.
FDA approval on many health monitoring will be the biggest issue. That is if Tim Cook changes his mind and goes that route.
I think the next Watch will include longer battery life so Apple can implement their own sleep monitoring app. That would not get me to upgrade. I don't see a cellular use Apple Watch to be important to me at this time though I have seen reports of this on the next Watch. I have seen some blood pressure monitoring bands that seem interesting but really doubt the reliability. FDA approval would be very hard to get I'm sure.
GPS and water proof were the biggie on the 2 and I didn't budge.
I dare Apple to make me want to buy the next Watch

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have seen some blood pressure monitoring bands that seem interesting but really doubt the reliability.

I recommend the Qardio BP monitor. My wife and I both have the apps on our phones for one BP cuff. I showed it to my doctor and he was fascinated by it but still wants his nurse to take it the old fashion way that relies on the artistic skill of the person to listen and interpret the sound. Not hard as I did that as a medic in the army, but these electronic cuffs take the human error factor away. My wife decided to show the Qardio cuff to her cardiologist and he had his nurse and himself compare readings to the Qardio. Now he just takes the readings off her iphone when she visits. He told her he is recommending this to several of his patients who have smart phones now.

Now Qardio also makes a bathroom scales and I have one of these too. When it works, it does an accurate job but unfortunately it is very buggy. It uses both BT to connect to your iphone and wifi 2.4Ghz to connect to the cloud server for it to do all it advertises. The company has had lots of complaints and the latest is they have a firmware update that won't load properly. I gave up trying to update a month ago. It just keeps saying no wifi connection about 1/3 the way in downloading. They couldn't figure it out. But it still weighs accurately, and logs my weight into the database. There were other problems too but those have eventually been resolved. The other downside is you have to use the scales with your phone app launched. It's sup[posed to store a number of readings and then download the data to your phone app when you get around to the app but that has never worked. I can weigh myself without the phone app on but the data is lost. It is an expensive scales too and would be worth it if it worked as claimed, but not the way they released it. Maybe the new firmware will fix the bugs but for now it won't even install.

BTW- My wife has hypertension, but I do not. My average resting BP is 104/64 at 72BPM

The only BP cuff I have tried that doesn't work accurately is the wrist cuff. Readings all over the map and lots of "ERROR." Stay away from these

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)