OTHER Basic DVB-S/S2 Receiver

I read the Freesat specs twice and tried to reread everything in this thread about the Freesat but can't seem to find what chip and tuner are in it. Anyone have a handle on that?

On my V7, I found it difficult to drive the C band dish through DiSEqC 1.2 commands and monitor the signal quality when aiming the dish.

Other than that, and the "signal blinking", it would be a good receiver. I have three lnbs switched through a 4x1 diseqc 1.0 switch, and it drives the USALS motor without issue. I think it is a little slower due to depressed voltage under load. I've never had it reboot or boot-loop before.

Reactions: lost_mesa
In case anybody is interested in getting one of these you don't need to get it from China - Amazon has them for $29 (and it qualifies for Prime shipping). I just ordered mine and it will be here Thursday! :bounce

FreeSat V7 at Amazon

P.S. Could have had it tomorrow if I'd wanted to fork over another $3.99 but I can wait! :D
Updated UPS tracking says receiver shipped from NJ and is arriving Wednesday instead of Thursday! :)

Got mine today. this thing is smaller than it looked.

First blind scan 99 c-band it missed 3720 H every time (4) even after adding it manually in the list. scans them in manually. 10' dish, dual Norsat feeds. gets everything.

But my interest in this"hobby" is watching Live Events so trust in blind scan is of most importance's. disappointed ......Eeyore
just me ?

Reactions: Hockeynut
Sure FTA4PA, NOW you tell us! It's been 9 days and my receiver is still in China "preparing for shipment". I'm hoping this is one of those occasions were the shipping status goes directly from "preparing for shipment" to "delivered" with no updates in-between. Please give us a report on the Freesat sensitivity when you get a chance.

Heck, got distracted by my zapped Vbox7 and forgot mine was coming today! Sure enough, checked and there was the package on my porch - guess I'll have to look it over tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Got mine today. this thing is smaller than it looked.

First blind scan 99 c-band it missed 3720 H every time (4) even after adding it manually in the list. scans them in manually. 10' dish, dual Norsat feeds. gets everything.

But my interest in this"hobby" is watching Live Events so trust in blind scan is of most importance's. disappointed ......Eeyore
just me ?

Probably "jet lag". Let it rest awhile and try again. I'm hoping for good results on Ku. Oh well, as long as it doesn't burst into flames in the middle of the night...

Reactions: madmadworld
Sure FTA4PA, NOW you tell us! It's been 9 days and my receiver is still in China "preparing for shipment". I'm hoping this is one of those occasions were the shipping status goes directly from "preparing for shipment" to "delivered" with no updates in-between. Please give us a report on the Freesat sensitivity when you get a chance.
Sorry, would have told you sooner but didn't know myself that Amazon had them until I ordered that day. :rolleyes:

Reactions: madmadworld
For the heck of it tried my worse 10' same thing has dual Norsat also. too much class for this $27 box ? yet my S-9 scans that tp every time with that dish. it's catching those other odd under 4000 sr's. missed the 1662 one first time but picked it up second time lol

Trust issues

Ok, I just ordered two, one day shipping, should be here Friday July 1.
$65.98 for two receivers and shipping, not such a big gamble. I won't have to drive any motors and don't blindscan for wild feeds hardly ever, and all LNBs are through powered multi switches.

What could go wrong?

Reactions: Hockeynut
I tried four, 5 minute recordings in sequence, with a 1 minute gap between them. That worked OK.

Then I tried four more recordings with no gap between them. The next recording started at the same time the previous recording ended. That failed after the first recording.

Each channel was on a different satellite, switching between fixed dishes. I haven't tried this with a motorized dish.

The recorded files are labeled .ts They are just a single channel, not the entire mux.

A few other things. I used the editor on a PC to change the order of the satellites. After flashing the .db to the receiver, they were in that order under Satellite Installation, but not in the list that comes up when hitting the Sat button. Can't get that list ordered the way I want it.

On 103 w Ku I used the editor to change the beach cam audio to WCPE. It would play the station for about 1 second, and then switch to the apid defined in the table. Changing the sid to another number prevented this from happening. This may be common or not in other receivers. But don't recall needing to do this.

The banner screen that comes up for each channel lists the pids in hex, but the editor wants pids in decimal. ;)

On 103 w Ku I used the editor to change the beach cam audio to WCPE. It would play the station for about 1 second, and then switch to the apid defined in the table. Changing the sid to another number prevented this from happening. This may be common or not in other receivers. But don't recall needing to do this.

This is an example of the automatic PID update that haunts other receivers on the 101w, 4MHz spaced services with identical SIDs. Modifying the SID to a value not defined in the MUX table prevents the receiver for being able to compare existing PIDs to the actual defined PIDs.

Reactions: lost_mesa
I got my 2 V7s delivered today. So far the only issue I have found is that Grit stutters bad.
And Stalag 17 is on Grit now, darn it.
All other channels on 97W C and 125W Ku are OK, weird.

I may try a firmware update

Working with one of them for now, trying to get it setup, then I will try to clone the second one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts