Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

Good Enough?

:confused:

All this talk of overheating got me worried. I just had a 622 installed last a week ago, don't know what version nor have I checked the temperature.

I have it in an enclosed entertainment center however. But, made some modifications I hope will be good enough to keep it running properly.

First of all, there is nothing else generating heat in the cabinet (a DVD and VCR which remain off mostly; if those are playing the 622 generally then is turned off...or as off at it goes!).

I moved the 622 low in the cabinet (since heat rises!) although I elevated it on a 4" PC riser that has some air ventilation holes in it to increase airflow underneath the receiver:
I also raised the shelf above it as high as possible, probably 9-10" above the receiver as to not trap heat released from the reciever on top of the receiver.

I also then installed one of the antec PC laptop coolers between the above mentioned riser and the receiver (which I believe sucks heat off the bottom of the receiver rather than blow air onto the bottom of it):
I do notice the 622 is still pretty warm to the touch (not hot enough to burn your hand however!).

I also keep my house pretty much at 72 degrees year round.

Do you think this is enough protection, or do I need to take the added step of cutting into my cabinet and adding a heat exhaust fan?

I also noticed someone mentioned to take the rubber feet off the receiver if placing it on a laptop cooler to allow the metal the dissipate some of the heat. I did not do that, I figured the more airflow under there the better, that the laptop cooler was probably helping. Any opinions on that as well?

Thanks!

Yes I have read the thread.

But I was wondering if there was any concensus as to whether or not to take the rubber feet off the receiver if placing it directly on a laptop cooler or if it was better to allow some airflow between the two by leaving the rubber feet on (by the way, I emailed Antec, and they claim that the vents on the rear and right of their cooler both blow the hot exhaust out, one for each of two fans; some were guessing one was for input, the other output, which also seems to imply the cooler sucks heat from the receiver as opposed to blowing air on it).

Also, I have yet to gather an optimum temperature. I did check mine last night, and it said Hi 138, Lo 73, Avg 118. Now not having done any readings before I set it up on a stand, added the cooler, moved shelves to allow as much air space as possible, removed other heat generators, I don't know how much all that's helped. And my receiver is only a week old, so I also don't know if those number reflect my adjustments. I suspect the 138 was before I made any, and the 73 was when the thing was first plugged in. Assuming that's the case, I hope to see that Avg drop, but if it doesn't...is that acceptable or do I need to take the next step, cutting a hole in my cabinet and adding a fan?

Don't know about statement

Yes I have read the thread.

But I was wondering if there was any concensus as to whether or not to take the rubber feet off the receiver if placing it directly on a laptop cooler or if it was better to allow some airflow between the two by leaving the rubber feet on (by the way, I emailed Antec, and they claim that the vents on the rear and right of their cooler both blow the hot exhaust out, one for each of two fans; some were guessing one was for input, the other output, which also seems to imply the cooler sucks heat from the receiver as opposed to blowing air on it).

Also, I have yet to gather an optimum temperature. I did check mine last night, and it said Hi 138, Lo 73, Avg 118. Now not having done any readings before I set it up on a stand, added the cooler, moved shelves to allow as much air space as possible, removed other heat generators, I don't know how much all that's helped. And my receiver is only a week old, so I also don't know if those number reflect my adjustments. I suspect the 138 was before I made any, and the 73 was when the thing was first plugged in. Assuming that's the case, I hope to see that Avg drop, but if it doesn't...is that acceptable or do I need to take the next step, cutting a hole in my cabinet and adding a fan?

Not sure that the 73 has anything to do w/ the temp when you plugged it in. Reason is my low is 116 and I doubt that it was that hot when I got it months ago.

Need some help.

When I get the counters, it lists 7 common counters but, will not let me move to the left to scroll through the counters. I have done a couple resets and still cant scroll through the counters. Any suggestions? I have a 622.

Need some help.

When I get the counters, it lists 7 common counters but, will not let me move to the left to scroll through the counters. I have done a couple resets and still cant scroll through the counters. Any suggestions? I have a 622.
yes, if you want to see the rest of the counter information, you need to use the Page down button. It is the lower gray button above the Guide button.

All airflow around and, more importantly WITHIN, the 622 is good. There is probably little advantage to having the bottom of the 622 in direct contact with the laptop cooler for direct metal-to-metal contact as there is little airflow through the bottom from inside that could make it hot and the PCB (which does run quite hot in places, like around the BroadCom decoder chip) is not heat sunk to the 622's bottom. The 622's intended airflow is from side-to-side and that is probably the only way the HDD, which itself is probably dissipating 20+watts (P.Smith - correct me on that if I'm wrong on that), gets any cooling. The problem is that in most units the internal fan does not come on routinely, if at all!, and the inside gets quite hot, particularly at the heat generators like the HDD, the PS, and most of the larger chips. (See my earlier posts in this thread.)

I have removed the top of my unit and I use an open 3-fan laptop cooler blowing directly down into the "guts" to help the situation. The measured temp. on the decoder chip dropped from 160+ deg. F with the lid closed to about 110 simply by doing that. I have had the unit in this state since May.

I have plans for a more robust external forced-air solution that will allow me to replace the cover by having those three fans mounted on the left side of the unit (near the PS) sucking the air out. I will also have a smaller internal fan blowing air across a pair of small heatsinks mounted directly on the decoder chip. Alas - my available time has not allowed me to complete my experiment and heat mitigation project, but with winter soon upon us I expect it won't be a whole lot longer...

I have a high speed 4 inch electronic component fan on the left side of my unit pulling air out. It's a bit noisy, but I don't notice it after a while.

Results: High-107 Low-84 Ave-95

Lost the temp readout

With the L411 update to my 522, the temp readout on the counter screen has been removed.:(

I have found a nice little vertical fan, just like the one I was using (see post #291) except it is lower RPM=lower noise.

Look at www.hometheatercooling.com.

I have one setting in the open pulling air out of the left side of my 622. <29db can't even hear it from 2 ft away.

Considering building a shroud along the left side to make the pull of air more efficient.

1 for $49.00 and 2 for $95 free USPS shipping - designed to run 24/7.

Go to Menu, 6, 3, Counters and then Page Down three times. These are just the hard drive temps. and it will look like this:

Attachments

• diagnostics-count4.jpg
    diagnostics-count4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 139
Internal 266 fan mods

Mark_AR; said:
Since installing a 4" case fan directly over the BCM chip, it runs a *lot* cooler and adds no appreciable noise to the operation of the 622. I haven't had time to see if it makes a difference with the stability so far.
[/SIZE]
Mark....

Is your 4" fan suspended over the BCM chip, or resting on top of it? I was thinking about a internal fan mod. Did you take a picture of the inside of your 622 when you did this mod?
mraroid

Three weeks ago I unplugged my 622. Took it outside for a few hours to cool off. Put a laptop cooler under the receiver when I brought it back in.

Before:
H - 138
L - 109
A - 116

After 3 weeks

H - 131
L - 68
A - 111