Battlebots timer jacked

wormil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
North Carolina
My previous timer gives me an error and I had to make a new timer for Battlebots this coming Friday. This is the 3rd timer in 11 episodes.

You would think a company in business for 20+ years would be able to get basic DVR functionality right.

I'm glad my 722 no longer gets "updates".

It could be attributed to the new guide data provider, but I haven't had any issues here.

The series name changed in the guide. But every week I find a show with a janked timer. Last week was Trial and Error.

Ah, I think the reason my timers haven't screwed up is I use Dish Pass timers almost exclusively, so as long as the title has "Battlebot" anywhere in the title, it'll record.

I've had no problem with the timer so far this season, but I'll have to check it for this week's episode.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Had to make yet another timer for the episode coming up, the 2 timers already made are both blank for episodes. Dish needs to get their act together.

Had to make yet another timer for the episode coming up, the 2 timers already made are both blank for episodes. Dish needs to get their act together.
Try a seek and record timer. It might be more reliable.

Nevermind about Seek and Record. Seems Dish removed that functionality from what I've read.

Another reason for me to keep my ViP.
It certainly isn't easy but it can be done. (manually, I do not know how. I bet someone else does)

Last night I am watching a program when a promo ran for a show called "Carter" on TBS. Now I almost never watch TBS, but this promo showed that the star was Jerry O’Connell whom I've like since Sliders. So I go to the guide, ring up TBS and forward to the first airing of the show. I click the red 'record' button and it gives the normal choice of "This show" or "This series". But I notice that, just below the show's description, is a separate box that says [something like] Record All. I decided to peek at that and it says [again, something like] "Record 'Carter' across all times and channels". So we know you can get a search and record, now lets figure out how to do it manually and easily.

But can you search for partial names like I can with Dish Pass?

I currently have a Dish Pass timer set to search for "Battlebot" (no "s") in the title, and have recorded every new instance even when the show title changed last week.

It certainly isn't easy but it can be done. (manually, I do not know how. I bet someone else does)

Last night I am watching a program when a promo ran for a show called "Carter" on TBS. Now I almost never watch TBS, but this promo showed that the star was Jerry O’Connell whom I've like since Sliders. So I go to the guide, ring up TBS and forward to the first airing of the show. I click the red 'record' button and it gives the normal choice of "This show" or "This series". But I notice that, just below the show's description, is a separate box that says [something like] Record All. I decided to peek at that and it says [again, something like] "Record 'Carter' across all times and channels". So we know you can get a search and record, now lets figure out how to do it manually and easily.
You can do it if the show has program info. This week's Battlebots does and I made a timer to record all of them on any channel but it doesn't matter because if that entry gets wiped out, the timer will show no programs. Last week, I was unable to make that timer because all entries were for the science Channel which I don't have, I'm watching on discovery. It's the guide that keeps getting screwed up, there is no timer that will record a show if the show has no entry in the guide. And even if it does, it might not record anyway.

But can you search for partial names like I can with Dish Pass?

I currently have a Dish Pass timer set to search for "Battlebot" (no "s") in the title, and have recorded every new instance even when the show title changed last week.
I will check tonight. Between your and wormil's response, it seems it might be easy to create a search and record timer. Maybe once that has happened, you can hit 'edit timer' and make the entry some truncated thing like "Battlebot". I know I missed some recordings when "Endeavour" was changed to "Endeavour on Masterpiece". Grrrrr.

This week's episode is numbered "Episode 45" instead of the usual Season X, Episode Y format. What is wrong with the people entering the data that they can't be consistent from week to week? Last week's was COMPLETELY inexcusable -- they had it as "Battllebots on Science" when the first-run was, as always, on Discovery!

Reactions: wormil
I will check tonight. Between your and wormil's response, it seems it might be easy to create a search and record timer. Maybe once that has happened, you can hit 'edit timer' and make the entry some truncated thing like "Battlebot". I know I missed some recordings when "Endeavour" was changed to "Endeavour on Masterpiece". Grrrrr.
Did you get a chance to try that out?

IIRC, when the Hopper first came out, Seek and Record replaced the old ViP Dish Pass functionality, and people complained that it was less useful and less flexible than Dish Pass. Then a software update crippled it even more and made it harder to even find.

Not sure why they dumbed it down other than to think Dish Pass was too confusing for many people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts