Battery dying?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hallowsend

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Rawdon, Quebec
I'm wondering if my inability to receive any signal (as described in my Help! All birds have flown thread) could be due to a failing/dead battery. It is probably a good ten years old.

I checked all wires this morning and everything seems OK there.

Would someone please tell me what are the symptoms of battery problems? Is the battery problem exclusive to the main receiver or is there one in the 905 Sidecar that also has to be replaced every decade or so?

Thanks again.

I'm wondering if my inability to receive any signal (as described in my Help! All birds have flown thread) could be due to a failing/dead battery. It is probably a good ten years old.

I checked all wires this morning and everything seems OK there.

Would someone please tell me what are the symptoms of battery problems? Is the battery problem exclusive to the main receiver or is there one in the 905 Sidecar that also has to be replaced every decade or so?

Thanks again.

The battery is a problem for all DCII receivers .1 way to check if your battery has died is to go to the options menu and look at the receiver id number, if that number matches the number on the back sticker your ok. But if it's different than your 4d box is dead. I think a good id starts with 0000 I may be wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

The numbers are the same. That's good news in one respect, but I'm still facing a grey screen.

Any other suggestions, please?

You could do a master reset if your sure the problem is with the 905 and not just the video cable. One way to check the video cable is hook something else like a dvd player or vcr. to see if you have a picture. Hope that helps. 1 ? do you still have the green DC II light? if not maybe your lnb(F) is going bad.

No, no green light. That's the problem. Also unable to pick up Shepherd's Channel or Classic Arts - no bleeping reception at all. I was watching a show and the screen went grey suddenly.

Would an lnb just go out suddenly like that? There was no sign of impending doom, picture/reception had been fine. Only recent problem was a loss of signal from the provider, but we always had the green light and a rehit took care of things. Could that have been a symptom of something about to go south?

No spare lnb. I could probably find one in Montreal. Any recommendations on what model to buy for the frigid North?

Hubby wants to know if he can test for something with his volt meter, or whatever it is called, but he does not know what to look for. GI350 owner's manual was not too helpful. He was asking about voltage on the incoming coax but if the lnb is the prime suspect, do you know what reading he should get from the lnb on his meter? I know that's probably not phrased very well, but Hubby has gone to bed and that part of the diagnostics is completely over my head.

Have you tried a new Coax Cable?

If you mean from the feedhorn itself, no. I have tried switching a couple of cables at the receiver end with no success.

I'm tempted to think it is something more susceptible to burning out since one minute everything worked well and the next minute it didn't. But, since these systems are a science unto themselves, I don't really have a clue what to look for.

Can Hubby test the coax with a regular volt meter? Could he test the LNB, since that has been suggested as the problem?

Could he test the LNB, since that has been suggested as the problem?
There is no real test for the LNB, just eliminate everything else.

Does it do the same for Horizontal and Vertical channels?

Weather permitting, I would get a fresh piece of RG6 Coax cable, drag the receiver and a small TV to the Dish, and connect. If the problems still exists, it's not the cable.

It got to be the LNB. No green lite, no channels, it's got to be the LNB/feedhorn.
To be watching a program and then it go out, it got to be at the dish. LNB do go out.
The servo motor could go bad too, not switching polarity.
Have someone at the receiver be switching channels while you stand at the dish. You would hear the servo switching polarities while channels are switching. If not, servo could be the culpit.

Have someone at the receiver be switching channels while you stand at the dish. You would hear the servo switching polarities while channels are switching. If not, servo could be the culpit.

Standing below the dish, I did not hear anything while Hubby changed channels. Looks like getting up on a ladder for closer listening might have to wait until Friday or so. Work today, then weatherman is calling for a foot of snow Wednesday/Thursday.

In the meantime, I could order a new LNB. Any particular suggestions regarding the make and model? Is dish location (re temperature extremes) a factor in the choice? And, forgive my ignorance, is the servo part of the LNB or a separate unit?

Standing below the dish, I did not hear anything while Hubby changed channels. Looks like getting up on a ladder for closer listening might have to wait until Friday or so. Work today, then weatherman is calling for a foot of snow Wednesday/Thursday.

In the meantime, I could order a new LNB. Any particular suggestions regarding the make and model? Is dish location (re temperature extremes) a factor in the choice? And, forgive my ignorance, is the servo part of the LNB or a separate unit?

First off do you have a LNB or LNBF ? One way to check ,do you have a coax cable plus 3 wires RED,BLACK, & White. If so you have a lnb and the servo should be in a blue or black box on the back of the lnb with the three wires going to it. If not, you have a lnbf (voltage controlled polarity). If it is an lnb you might check the 3 wires going to the back of your receiver and make sure they all have a good connection. IF not the some color as I posted than look for something like +5,Ground, and Pulse. On the back of your boxes. Hope this helps.:D

First off do you have a LNB or LNBF ? One way to check ,do you have a coax cable plus 3 wires RED,BLACK, & White. If so you have a lnb and the servo should be in a blue or black box on the back of the lnb with the three wires going to it.

From your description, I have an LNB. There's a black box with a Channel Master label attached to the LNB inside the cone.

Never thought I'd say this, but it looks like I need help shopping.

If I understand correctly, the servo (or the job performed by the servo) is built in to a LNBF. Is that right? Can I replace the LNB with a LNBF? If so, is a LNBF better than a LNB? Easier to install? Is it worth getting an in-line amplifier as well?

Or, more simply, what would you buy if you were in my shoes? My budget is not unlimited - if I can get the system back up for $100-$200, that'd work for me.

From your description, I have an LNB. There's a black box with a Channel Master label attached to the LNB inside the cone.

Never thought I'd say this, but it looks like I need help shopping.

If I understand correctly, the servo (or the job performed by the servo) is built in to a LNBF. Is that right? Can I replace the LNB with a LNBF? If so, is a LNBF better than a LNB? Easier to install? Is it worth getting an in-line amplifier as well?

Or, more simply, what would you buy if you were in my shoes? My budget is not unlimited - if I can get the system back up for $100-$200, that'd work for me.

If the servo is all that is bad, than you should be able to buy one for about 20 or 30 bucks/dollars. My servo didn't work when I found my dish, so I bought a DMS LNBF . Two reason's why,first I wanted to use a pci dvb-s card(no servo control) second My servo problem could not be fixed on my lnb look at pic (broke on the inside). If I was you I would buy just the servo or a lnb because you will be able to fine tune the skew. On flea bay I've seen lnb with servo for about $40.00 maybe cheaper.

You could take the cap off of the lnb and look at the pin or needle,if it's facing up and down you can check your V-polarity channels if they work than you know you need a servo. If it's facing east to west than check H-polarity channels. If the needle moves when you change channel's and still no picture than you no the lnb is bad. Just some food for thought.

Attachments

• slim 025.JPG
    slim 025.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 142
  • slim 029.JPG
    slim 029.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 163
New development

Just went over to the receiver to check the wires one last time and noticed the green light was back on after nearly a week of being a depressing red.

What's up with that?

Sounds like poor signal between the receiver and feedhorn. Possibly the situations we've talked about, or your wiring is starting to fizzle out, robbing the signal. Do you have a length of servo wiring you can run from the feedhorn to the receiver? If you can, try the new wiring before putting down money for another servo motor and LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.