AppleTV

Well, I was wrong. I don’t see Apple TV as an option, unless maybe it’s via the Sideload Launcher. Sony XBR-65X900F. Installed 7/11/18.

Will check Rokus later.

Well, I was wrong. I don’t see Apple TV as an option, unless maybe it’s via the Sideload Launcher. Sony XBR-65X900F. Installed 7/11/18.

Will check Rokus later.
It is definitely on the Roku.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 125

Will check Rokus later.

I installed it last week on a new 900H. I'm new to the Android TV world, no idea if Apple TV availability is model dependent.

Ok. My Roku on the MBR gets Apple TV just fine. Maybe taking the seven day free trial just to watch Greyhound and dump it. Say, it’s a year later and Foundation comes out. Will I be eligible for another free seven day trial?

Which hopefully isn't the equivalent of Dish's "soon."

Yeah. I don't see why it should be delayed. I mean, Apple already has their app available for certain Android TV devices (Sony smart TVs) and the codebase can't be much different from the Fire TV version of the app which has been out for 16 months now. Only extra work to get it on the new Chromecast, I think, would be to work with Google to get the (relatively small) Apple TV+ catalog integrated into the Google TV content tracking system to work with its watchlist, universal search, and suggestions engine.

Yeah. I don't see why it should be delayed. I mean, Apple already has their app available for certain Android TV devices (Sony smart TVs) and the codebase can't be much different from the Fire TV version of the app which has been out for 16 months now. Only extra work to get it on the new Chromecast, I think, would be to work with Google to get the (relatively small) Apple TV+ catalog integrated into the Google TV content tracking system to work with its watchlist, universal search, and suggestions engine.

From posts in the Roku community about the AppleTV app it seems that Apple wants to certify each box before it allows it to be installed. That certainly could be a reason that it isn’t on quite a few devices out there.

I tried to sideload a couple different APKs for the AppleTV app onto my ATT TV AndroidTV box. Installed fine but either complained about needing FireTV base software or Sony TV base software depending on which APK I used.

From posts in the Roku community about the AppleTV app it seems that Apple wants to certify each box before it allows it to be installed. That certainly could be a reason that it isn’t on quite a few devices out there.

I tried to sideload a couple different APKs for the AppleTV app onto my ATT TV AndroidTV box. Installed fine but either complained about needing FireTV base software or Sony TV base software depending on which APK I used.

Yeah, I've long suspected that Apple (being Apple) would only put their app on individually selected and certified Android TV devices (as Amazon originally did with their Prime Video app) rather than putting the app on the Google Play store for any ol' Android TV device that meets certain minimum specs to download and install.

AFAIK, beyond Sony smart TVs, the new Chromecast with Google TV is the only specific Android TV device that has been confirmed to receive the Apple TV app. The exact statement from Google (dated 12/16/20) said:

"We will roll out the Apple TV app on Chromecast with Google TV early next year, and even more devices powered by Android TV OS in the future."

EDIT: New statement out today (see article linked in next post) says that “in addition to Chromecast with Google TV, the Apple TV app will also be available on Google TVs from Sony and TCL.”

I wonder if it is even possible to add it to Sony TVs made in the last few years. Probably no business case for it, though.

I have been very pleasantly surprised with our 55” 2018 LG C8 OLED. Not only did AppleTV+ show up last year, but the last update for WebOS included AirPlay 2, so I can use my OLED as a screen from my iDevices, too.

Reactions: navychop
If this doesn't show up in the Play store, I am going to be really ticked. I already wonder if I shouldn't have gone with AppleTVs instead of Shields due to some odd behavior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)