Atlantic Canada FTA dealer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwwbrennan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Canada
Does anyone know of an FTA or satellite dealer in Atlantic Canada who sells the Digiwave DWD-120C or something similar? I am looking for a large dish to catch AMC 21 (or more to the point 12140) more consistently. The 36" dish in place now is iffy. I can't justify driving to Ontario (the closest I can find) to buy one and they don't ship dishes of that size.

Is it possible to build one? An Internet search did not make it seem promising.

Does anyone know of an FTA or satellite dealer in Atlantic Canada who sells the Digiwave DWD-120C or something similar? I am looking for a large dish to catch AMC 21 (or more to the point 12140) more consistently. The 36" dish in place now is iffy. I can't justify driving to Ontario (the closest I can find) to buy one and they don't ship dishes of that size.

The signal bounces around on my c/ku 10 foot setup on AMC 21 but on the 90 cm it is quite solid. Where are you in Atlantic Canada? I have a 1 meter winegard dish that I might part with.
As far as dealers, I dont' know of any stores, maybe someone else can help?

I don't care for that website because the webmaster is one of those boneheads that tries to prevent right clicking on webpages.

It is a great help to right click so you can open pages in multiple tabs easily. Then you can leave pages for different topics open or to make comparisons betwen different pages. This way you don't have to navigate back and forth in a single browser page, or repeat a lot of effort to open several browsers at the same time.

Why do they do this? One possible reason is in a vain attempt to keep people from copying the content. This only works with very, very unsophisticated users.

This anti-right-click script is easily bypassed by turning off scripting, and Active-X controls in the browser. Or one could simply harvest the content out of browser cache.

It doesn't deter scumbags from plagerizing, it simply irritates customers, IMO.

EDIT:

Oh, I spoke too soon. It seems like the website consists of only one or two HUGE pages, so there's not much of a chance to navigate that site easily...

Last edited:
The signal bounces around on my c/ku 10 foot setup on AMC 21 but on the 90 cm it is quite solid. Where are you in Atlantic Canada? I have a 1 meter winegard dish that I might part with.
As far as dealers, I dont' know of any stores, maybe someone else can help?

I'm on Prince Edward Island.

12180 is dependable and 12140 can be good when there is nothing of interest. I have been thinking if I caught more AMC 21 signal (and less other signal) it would add consistency but I just read a post saying an Invacom QPH-031 helped with LPB. Replacing the inexpensive LNB on the dish may fix the problem.

A couple of advantages of the Digiwave DWD-120C are the elevation alignment (0~90) and the pole mount. The dish in use is a collection of wires and braces to allow for the 10.4 degree angle from the side of a wooden post. It is an accomplishment to climb a ladder, hold it with one hand while fastening with my other hands:).

Thanks for the help.

I don't care for that website because the webmaster is one of those boneheads that tries to prevent right clicking on webpages.

I've been to their place. The husband/wife couple seem knowledgeable enough, at first. Something's odd there but I can't put my finger on it.

I've tried on four separate occasions to buy something from them but could never, ever get a price on anything. I'd ask for one and they'd have to confirm with the distributor about it and would never get back to me. Then when I'd call them, they couldn't give me a firm quote, just a rough idea, +/- $50 or so, and couldn't tell me how much the freight would be. And it's not like they wouldn't have made some money on me. The most recent (and last) time I dealt with them I wanted a 6' bud but they couldn't get a price out of Fortec. I called Fortec and had the price in about 10 minutes, and a freight shipping quote from a courier in another 5. Very hard work, indeed.

A friend of mine that knows them says they do a lot of business. Tried and failed to give them mine.

Actually, prices are quoted on their website, and one can do Checkout via that site. As to opening a webpage link in a new Tab in IE7 or 8, just press and hold Ctrl Keyboard Button (or Shift - I don't use IE often) when clicking the link. ;)

I contacted Hobby Corner Satellite in Halifax (Spryfield actually) and they replied surprisingly quickly. They stock the dish but don't recommend shipping due to potential warping. Now it is just a matter of going over or having someone picking it up for me. Thanks for the help.

i bought some stuff of them with out any problems .yes i had the same thing said about warpage.if someone was passing through it would be better for you or me as it cost alot for shipping and the problem of the warping. its very expencive for shipping in some cases its is almost as expencive as the dish,lol. jwwbrennan where do you live ? i live here on the west coast of newfoundland ,corner brook to be exact.

i bought some stuff of them with out any problems .yes i had the same thing said about warpage.if someone was passing through it would be better for you or me as it cost alot for shipping and the problem of the warping. its very expencive for shipping in some cases its is almost as expencive as the dish,lol. jwwbrennan where do you live ? i live here on the west coast of newfoundland ,corner brook to be exact.

You live in a beautiful place. Hiking and camping in Gros Morne is as good as it gets. The Avalon Peninsula is another great spot where caribou live on the barrens. There are a few spots along the Spout Trail where losing footing is a quick burial at sea. Fascinating place.

I live outside Charlottetown.

Just a personal opinion - (not necessarily the opinion of SatelliteGuys :) ) I would stay away from the Digiwave brand dish. I bought a 1 metre Digiwave dish, and it is the worst reflector I've ever had. It is horribly out of focus and the paint is pealing. I already had to re-paint the back side of the dish because the rusted metal was showing. Next summer I'm going to turn that Digiwave dish into a piece of artwork, similar to TechFizzle's C-band dish that he mangled... I should have realized that the price was too cheap when I bought it. I would recommend that you spend the money to get a good quality dish and stay away from the Digiwave dishes. My 39 inch (1 metre) Digiwave dish gets me signal qualities that are equivalent to my previous 31 inch dish.

Never played with a Digiwave dish but have used both a Fortec 1.2 meter and Geosat 90cm, I actually had the Fortec at my place but gave it away as it was not that great, I replaced it with a 1.1 meter Patriot dish, the Geosat my buddy has it on Galaxy-19 reception could be better, looks a bit small? but the build quality is not bad.

You can also look into the Channel master dish.

The GEOSATpro 90cm and 1.2M ships from our distribution partner in Ontario. If you are interested in a quote, call our sales team M-F.

Thanks Davage for the heads up on the brand. Being so far from specialized suppliers makes buying good product difficult and poor product worse.

I sent an email to SatelliteAV requesting a quote for a dish and shipping.

I concure with Davage, the Digiwave dishes are very weak. I have had problems with their LNBF's as well. I have a 1m Winegard that is much heavier and surdier than Digiwave. The 1m Winegard is also larger than some 1m dishes, as it is effective aperture 1m, but is acually 114 cm (44.8 in) by 105 cm (41.3 in). I know of a place in Ontario that stocks the Winegard, but as you state, the shipping will be very expensive.

That's the only reason why I searched around (for a long, long while) for a BUD. Still looking for a 1.2M dish. Just can't find anybody in less than a three hour drive that has anything.

Of course, 1M dishes are easy. Sucks.

You live in a beautiful place. Hiking and camping in Gros Morne is as good as it gets. The Avalon Peninsula is another great spot where caribou live on the barrens. There are a few spots along the Spout Trail where losing footing is a quick burial at sea. Fascinating place.

I live outside Charlottetown.
Charlottetown is a nice place .yes its beauty full here and clean and un spoiled country.at work at the fishplant where i work i saw 3 bald eagles ,2 seals a couple minks and some ducks around the warf. last week there was whales swimming in the bay .i guess looking for scrap fish that was discarted. i love it here and proud of it and being a newfie .:Dits hard to find a large dish bigger than 1m here .at one time there use to be a number of large c-band dishes but they seem hard to find these days.

Last edited:
I would stay away from the Digiwave brand dish.
I don't think this advice is complete or accurate. Digiwave doesn't make any dishes, they sell products made by others. Their made in CN DigiStar labeled dish series, including DWD-120C, is of lower quality and accuracy than ideal. However, made in TW DigiPro dish series is better, and made by Jonsa TW DigiMonster dish series is excellent for average weather conditions and highly popular in Canada. I don't think its of less quality then Azure Shine TW OEM dishes other sat distributors and manufacturers offer under own multiple labels. Keep also in mind, different dish models of the same dealer label may in fact be manufactured by different companies under varying quality standards. Jonsa has one of the largest sat dish production facilities in Asia. I have one of Jonsa made dishes, and quite happy with it all way around. It would help to add side struts to support LNBF bracket, but again its always price-to-performance trade off, and in our area strong winds are infrequent. It has high quality reflective coating that will stay for many years.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)