Are 4DTV Receivers still in Demand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think that anyone is hating on the 4DTV, but I do think that for the most part the 4DTV is dead and it's not worth investing money into anymore. Sure there is a subscription service available, but mostly it contains channels that most people do not watch and support for the system is drying up including channels being removed from the system.

Some of you guys will hang on to your 4DTV's and use them until the last signal is gone and I respect that. I miss the entire C Band era we had with both VCII (and VCII+) and 4DTV but for all practical purposes those days are gone.

But C Band is NOT dead, in fact its blooming into something great again. New signals are popping up in a number of different formats and if your a crafty sky scanner you can pick up some amazing things. Some days when I am scanning the skies I have the feeling that I have gone back in time and am seeing the rebirth of C Band again. It appears what is old is new again.

So while 4DTV fades off into the Sunset new technology is taking its place, and for me its something I am very happy to see.

I get 2 music video channels on HITS that...1. Actually show music videos,
and 2. Are not available on the other satellite providers. ;)

These receivers are great to use as a C-Band dish mover/polarization. Even if you don't subscribe you can move the dish with it and use your newer blind scan box to scan each satellite. I prefer these over my Vbox for actuation. Luckily I got mine last summer for 10$.

Sure there is a subscription service available, but mostly it contains channels that most people do not watch and support for the system is drying up including channels being removed from the system.

Most of the channels currently available are the core channels that most people watch. Some channels are at a premium on other media delivery systems and some are not available on certain services at all. You seem to know a lot of people in the media industry and you know who to talk to. With those kind of connections maybe you could help get more channels opened up so they would be available and make it even better. ;)

highskies said:
Is the following for real? I mean in this day and age with 4dtv pretty much useless except as a dish mover.

4DTV DSR922 SATELLITE RECEIVER GENERAL INSTRUMENT | eBay
Most of these sellers just copy & paste the feature description, from original ads, during the heyday of 4DTV. To us it's like "what the....?" but the casual ebayer thinks it can still receive "hundreds of subscription channels" only to find out the truth after the sale. :(

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Most of these sellers just copy & paste the feature description, from original ads, during the heyday of 4DTV. To us it's like "what the....?" but the casual ebayer thinks it can still receive "hundreds of subscription channels" only to find out the truth after the sale. :(

I was thinking mainly the price they were up to now..US $380.00. How can one of those be worth that kind of money now? That auction indicates there's 14 bidders currently. Surely I would think out of 14 bidders at least a cpl of them know what they're doing.

I just sold a 920 on E-Bay for $280.00. I bought it in September for $60 and spent $20 on a new battery for it. So I made a little bit of money on it. I was really shocked I got that much.

highskies said:
I was thinking mainly the price they were up to now..US $380.00. How can one of those be worth that kind of money now? That auction indicates there's 14 bidders currently. Surely I would think out of 14 bidders at least a cpl of them know what they're doing.

I'm not sure why the prices are so high right now, other than buyers thinking these things will get more channels than they actually do. Maybe the 1 or 2 informed bidders get way outbid by others and move on to the next one?

bobvick said:
I just sold a 920 on E-Bay for $280.00. I bought it in September for $60 and spent $20 on a new battery for it. So I made a little bit of money on it. I was really shocked I got that much.

I sold my 920 to a member here for exactly what I paid for it. About the same price you paid for yours. Mainly since I hardly used it anymore.

Could be a group effort! Place a few phony auction's have all your buddies bid on the item falsely driving the price up along with the legit auctions.:D

My 922 has been acting up for almost a year now. If it does die, I don't plan to spend much more than $50.00 for another one. The so called "free stuff" that's supposed to be up there really isn't worth paying much more than $50.00.

:popcorn Tonight's Ebay feature was a 920 that went for $202.50 plus $25 shipping. The prices on 920 are taking a little break. The previous one was bobvick's for $280, before that was one for $300.65 and the bargain(?) was for $117.50 on March 29th. Perhaps one of the 922's that will be done in the next few days might kiss the $400 mark! The last recent 905 was on March 28th and went for $250 plus shipping.

Perhaps one of the 922's that will be done in the next few days might kiss the $400 mark!

But why? This boggles my mind. I can't see the logic behind it. What is it about them now that makes them worth that kind of money? Even if one wanted to use it to subscribe to HITS, no way is it worth the price for that. And as far as ITC channels...there couldn't be more than a dozen or so these days. As far as a dish mover...400 bucks for a dish mover? Even if you purchased one to do all three of these things, I wouldn't think it's worth more that 50-75 bucks to do so.

But why? This boggles my mind. I can't see the logic behind it. What is it about them now that makes them worth that kind of money? Even if one wanted to use it to subscribe to HITS, no way is it worth the price for that. And as far as ITC channels...there couldn't be more than a dozen or so these days. As far as a dish mover...400 bucks for a dish mover? Even if you purchased one to do all three of these things, I wouldn't think it's worth more that 50-75 bucks to do so.

Amazing how it's the same bidder that hold's the lead on multiple auctions!!!:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts