ASC1 Users

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Did this test & no improvement, so the outlet is fine.
I started to replace all "adds on" parts needed to have this unit to run (capacitors, resistors, etc), & the last one was 1000mF capacitor from the servo, witch looks like the culprit, but need to do more tests.

Are talking about the add-on's listed on the Titanium website?
If so those are not required add-on's, they are suggestions for different situations.
Also I have never seen a job where I needed every one.
I have been a satellite dish tech for many years, and I carry all kinds of stuff on the truck.
Every situation is different. Most of the time you install things and they just work.
There are times however that for whatever reason you have interference or noise on a line.
Most recently it was the fact that the dish was installed the next lot over from an AM radio tower, pumping out some serious wattage.
Had to install bypass capacitors on everything!
Other times just one or two caps here and there will usually do the trick.
If proper shielded cable is used and only tied to earth ground on one side or the other, most issues are not there to begin with or will go away when done properly.
These suggestions are suggestions that would apply to ANY controller and not just the ASC1.
Just ask a buddy of mine that lives down the road, he is a retired C-Band tech. Installed thousands of C-Band dishes.
He also taught me a lot of tricks that I never thought of.

You have a very unique problem here. Hard to troubleshoot over the computer, and not knowing the whole story.
If one of us could be at your house, we might see something that you would not even think about. Like a commercial transmitter near by or something.

Thanks KE4EST, great points. Thanks!

A servo related problem on your system would explain why the Vbox had no control issues as it does not have any connection for a servo circuit.

Help me make sense of this finding... In the previous post you indicated that the servo wires were disconnected from the ASC1 as per my earlier suggestion for the testing, but the motor movement errors remained. Removing the servo wires from the controller would have identified the problem to the distribution, the servo or an inline component. Disconnecting the servo wires from the controller would have removed the faulty capacitor from the testing equation. Does the servo wire bundle have its own shield? Is the shield connected to the ground terminal at the controller? Is the shield connected to ground at the dish? Or connected to ground at both the controller and the dish?

The majority of systems do not require any add-on capacitors or resistors. KE4EST is right, as a satellite technician we carried a toolbox full of capacitors, resistors, etc. Most motor positioning errors would be traced to a faulty ground, corroded connections, switch bounce and noise generated by the servo or actuator motors. Usually a single capacitor between the offending component and ground cleaned-up the noise and proper positioning would be restored.

As a general rule, satellite systems rarely require a capacitor across the polarity servo wires as most polarity servo systems have quality servo motors with an internal capacitor, while the cheaper "no name" servo motors do not. For interest, Google "Servo, Capacitor" and you will find that capacitors are widely used with servos, especially now that they are so common in automation and robotics. Curious, what brand of servo is installed on the feedhorn? This is a replacement for the original servo that failed?

The purpose of testing with the cheater plug was not to identify a faulty plug, but rather to lift the ASC1 ground to isolate your satellite dish wiring terminating in your home from the structure ground. Good to know that the ground lifter had no effect! This eliminates one more potential cause for the component failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
I've had a lot of trouble with the limits, also, along with loss of serial port access resulting in a factory reset to get the ASC1 going again. I've searched through other postings with troubleshooting info but have never been able to resolve the problem. I have 2 C-band dishes and it happens on both of them. So, I have finally put up my ASC1 up for sale at ebay. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it. Obviously, some people are happy with their ASC1.

I've had a lot of trouble with the limits, also, along with loss of serial port access resulting in a factory reset to get the ASC1 going again. I've searched through other postings with troubleshooting info but have never been able to resolve the problem. I have 2 C-band dishes and it happens on both of them. So, I have finally put up my ASC1 up for sale at ebay. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it. Obviously, some people are happy with their ASC1.
I've had one since 2013 and have never had a single issue.

Do you want technical support? If so, we are here to help. Email or call. We have repeatedly offered for you to send the unit in for testing. www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/asc1-positioner-controller-end-of-production-notice.382305/#post-4369448

www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/vbox2-er2.379045/#post-4296261
If the serial port is left connected to a computer, serial commands from the computer will interrupt ASC1 operation until the ASC1 is power cycled. ASC1 interrupts will not happen if the serial cable is disconnected or the port is disabled on the PC when not in use.

If this is just an announcement that you are selling, link to the Ebay listing. Maybe someone here would be interested in a good deal.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. What is the link to eBay for this listing?

Sorry didn't mean to offend. I didn't know it was your listing. ...but $135 + $44.50 shipping = $179.80.
New they are $175 free shipping and have been for years.

Someone can make me an offer. Besides, there's no such thing as free shipping but there is such a thing as included shipping in the price. I have a used LinkBox 9000i for sale also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)