Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

The NHL needs to do everything it can to keep its southern and southwestern teams going, and get teams in Houston, Seattle, Kansas City, and Las Vegas.

oh puh-leeze. They need more teams maybe in Northern climates like Quebec and Halifax not in areas where they dont see snow 99% of the time

There gonna have to realign the league.

Sent from my Galaxy s using SatelliteGuys
Here's my guess how that will work out. Winnipeg moves to the west conference, into the division with Vancouver, and San Jose. Nashville takes Atlanta's place in that division, Minnesota takes Nashville's. Nice geographical alignment for everybody.

The NHL needs to do everything it can to keep its southern and southwestern teams going, and get teams in Houston, Seattle, Kansas City, and Las Vegas.

Yeah because that has worked out so good already :rolleyes: This is the second go around for Atlanta, Phoenix has been in question for a few years now, the Panthers can't draw a TV audience. The south generally does not care about hockey and trying to force the sport in markets that have no interest in it has proven to be a failure. I would love to see the numbers in both attendance % and TV ratings comparing the same teams in a specific market. How do the Coyotes rank among the Suns, Dbacks and Cardinals. How do the Panthers rank among the Dolphins, Mariners and Heat? Here in Buffalo, while we only have two major sports teams, the Bills and Sabres are about dead even. The Bills have a strong following even though they flat out suck and the Sabres have a strong following even though they seem to hit a brick wall every year. Due to the popularity and dominance of the NHL I don’t think there is any other market in the country whose NHL team can compete with their NFL team, except for Detroit maybe since their hockey club is so damn good and the Lions are a joke, but they still seem to draw a crowd nonetheless.

The only market I would ever favor the NHL expanding into is Kansas City, not because I think it’s a good hockey market, because I don’t, but because the Sprint Center sounds like an awesome venue and looks pretty cool. It’s a shame to have that brand new area just sit empty for the majority of the year sans a few concerts and conventions.

This is really bad news.

For the USA, and for the NHL, it must make itself a sports that is valid in every part of the country. If the NHL gets run out of the economic capital of the South, then its going to fail elsewhere such as Phoenix, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. Left as a niche sport which national networks have no interest in. If it is a sport that Canada and border USA states ONLY follow, then its not going to be on TV nationally, not going to be covered nationally, not going to be important nationally in the USA.

For Winnipeg, and Canada, this is a problem. As mentioned, Winnipeg and Quebec failed because of a weak C$. Economies are cyclical. Politics change. OK, today the US$ and the C$ are at par, which is the best C$ position ever. Explain to me how you are going to make it 5 or 10 or 15 years from now when its back to 60 cents on, or you are doomed to failure again, and there will not be an Atlanta or a Phoenix waiting to take the teams off your hands. Further, Winnipeg is simply a small market in the middle of farm country. You are asking 690K people to support a team in a major league, with pretty much no regional TV infastructure to supplement it.

If the economy was better,you could probably sell out a Curling Match in Atlanta,but the economy IS BAD,the Thrashers ownership seemed totally oblivious to that fact by their outrageous ticket prices for thrasher games. Winnipeg WILL support the Thrashers. The Thrashers WILL be covered by Rogers Sportsnet on TV. You also seem to forget that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL also play there & draws a pretty good crowd.

In no particular order:

Atlanta was fine until about three years ago, when the brick wall that is their current ownership group peeved a lot of fans. Atlanta Spirit Group's indifference to hockey caused some indifference within their fan base. It's no coincedence that for the franchise that set the record for expansion attendance over the first five years fell into disarray with the current ownership group lawsuit-galore approach. I mention the lawsuits as the current ownership had to go to court as one of the members of the group wanted out, to either purchase the entire kit or to be bought out, and the lawsuit lasted five years. It wasn't settled until this past December, when the rest of the ownership group bought out Steve Belkin's 30 percent stake in the Atlanta Spirit Group.

The two largest US television markets without a franchise currently are Houston and Cleveland. If Les Alexander of the Rockets were interested, he'd probably get a hockey team in Houston. It would be a good fit and natural rival with the Dallas Stars. Cleveland may simply have to wait to see what may ever become of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

When it comes to Canada, yes Winnipeg deserves a team. However, there could also be teams in Hamilton and in the Kitchener-Waterloo area as well as Quebec. The support would most likely be there.

This is the crossroads for the NHL. I have a difficult time understanding how the NHL could simply let the most inept ownership group of all time destroy the Atlanta market. Maybe that is why we haven't heard a peep about an official announcement regarding the sale and relocation of the Thrashers.

For those that may not know, Atlanta Spirit Group had an exclusive negotiating window with the owner of the San Diego Padres to discuss selling the guy (Moores?) the NBA Hawks and the operating rights to Philips Arena. That exclusivity ended on this past Friday. Was it that Moores wasn't interested in owning the Thrashers, or that ASG was only interested in selling the Thrashers for relocation? It doesn't pass the smell test.

Paul Wozniak said:
Here's my guess how that will work out. Winnipeg moves to the west conference, into the division with Vancouver, and San Jose. Nashville takes Atlanta's place in that division, Minnesota takes Nashville's. Nice geographical alignment for everybody.

The problem with that is that it makes sense, something the NHL isn't known for. :D

Sent from my Galaxy s using SatelliteGuys

This might be off topic but do you think the NHL should have left well enough alone and be like it was in the 1980s. I think sometimes the NHL made a mistake by expanding just because the NHL isnt strong enough as the NFL or even MLB. I'll be the first to tell you, Im not a big hockey fan but a casual observer, it seems like all the expansion that happened in the early 90s hurts the NHL. I probably am, but am I wrong?

This might be off topic but do you think the NHL should have left well enough alone and be like it was in the 1980s. I think sometimes the NHL made a mistake by expanding just because the NHL isnt strong enough as the NFL or even MLB. I'll be the first to tell you, Im not a big hockey fan but a casual observer, it seems like all the expansion that happened in the early 90s hurts the NHL. I probably am, but am I wrong?

I agree.

Also the fact that half the teams make the post season is WRONG.
Almost as bad as there being 60 some Bowl games in College football.

oh puh-leeze. They need more teams maybe in Northern climates like Quebec and Halifax not in areas where they dont see snow 99% of the time

Translation: The NHL should give up on being a national sport in the USA. Maybe it can find coverage on the Home Shopping Channel.

The NHL M U S T be relevant in every part of the USA to make it in the modern TV world. Taken a look at a census map, lately? The loser states are the ones with snow and ice.

But let us apply that "logic". Why do we play football in Pittsburgh? Its in the Appalachians and there is not place where it is NATURALLY flat for 120 yards in a row. We should only play football in places that are flat. Why do we play baseball in SoCal? It is the desert. No grass. We should only play baseball in places that are naturally covered in green grass. And, of course, they make the bats out of northern hardwoods, so we should not play in the South or Texas, because it is "unnatural" to import wood there. And the NBA in Utah? How can that work? It is, after all, our least "diverse" state. And, they play it on wood. No trees in LA, or Houston, or Miami. Time to shut down those teams. Oh, and golf. Golf should only be played in coastal Nova Scotia, New Jersey, and the Carolinas. The only places that "naturally" look like Scotland in topography. How can we posibably dig a hole and fill it with sand? It must only be "natural". So lets close up Augusa National, Colonial, Pebble Beach, and Whistling Straights.

There is not much frozen water in the part of the country people are moving to. Fortunatly scientists discovered the formula.

I agree. They should have left it alone and not allowed the teams to move in the first place.

I agree.

Also the fact that half the teams make the post season is WRONG.
Almost as bad as there being 60 some Bowl games in College football.

How many teams in the NBA make the playoffs? How about 16. 65 Teams in the NCAA Basketball Tournament, plus the NIT and a couple other post season tournaments are OK....but 16 teams making the NHL playoffs, showcasing the best hockey of the year, is too many?? Maybe in your state, where your nhl team has made the playoffs once in its history, you can make that statement, but the rest of us love the stanley cup playoffs and they are the highlight of the year.

Perhaps Ohio should support that team they have, or they may become the next Quebec Nordiques.

Translation: The NHL should give up on being a national sport in the USA. Maybe it can find coverage on the Home Shopping Channel.

The NHL M U S T be relevant in every part of the USA to make it in the modern TV world.
That's a great statement to make but nearly impossible to enforce. What do you do when these markets don't support their teams and are in financial trouble? Should the league subsidize these teams, or seek to find other markets that will support them?

Even if there were subsidies to help those teams, nothing can be more embarrassing to the league than seeing half-empty arenas night after night...

most of your post is so absurd I'm not even going to bother with typing an answer to that

But why should they put a team in Houston, KC or Vegas before putting it somewhere where the fans will support it for more than 1 or 2 years?

But why should they put a team in Houston, KC or Vegas before putting it somewhere where the fans will support it for more than 1 or 2 years?

I tried to explain that. It really is pretty simple. Answer this simple question.

Before the wise decision to take the NHL south of I-70, what national channel was the Stanley Cup Final on in the USA?

I will give you a hint.

The answer is "none".

The NHL MUST be a nationwide sport. You honestly think NBC, or any network, is going to pay for a sport with the pre-1990s expansion geography. Any cable channel is going to?

Home Shopping Network.

So putting them in areas where they will get support for maybe 2 years then folks dont show up is the way to go?

Yes it may work in a few southern areas...but its been proven that it doesn't work too. But god forbid we take a team from the south and move it North..nooooooooooooo we can do that. But lets say a team like Columbus (as example) doesnt work...yep lets move them to Houston NOW. :rolleyes:

I actually think Las Vegas would great for the NHL just because its Las Vegas. Also the NHL could toot there own horn by being the only sport out of the major 4 with a sports team in Las Vegas.
I mean if I was Bettman I would try to get a team in Vegas because the NHL needs something. I mean do you think people would talk about a team coming to Las Vegas or Houston?

So putting them in areas where they will get support for maybe 2 years then folks dont show up is the way to go?

NBCU Upfront, Affiliate, and Cable "partner" meeting, 2014:

NBCU Empty Suit: Hey, everybody, welcome!!!! Now we know we are still #4 in primetime, but we really think the new David Spade comedy is going to be a hit! But lets talk about our outher properties!!!! Hey Leno really isn't that old!!! And MSNBC is getting ratings that cannot be fully explained by housecats randomly walking over remotes. Questions?

Affiliate owner: I'm thinking of taking my market leading signal and news following and going to CBS. Talk me out of it.

ES: Well, we have sports. Hockey and Notre Dame.

AO: But, I'm in Texas. No hockey anymore, and most of the Catholics in Texas watch Telemundo. Got something for me?

ES: Kentucky Derby. 2 minutes a year. Oh, and football, we lose lots of money on the NFL.

(murmer)

ES: More qestions?

Cable Opp: Yes guys, you want a national price for this Versus channel. How come.

ES: It is a national channel.

CO: Umm, no, its the NHL and Indy Cars, neither of which anybody follows in the south. We can pay you in NY and Illinois, but our southern systems will just pass, thanks.

(murmer)

Ad buyer: Mr. ES, can you deliver me a national coverage for my beer brand, with sports, other than the NFL?.

ES: Yes, we have the NHL, Indy Car racing, and Notre Dame.

AB: I said national. You do understand geography and demographics, right?

ES: What?

AB: Demographics. Sports have to have a national presence. Its why the Dodgers moved to California, its why NASCAR built tracks in Kansas, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Michigan. Its why the NBA went into Memphis and OKC. Its why the PGA has TPCs all around and reaches out to new demographics. You do get that right.

ES: But everybody on the west side loves the Rangers.

Audience in unison: Exactly.

The NHL MUST be a national sport.

The NHL MUST be a national sport.

The principle is great in theory but nearly impossible in practice.

You still haven't answered this question: How do you propose forcing a franchise on a city/region that won't support it, either in attendance or TV ratings, or both?? How long are those franchises supposed to suffer when there are are other markets waiting with open arms??

Sports leagues consist of separate businesses (teams) that should be allowed, within the rules, to relocate, if that is what is best for them to survive.

After all, it's not like the NHL hasn't tried being more "national"....

The NHL already has National Exposure Outlets, with Vs., NHL Network, NHLCI on cable and satellite, and the not too far down the road NHLCI over Internet Ready TVs. The days of the national OTA Networks ruling Major Sports are coming to an end in the near future. If a team isn't working down south, move it north where it will be supported with open arms and flourish, and at the same time develope stronger rivalaries with existing franchises. The guy living in a trailer park in Buck Tooth New Mexico, is not gonna be sitting in his easy chair, drinking budlights; buying and wearing a coyotes jersey and hat, watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs on NBC on a hot Saturday Afternoon in May.

However there are millions of people up north on both sides of u.s./canada border who would be crazy fans and buyers; in cities like Hamilton, Quebec City, South West Ontario (15 million die hard hockey fans alone), Seattle, Millawauke, Portland, etc. The NHL needs to stop pushing its game on suspect fans in the south; and let the game grow and prosper more in areas where the sport is beloved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)