Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

My high reading is 127. I just got my 622 and started service on 2/1/07 and btw this is my first sat DVR and I am loving it.
I was thinking would having one fan blow in from the front portion of the "left" side grill and another fan blow out from the back portion of the "left" side grill where its gets the hottest. I wonder if that would make like a counterclockwise circulation internally to bring out the heat better? Maybe that in combination with the fan that is internal might help.
I think Ideally if a small muffin fan can be install in the middle back would be good too.

High - 114
Low - 87
Ave - 100

Been in continuous operation in living room since late October. Only one reboot in three months.

New Vip622

Just a couple questions about the 622. Ive had mine for 3 days now.

What is the average operating temperature? When is it considered too hot?

I watch mostly at night so the sound often isnt very loud. The recorder itself has a low hum (not the fan) which I assume is the hard drive. So today I drilled some openings to put it inside the lower cabinet with a door. There is plenty of space inside on both sides and the top. This evening before I headed off to bed I opened the door to check and make sure it was off. It was warm inside and the surface of the recorder itself was hot. The unit said the average operating temp was 100. Low of 69 and max of 129. Either tomorrow or the day after I will be putting in some more openings in the back to help. Having it in the cabinet really helps but if its going to overheat then I will have to figure out something else.

Speaking of the hard drive. Does it ever spin down when idle or when its turned off? I would think that if its not being used the drive would power down as an energy saving feature. Perhaps there is a setting I missed. I figure if my laptop shuts the drive down then a DVR can too. Ive been keeping track and it never stopped even after several hours of non-use.

Can history of scheduled recordings that have finished or been canceled/skipped be cleared? The couple of history clearing functions I see dont do it. And before you say it... no its not to hide recordings of adult vids. I just dont like clutter and tend clear out history on my PC as well.

Thanks

I'm not sure of the average operating tempurature, but I've had my 622 in an audio cabinet since I've had it and have never had any problems with it overheating. If you do a search there was a poll here someplace about average tempurature on the 622. No way currently to clear history. Have fun with your new toy.

Thanks.... I suppose its little different than some warm amplifiers. Except that they generally are not on 24 hrs a day. Checked it this morning when I got up and it was still warm. But didnt seem as warm as it was last night.

I use to think that the max did not change, however, I have noticed a couple of times that it did change.

I suspect it may be when it does its monthly call out. Maybe Dish is keeping track of the temps so they can say it was your fault.:confused:

I bought a lap-top cooler and put under mine. It plugs right in the back with usb. I was having high temps of 138 and having lockups everyday, it seems to have helped but I haven't had it long enough to say for sure

I've had my 622 over a week now and my temperatures are the same as the moment I turned it on for the first time. They are good temperatures but they never change. ?????????

High: 127
Low: 69
Average: 109

(MENU-6-3) (INFO-BROWSE-THEME) This brings you to the Memory Dump Screen. (Binary Data) Reboot the receiver.

I think that you lose all your timers and favorite lists too.

I did it once on a 501 receiver and I lost timers and favorites and the receiver basically reset it to factory default settings. Haven't tried it on my 622, I may try it since I don't have anything setup just yet.

I drilled three 2" diameter holes in the back of the part of the cabinet. Its that thin pressed wood stuff and it helped. The air inside is certainly cooler and the unit itself isnt as hot as it was before but still warmer than I would like. The left side exhaust vents are still hot of course. I have yet to put it on risers to allow more air underneath... which I didnt think of until reading it on previous pages of this thread. That and a USB laptop cooler. Believe or not I didnt even know there was such a thing.

Reading here and there it seems that around 105+ degrees is the average. Right now mine says 104 with a high of 131. So I guess Im average. :bounce Does the high temp and average temp reading ever go down?

As others have done, I also sent an email asking Dish what they considered to be average and/or overheating. No reply yet to mine either. Maybe they havent decided on a number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)