Are you willing to pay extra for your local sports channel?

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
With the new channels added today and talk of a possible middle tier package, I was wondering how much a middle tier package would be worth to everyone:

$10/month for the new Discovery channels, and whatever else they would add to it?

$10/month for local sports?

$15 / month for both?

I am not a "vavavoomer". I just don't watch enough TV to warrant paying $80/month. I would, however, be willing to pay $15 more per month if FOX Sports Chicago, the Discovery channels, the superstations and Noggin were included.

Both E* & D* offer this sort of thing, and I believe it is their most popular package with their subscribers.

Thoughts?

-k

I don't know what my local sports channel would be living in Rochester, NY....but if they could put together a really nice superstation package I could get enough baseball from that. I would pay $15 more a month for that along with a bunch of other things I guess....

I would consider paying extra for Fox Sports Detroit ( it would depend on how much they wanted, what else was included, if it affected the rate I currently pay for basic, etc. ), and anything in high definition. Nothing else would even tempt me a little.

Everyone should receive their local sports network free-of-charge as part of basic VOOM service. I am not against VOOM creating a RSN premium tier, but I certainly don't want them included with Va Va VOOM if it means a cost increase.

riffjim4069 said:
Everyone should receive their local sports network free-of-charge as part of basic VOOM service. I am not against VOOM creating a RSN premium tier, but I certainly don't want them included with Va Va VOOM if it means a cost increase.
I agree. But hell if they consider the Science Channel and the Military Channel, etc to be "premium" I see no reason to think they won't be charging extra for everything from here on out. Perhaps the era of nickel-and-diming has begun. Hope not. And they'll have to do much better that Discovery Home to get my nickels and dimes. :D

I like having more Discovery Channels, but have no interest in Sports (local or otherwise).

A *real* HD PBS feed (without the compression required for the other local subchannels) would would be wonderful too.

Course, I'm paying for Va Va Voom, so whatever they throw into that is fine by me. I wouldn't want to pay extra for sports channels I wouldn't watch.

CDH.

riffjim4069 said:

Oh we do...mmm, wonder what happened to mine...I don't remember FLORIDA being close to Texas.

i live in philly where the RSN is owned by comcast so theres no chance of me ever seeing local sports on another network (aside from NFL and AFL)

How about a 4 package set up to compete better with D* and E*

--Basic package = All SD channels = $40 a month
--HD Package = VOOM exclusives and all SD = $45 a month
--HD Plus Package = All HD's (minus HBO, SHO, CIN and Starz) and all SD's = $60 month. HBO, SHO, CIN and Starz add on at $10 per subscription
--VOOM Supreme Package = Everything! $89 a month

Just a thought....

I agree completely...

TheTimm said:
I agree. But hell if they consider the Science Channel and the Military Channel, etc to be "premium" I see no reason to think they won't be charging extra for everything from here on out. Perhaps the era of nickel-and-diming has begun. Hope not. And they'll have to do much better that Discovery Home to get my nickels and dimes. :D

I thought the very definition of “Premium” channels, were channels that did not have commercials. I don’t think it fair to group these new channels along with the other “commercial free” channels or to label the them as premium, especially when other providers make them available in their basic or mid tier packages.

I hope this is just a temporary arrangement while they figure out how to better make these channels available to subscribers, while still remaining competitive and profitable.

justalurker said:
For reference: E* charges $5 for Regional Sports Networks (AT60 vs AT60Plus). One can also get ALL the RSNs in the country, subject to blackout, from E* for about $5 more.

JL

Same here I'll pay $5 for all the SD regional sports channels like dish, but I'll pay $10-$15 if Voom offered them all in HD. That included NESN-HD if they want my money :D

Here is my chat with a Live CSR: (no names)
I was just probing to see how much info they had...

CSR: Hi my name is XYZ. How may I help you?
ME: Hi XYZ I have two questions for you. On my packages listed on MY VOOM there is someting that reads GRDVOOM. Can you tell me what that is?
CSR: That is for those that had signed up with Voom prior to August 1, 2004 and have not changed their packages since the first of this year.
ME: Oh I see....I also saw that you have added new Discovery channels to the lineup but they were added to the VaVaVoom subscription only. Is this correct?
CSR: Yes
Me: Are all of them only for the VaVaVomm or can I get Discovery Kids separtely, which is the one I'm interested in. I wouldn't want to pay $40 more for only one channel.
CSR: All of them are in the VaVaVoom package.
ME: Is Voom going to preview these channels? I'm not familar with them except Discovery Kids so Im not sure they merit being in the same Premium Channel league as HBO Showtime and Starzs?
CSR: At this timew no. It an excellent idea.
Me: Does Voom consider commerial channels as premium?
CSR: What do you meam by commercial channels?
ME: Do the new channels have commercials? To me premium channels are commercial free or at least that is how Voom lists them on the web site.
CSR: The Premiun channels are on the Plus Packs. You can get for $19.99 each month. These channels are just for VaVaVoom package. There was nothing I could find on the website that said anything about commercial free except it regards to the Plus Packs.
ME: It says "Alll the Voom Package plus the Plus Packs". Plus package are commercial free but what about Discovery channnels?
CSR: Dont know. Those are new channels since I last watched Discovery
ME: Thus the need for me to see if I want to pay more for them.!!!
CSR:Are you familair with HBO, Starzs, Cinemax, Showtime and the Movie channel?
ME: Yes I have HBO but I dont know about Discovery Military channel and such.
CSR:Are you familiar with Starxz, Cinemax, Showtime and the Movie channel?
ME: Yes I am they are premium channels.
CSR: Why not just subscibe to VaVaVoom package and check out the channels that you are not familiar with and if you dont like them and it's not worth $40 extra each month, change back to voom?
ME: They are not even on the website yet. I will have to think about it before committing to over $100 for TV.
CSR: They are there.
ME I am talking about the new channels Discovey Kids, Military, etc...
CSR: Keep on eye on their programming on the programmin guide.
ME: Yes that is where I saw it and that why I logged on. Thanks for your help. Hopefully when new channels ara added Voom will let us know...
CSR: You are getting as much notice as we are. They are planning on adding more channels through the month.
Me: Will they be VavaVoom only?
CSR: Havent heard anyhting more than that.
Me: What channels?
CSR: Literally all I've heard is that are going to add more channels through the month.
ME: OK thanks again, bye.

Dang...I forgot to ask about the DVR... :mad:

riffjim4069 said:
How about an Adult HD premium tier called Ga Ga Gooey? Love Va Va Voom, but please...change the name of your programming packages. :rolleyes:
OMG...LMAO! That's just too funny. :D