Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

Reading that article Saturday tickets go on sale to the public. Hope MTS (Manitoba Telephone) infrastructure can withstand the deluge of calls going to the MTS Centre for tickets ;)

Most likely they will make their 13,000 figure some time next week. I heard on ctv news out of toronto, there are fans from just over the western border of ontario, wanting to buy season tickets just to get to see the leafs.

Most likely they will make their 13,000 figure some time next week.

try 4 minutes this morning :eek:

That was quick. In impressive fashion, the hockey fans of Winnipeg purchased 13,000 season tickets in three days of pre-sale and all of four minutes into Saturday's general public sale.

Ticket-package holders of the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose and corporate advertising clients bought 7,158 season tickets in the pre-sale that ended 11 p.m. ET on Friday night. The remaining 5,842 were purchased online in four minutes and officially processed in 17 minutes, announced the True North Sports and Entertainment group.

8000 fans on waiting list when they capped it

Winnipeg franchise reaches season ticket goal in four minutes - NHL.com - News

Columbus is down in attendance. The team does get a lot of support around here but you do need to put a winning team on the ice to keep attendance up. They are also in a bad agreement with the arena that might cause them to leave. There was talks about Columbus actually purchasing the arena from Nationwide Insurance to help reduce the cost of the Blue Jackets.

Seriously, congrats to Winnipeg. And consider yourself blessed that you're not getting the same ownership group. Idiots were suing each other, and then when the laswuit was finished, they sued the lawyers claiming malpractice for letting them sue each other. Just a bunch of dysfucntional idiots who because they had money thought they were smart.

As far as the "Thrashers" being competitive next season, that's hard to say. According to the journalists in Atlanta, most of the ownership group didn't give a damn about the Thrashers. But maybe the new ownership group will be committed to winning and it won't be too long before you Winnipeg fans get to watch your team in the playoffs.

Anyways, just as I still pulled for the Flames when they left for Calgary, I think I will still pull for the "Thrashers". I mean it's not the players' fault their owners were a bunch of idiots.

BTW, and maybe Iceberg can answer this (thou I ragged him a little bit), which hockey team will the Atlanta tv market be assigned to next season on the regional sports networks, if any?

Why is Columbus in this discussion ?
They support thier hockey team.

how do you figure? When blue jackets ticket office is marketing can to Buffalo fans. This year I could have bought a lower bowl seats for a Buffalo Game on a Saturday Night in Columbus, plus they give you a free buffet at the arena restaurant and your first drink is free...all for $59. Where are all the Blue Jacket fans, when other teams come in and scoop up great lower bowl seats?

how do you figure? When blue jackets ticket office is marketing can to Buffalo fans. This year I could have bought a lower bowl seats for a Buffalo Game on a Saturday Night in Columbus, plus they give you a free buffet at the arena restaurant and your first drink is free...all for $59. Where are all the Blue Jacket fans, when other teams come in and scoop up great lower bowl seats?

That was the last game of the season and the fans had already given up on the team.

Last edited:
Any team in the league will have the same problem as Columbus if they don't put a winning team on the ice. Lose for 10 years straight and see how low attendance will drop even for some of the highest in attendance within the league.

I also found out that this past season, season ticket sales were down around 25%. Personally I would be very sad to see Columbus leave and don't feel that they should leave. What they need to do is put together a winning team for a couple of years. I was one that have not helped the ticket sales over the past couple of years. I used to go to about 10 games a year but have not been to a single game over the past 2 years. Next year is going to be different as I purchased season tickets. Hopefully they will turn it around and I will get to see one heck of a season (fingers crossed).

BTW, and maybe Iceberg can answer this (thou I ragged him a little bit), which hockey team will the Atlanta tv market be assigned to next season on the regional sports networks, if any?

Carolina maybe? Nashville? Both are on sister stations of FS South so one of those could "slide over" to FS South instead. I guess it would be up to FS South

on the other side, Winnipeg has coverage of CBC, TSN, TSN2 and probably Rogers Sportsnet. But I wonder how the "local" coverage will work. Right now they are in the Flames & Oilers market on RSN West. So Manitoba gets broken off. Wonder if Saskatchewan will be part of it too? NW Ontario is another area. They are in both Sens & Leafs territory (although a far ways away).

Looks like Sportsnet has some thinking to do ;)

Last edited:
Any team in the league will have the same problem as Columbus if they don't put a winning team on the ice. Lose for 10 years straight and see how low attendance will drop even for some of the highest in attendance within the league.
Not the Maple Leafs, they keep losing and attendence is always full.

Not the Maple Leafs, they keep losing and attendence is always full.

They haven't been losing for that many years. They have made the playoffs for 10 years out of the past 20 seasons. The time out of the playoffs have not been that long. 2005-2006 was the first season of them missing the playoffs. Give it a while longer and we will need to discuss again.

They haven't been losing for that many years. They have made the playoffs for 10 years out of the past 20 seasons. The time out of the playoffs have not been that long.

They haven't been in the playoffs since the 03-04 season. Thats 6 seasons. Worst they've gone before was 2 seasons without the playoffs. Only team with longer losing streak is Florida.

They haven't been in the playoffs since the 03-04 season. Thats 6 seasons. Worst they've gone before was 2 seasons without the playoffs

And as I said earlier come back and talk once they have another 5 straight losing seasons.

And Florida is the 6th worst team for home attendance percentage. Officially the Blue Jackets don't have a longer streak but I would argue that their streak is still 100% as the one time in the playoffs they did not even show up. 0-4 lifetime playoff record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)