Are 4DTV Receivers still in Demand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

milano maroon

Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
New Mexico
I have a DSR-920 receiver, battery has been changed, has a valid ID, and was mapped prior to the shutdown last January. I am not running C-band anymore and need to let it go. Skyvision is offering $50 plus shipping for them (and selling them for $239). Haven't checked ebay lately but there doesn't seem to be very many listed - at least any that have an ID. Haven't seen any on the classifieds here lately.

What do you guys think they are worth these days?

Thanks - Jeff

Unfortunately it is a buyers market and the weight of these units makes them pricey to ship. The 920's do go cheaper than the 922's and either one of those units can be used as a positioner unlike the 410. The average for 920's recently is around $50 and 922's around $100. I only paid $12.50 for my 920 and there was no shipping because it was at a thrift store. Skyvision's offer of $50 would be a decent sell price especially if they pay the shipping.

Last edited:
IMO, I don't think I would pay much over $50.00 for a replacement 4D receiver let alone $239.00 but there will always be die hards & hard core hobbyists. I use mine as a dish mover for the most part. I replaced the battery myself last spring & about 3 months later began to loose the picture for a half second then comes back on. This happens about once or twice an hour or sometimes might go for an entire evening without blinking off & on but blinking off & on never goes away permanently At first I thought it was my H2H subscription but I later learned it's most likely my receiver.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree 50 dollars would be the maximum amount one could expect to get, but on Ebay you never know what someone will pay. You listed it and hope for the best that it gets into a bidding contest and maybe you get lucky, but a lot will depend on where you start your listing price and how much your shipping charge are. Myself I've got four in use and don't need any more. Good luck.

Last edited:
Skyvision is offering $50 plus shipping for them (and selling them for $239).

Sell It. That's a very fair offer. It could sit around at sky vision for a longtime. At some point they are going to stop buying receivers. Sell it why you can. You will get less money on ebay after fee's and taking on a lot more risk.

I recently changed the motherboard battery in a 4DTV 920 with the power cord connected to the outlet and the front power button was in the off position as the change was made. However, upon reconnecting the unit to the dish, there is no signal to be found and the DC light is out with zero quality. It has retained it's receiver ID number and all the functions of the menu are still in place as before.

I have replaced it with a working 922 model, but I'm wondering if the 920 can be repaired within a reasonable expense before it's thrown away. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks

IMO, I don't think I would pay much over $50.00 for a replacement 4D receiver let alone $239.00 but there will always be die hards & hard core hobbyists. I use mine as a dish mover for the most part. I replaced the battery myself last spring & about 3 months later began to loose the picture for a half second then comes back on. This happens about once or twice an hour or sometimes might go for an entire evening without blinking off & on but blinking off & on never goes away permanently At first I thought it was my H2H subscription but I later learned it's most likely my receiver.

What does your signal quality look like when the picture goes out. Had that a few years ago and it was traced to local TI sources. Also note what particular satellite & signal source is. Would like to know.

To waterbug. I think something got damaged on the motherboard. You should get recognition of signal at least.

I recently changed the motherboard battery in a 4DTV 920 with the power cord connected to the outlet and the front power button was in the off position as the change was made. However, upon reconnecting the unit to the dish, there is no signal to be found and the DC light is out with zero quality. It has retained it's receiver ID number and all the functions of the menu are still in place as before.

I have replaced it with a working 922 model, but I'm wondering if the 920 can be repaired within a reasonable expense before it's thrown away. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks

Have you opened it back up and rechecked all your connectors that you might have messed with.

Thanks
After you changed the battery did you do a "soft reset",unplug,wait,plug it back in?Can you get any analog channels?Did you check all your settings,lnb/lnbf,skew,etc ?
I recently bought a 922 that would do analog fine but no digital.Tracked it down to a bad capacitor near the tuner.

What does your signal quality look like when the picture goes out. Had that a few years ago and it was traced to local TI sources. Also note what particular satellite & signal source is. Would like to know.
The picture goes out for only a half second then back on. It does this about 2 or 3 times in the evening, or about once every hour and a half or so. Some evenings it never blinks off.
I haven't checked it with other satellites other then H2H but since my LNB is 20 years old, I do suspect that could be my problem so I have done some checking.
My OpenBox connects through my 922 & works fine all day long.
I also ran the LNB directly to the 922, bypassing the OpenBox, and it still blinks off and on.
Here is the signal quality currently on channel 214 (Cloo)
Signal: 88
Quality: 92

No tiling ever, even during the heaviest rains, and we've had plenty of rain this year.

Jeff, I recently purchased a dsr922 ($95) just lucky I guess. While I was watching them on E-bay I routinely saw them going for between $250 and $350. Sometimes the same buyer was purchasing them 2 at a time. I'm putting a new battery in mine(its 10 years old) and then will decide whether to keep it or not(limited programming available in my opinion). Probably will get an FTA receiver.

Stefan

I went to skyvisions website and found no such offer. Is it still in effect or has the offer been pulled?

Unfortunately it is a buyers market and the weight of these units makes them pricey to ship. The 920's do go cheaper than the 922's and either one of those units can be used as a positioner unlike the 410. The average for 920's recently is around $50 and 922's around $100. I only paid $12.50 for my 920 and there was no shipping because it was at a thrift store. Skyvision's offer of $50 would be a decent sell price especially if they pay the shipping.

The DSR 920 receivers if they have a new battery and good unit id are able to bring in around $180-$250 price range.
The one nice thing about the 920 receivers is they do not have the rating ceilings gray screen like the 922 receivers do if you are unfortunate enough to have the EC firmware code in the 922 receiver. (most of the 922's have that firmware EC in them!)
If the 920 has not had the battery replaced and if the seller can not verify that the unit id is good then that receiver is only worth $50.00 max IMO.

Waterbug:

I'd give ATS Electronics a call and ask them about the problem you are having.
They do have extensive knowledge on these receivers and know how to fix them.

The signal came back to life for some reason after setting unplugged for a few days, but the entire digital receiver ID number changed when the master reset was done. It looks like it's now only good for analog channels and being used for a dish mover which I don't need. I'll just take the new battery out and trash it.

Thanks for your input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.