AZbox won't play .avi movie files?

drboyddrboyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
US
Whaaa?:confused:

I had moved a bunch of .avi movie files to the AzBox drive and I tired to play them last night - "Unknown Video codec"

They play fine on my PC in that format... what format do I need to change these movies into to get them to play on the AzBox?

Thanks!

Whaaa?:confused:

I had moved a bunch of .avi movie files to the AzBox drive and I tired to play them last night - "Unknown Video codec"

They play fine on my PC in that format... what format do I need to change these movies into to get them to play on the AzBox?

Thanks!

The Azbox does play .avi files, I'm watching one now as I type. However apparently there are different types of .avi files, and many of the .avi files I have here can't be played on the Azbox. I have no idea of what's different about those that can be played vs those that can't be played. I think that there may have been a thread about this a while back, but I'm not sure. I have .avi files from multiple sources, and about half of them play and half don't.

Anyway, you may have to reprocess those that don't play, and experiment a bit to find parameters that aren't rejected by the Azbox, or just convert them to .mpg files.

with 5006 avi also seems broken. files stop playing at 3:37 and selecting a file from the onscreen list does not always make the proper file play. from what ive tried anyways.

crackt out,.

FYI, AVI doesn't describe a codec. It's a container format that can contain any number of codecs. These days, the, ummm, internet community has probably standardized on one or two codecs like DIVX/XVID (or moved on to MKV, but that's a container too, albeit one that probably contains MPEG4 99.9% of the time), but in the old days anything could end up in an .avi, including proprietary things. Chances are, if you have a modern AVI player that only plays one kind of AVI, it's DIVX.