Bally Sports RSNs Are Reportedly Preparing For Bankruptcy

So viewers can just watch stuff from the networks they like and nothing else. I mostly watch NBC and Fox, so I would just get Peacock and Tubi. It's that simple, isn't it?
Yep, and as soon as Direct and Dish are not a worry for them they will squeeze companies like YTTV, and all the rest...Get rid of the middle man, then we will be right back to yearly cost hikes! And you will have to pay for sports. So no equipment to worry about, and it will be more profitable than anything we have seen.

You correctly understand that the RSNs are going away. What you don't get, is that this means the programming on them goes away as well. The days of being able to simply enjoy your team, every night, are going away.
Good, again the money teams have been taking in has been artificially high since the vast majority has been paying for the extreme minority that watches.

You are just upset that you are part of that minority that might have pay an extra $50 a month to receive your favorite content….sports.

That is how it should be, you do not want to pay for streaming which has the programming I want, I do not want to pay for your sports.

I choose to pay for ST.
Killed by streaming.
Killed by themselves, Broadcasters and Providers.

There is a reason why YTTV is the only provider growing every quarter, not too many extra rerun channels, no RSN and able to keep the price down because of that.
Enjoy. And keep telling yourself it wasn't your job to save pop culture. And how much money you saved back in 23.
If a streaming service has content I wish to watch, I will subscribe, as would most, will there there be some culling with streaming as there is with Traditional Providers, duh.

As I wrote before, the next two years will be the final transition years, then we will know what will happen for the near future.
And, again, I don't care how you "spend your money". No one does. Why do you keep posting, on a TV enthusiasts website where EVERYONE else is discussing shows and trends and tips and info, how you didn't see the show and how you "spend your money". We don't care. You are a guy posting about McDonald's on a fine dining website.
The way you post, with such anger and disdain for others, amazes me, specially over how someone prefers to watch content.

It is not like I am outside kicking puppies and yelling at stray cats to get off my lawn, all this over just how I prefer to watch Television.

I pay for streaming to watch shows/movies in better quality then your DirecTV, tons more new content, it is now the more premium way of watching Television Programing and Movies.

Streaming is the Ribeye, DirecTV with barely any new content, lesser video/sound quality is the piece of steak you get with eggs in the morning from Dennys.

Last edited:
no RSN and able to keep the price down because of that.
They do have the NBC Sports RSNs. Like here they have NBCS Philly:

Attachments

• IMG_4962.png
    IMG_4962.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 30
They do have the NBC Sports RSNs. Like here they have NBCS Philly:
Contract is almost up.

NBC has been trying to get rid of them since last year.

When that did not work out ( nobody wanted to buy them), NBC announced they would be soon on Peacock which still has not happened.

Lazarus has previously said the company planned to put all its regional sports networks on Peacock, NBC's subscription service, sometime in 2023.

That is from a month ago

Here it is from 2022

• Wow
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
DirecTV is speaking out, says it is over for Diamond.

“Despite more than seven months in Chapter 11, the debtors seem to have failed to shore up both the supply (team rights) and revenues (distribution) sides of their business,” an attorney representing DirecTV wrote. Instead, Diamond “devoted most of their resources during the first few months of the case to waging a costly battle with Major League Baseball and its teams, only to lose in court and alienate MLB, one of their most important business partners, dimming their prospects for a successful reorganization.”

It is DirecTV’s view that Diamond’s seeming inability to extend its current carriage agreements throws a long shadow over the company’s plans to reorganize. “The debtors have hardly engaged with DirecTV in meaningful negotiations regarding an extension of the parties’ distribution agreements

Then this-

cash on hand declined nearly 90% between March and August of this year.

Diamond is down to its last $21.8 million.

If they burned thru 90%, that means they started with, roughly, $300 Million, plus all the income they earned from per sub fees and advertising since they filed, shows this needs to be a Chapter 7, since the above info proves they cannot make enough money to be viable.

• Wow
Good. Let them die. Then the teams can decide how best to produce and distribute the games. Then the fans can decide if they want to pay the cost to view those games. I don't see a downside anywhere!
Same for me, tired of paying for channels I never watch, until College Football goes totally streaming in 2025, will subscribe to YTTV for one last time from September to January in 2024.

Considering Paid Live TV will not really have any new content until September, because of the strikes ( if the actors ever settle), except Reality and Game Shows, not a big loss.

Good. Let them die. Then the teams can decide how best to produce and distribute the games. Then the fans can decide if they want to pay the cost to view those games. I don't see a downside anywhere!
Agreed. All the people whining that streaming is killing x or y, also need to stop. this is market economics at work. everyone loves capitalism, until it affects them. This is messy, yes, and it's happening very fast, yes, but this is no different than:
- the internet killing newspapers
- cars killing horse and buggy

the RSN model is an anachronism of a bygone time. it's weird to think of it like that, but that's exactly what it is.

We've been in this streaming game, seriously, for like 3 years now (excluding Netflix). Yeah, you're gonna lose a lot of money until things shake out. Yeah, there's gonna be some messiness with this RSN stuff. But it always shakes out because the market will determine what the consumers are willing to bear. All this extra noise about ESPN going bankrupt, or Charter going to streaming boxes, or whatever is just that - noise.

Tesla lost sh- ton of money too in the beginning, now they are turning a profit. Do I think Tesla is a great car? No, but Elon had infinite cash and a willingness to play it out. That's why the tech companies are seen as the torchbearers goign forward - infinite cash. With Tesla, other players have emerged and the EV market is bearing out. The same with streaming and RSNs. I don't think any of these current providers are great, but at some point in the next couple years, it will shake out and that will be that.

the RSN model is an anachronism of a bygone time. it's weird to think of it like that, but that's exactly what it is.
I don’t think it is a bygone era. It is the best way to watch your local sports teams via cable, satellite, or in some limited cases streaming (Fubo and D* Stream have nearly every RSN)
I’m not into streaming. I just want to turn my TV and DirecTV box on, find the DirecTV channel airing the game, and select that. I don’t want to go to an app on my phone and see it on a tiny screen or switch my TV to my Roku input to watch the game. I pay for DirecTV, and only DirecTV.

Reactions: Jimbo
I’m not into streaming. I just want to turn my TV and DirecTV box on, find the DirecTV channel airing the game, and select that. I don’t want to go to an app on my phone and see it on a tiny screen or switch my TV to my Roku input to watch the game. I pay for DirecTV, and only DirecTV.

Hate to break it to ya, but those in your category are fading away. I'll include my parents in that, both born 1956, and they just want "a DVR with a clicker." They've almost accepted the fact that it's going away sooner or later.

Most people under 45, including myself, are unwilling to pay $100+ a month for a bundle of channels they mostly don't watch.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is a bygone era. It is the best way to watch your local sports teams via cable, satellite, or in some limited cases streaming (Fubo and D* Stream have nearly every RSN)
You seem to have a weird impression of streaming, as if it's a phone app only, or something from 2007 YouTube. That's not all how it is, nor has it ever been, really. The "tiny screen" thing is a weird statement to make, as if you're locked into that. I have many of the streaming services and have zero percent of those apps installed on my phone.

If you were using DirecTV stream it would be on your Roku right next to those other apps and you wouldn't even need to switch. DirecTV Sat is basically streaming...on a dedicated box....via satellite signal. The only difference is a separate remote and channel numbers.

Granted, I also have DirecTV sat and do like it a lot, but it is not "better" or "worse" than streaming. Just different

Hate to break it to ya, but those in your category are fading away. I'll include my parents in that, both born 1956, and they just want "a DVR with a clicker." They've almost accepted the fact that it's going away sooner or later.

Most people under 45, including myself, are unwilling to pay $100+ a month for a bundle of channels they mostly don't watch.

And even then, moves like shifting Days of our Lives to streaming only is getting some who might not ever bother with any of this to get into streaming. Happened to my mom.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Broadcast bounceback: New TV sports rights deals provide fans with free access to local games​

While these deals have yet to affect the upcoming NBA and NHL seasons, the Suns-Mercury-Gray Television deal went into effect just in time for the Mercury’s 2023 season, which ended Sept. 10. With games available locally through OTA access, the Mercury’s average household audience was nearly 6x larger than during the team’s 2022 season (when local games were broadcast via RSN).

Hey, I was born in 1956 and my wife was born in 1958 and we both have embraced streaming for the last five years! We barely use a DVR at all.

Granted, I also have DirecTV sat and do like it a lot, but it is not "better" or "worse" than streaming. Just different
You don't have to bounce around looking for your network, you don't have to wonder what channel your game is on, its just there.
If I want to watch whatever show, its on the network it always is on ....

I can't even find what Streaming service some things are on, by the time I Do find out, then if I Really want to watch it I have to Sub to yet Another App and turn it on and Hope what I wanted is still there.

Amazons App is bad for that, I Have AP ... and it will Find most anything, THEN tell you you need to PAY to watch the show you just looked up ... I already Pay for AP, ,why do I have to pay again ... when in reality it on Free elsewhere, but it didn't tell me where ....

On D* I pick up my remote and its just THERE.
Already paid for.