Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

That was the last game of the season and the fans had already given up on the team.

That wasn't just this year. The offered a similar deal for the last 3-4 years to Buffalo Fans. Anyways, the fact remains, if I want to go to a road game to see Buffalo or even Toronto; I don't have to deal with a Ticket Agency or a Scalper for tickets. Just show up and buy them at the box office. Anyways, the Blue Jackets are in the bottom five for attendance, and they could be the next Atlanta.

Even Strength: NHL Regular-Season Attendance Flat Compared To '09-10 - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

Islandguy43 said:
That wasn't just this year. The offered a similar deal for the last 3-4 years to Buffalo Fans. Anyways, the fact remains, if I want to go to a road game to see Buffalo or even Toronto; I don't have to deal with a Ticket Agency or a Scalper for tickets. Just show up and buy them at the box office. Anyways, the Blue Jackets are in the bottom five for attendance, and they could be the next Atlanta.

Even Strength: NHL Regular-Season Attendance Flat Compared To '09-10 - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

I never disagreed with there current attendance. It has been a very rough 10th years being a fan. They could very easily be the next Atlanta but I sure hope they aren't.

I also found out that this past season, season ticket sales were down around 25%. Personally I would be very sad to see Columbus leave and don't feel that they should leave. What they need to do is put together a winning team for a couple of years.
It's not like they're not trying:

It’s no secret that the ownership group led by majority owner John P. McConnell has given the green light for General Manager Scott Howson and his staff to construct the best possible 23 man roster. Case in point, roughly $52.4 million was spent on players’ salaries for the 2010-11 season. A franchise high for the organization. Just slightly under a $5 million dollar increase from the 2009-10 campaign. The problem is, 13,350 fans on average, bothered to take part in home games at the Nationwide Arena this season. According to the Columbus Dispatch, that’s a 2,067 decrease per game from the 2009-10 season.

Adding to the financial difficulties is the lease agreement with the Nationwide Arena. The Blue Jackets claim to lose $12 Million per season due in large part to not getting A. Parking revenue B. Naming rights revenue and C. some luxury box revenue. It’s all in the agreement with Nationwide.

During these difficult times financially, Scott Howson continues to get support from ownership. The Payroll increases, it doesn’t decrease. If you look at the on-ice production though and the empty seats to go around, the Columbus Blue Jackets are simply not good enough and the Blue Jackets fan base knows it.

Columbus Blue Jackets 2011 Off-Season | The Hockey Writers

Iceberg said:
Who is the main tenant of Nationwide arena? Isn't that where Ohio State plays basketball?

Blue Jackets are the main tenant. OSU plays at a different venue.

Iceberg said:
so if the Jackets are the main tenant wonder why they signed such a sh**ty contract with the arena

I have no idea. You can also say the same thing about Nationwide, why don't they help their only tenant.

Its a nice arena. Just another example of poor team management.

Yes and no. The team management is really trying to bring in the right players to make a run at the playoffs. The only issue they have with money is the lease they signed with Nationwide Arena. Nationwide should also look at helping out the Blue Jackets by redoing the lease that is beneficial to all parties. They will have a nice empty building if the Blue Jackets pack up and leave Columbus. Nationwide will just lose out if that happens.

I don't know if this was mentioned yet. With the Thrashers gone, how will the NHL blackout/territorial rights be re-drawn for Georgia and surrounding areas? Could the whole state become Predators territory exclusively, could they share with Carolina? Will the southern part of the state (Areas in the Tallahassee and Jacksonville DMA) fall under the Lightning? I'm thinking Alabama and Mississippi becomes Predators only and Georgia becomes Predators and Hurricanes due to the Hurricanes being in the Eastern Time Zone.