Best iPhone FM Transmitter & Car Kit?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
What is the best iPhone FM Transmitter & Car Kit? I am looking at one that has the least amount of interference

I had bought one from Amazon it was from a dealer called crazydigital. It was crap, its just kept beeping due to battery charging going on and off. I called the guy and emailed to no answer finally having to call Amazon. Amazon got me a refund in 24 hours after contacting them.
I have since tried many different ones and have mixed feelings about fm transmitters. Here in the south it hard to get a blank channel, you can drive for half an hour and have to change the channel. However, in the North I don't have those issues as often.

Make sure if you buy one it has a remote.

The problem is my car does not have a stereo with an auxiliary port or a tape deck, so FM transmission is the only thing I can use.

I do have my XM running through my radio as well. But I installed an FM modulator. The XM and FM antenna both run through this modulator. I am able to put my radio on any station, even one with a clear OTA signal, and once I turn on my XM radio it will take over the transmission on that channel. I wonder if the signal put out through the iPhone transmitter will also run through the modulator?

Do you get any drops, interference, or noise? My XM transmitter never gives me problems, but I think it gives out a much stronger signal and the modulator I put in helps a lot as well.

No drop outs yet. If I start to pick up a station, I press the scan button and it will detect a empty space.

I was out looking around at retail store prices of some of these transmitters. I think the better option for me is to get a new car stereo. They have some for around $100 with both an auxiliary port and a USB port. I can use the auxiliary for my XM MyFi and the USB for my iPhone. I would end up getting a better signal with both and have a better radio as well.

iLuv rocks!!!!!

recharges iPod too
resize

I was out looking around at retail store prices of some of these transmitters. I think the better option for me is to get a new car stereo. They have some for around $100 with both an auxiliary port and a USB port. I can use the auxiliary for my XM MyFi and the USB for my iPhone. I would end up getting a better signal with both and have a better radio as well.

:up:up

That's the best choice I believe. I went through a couple FM Transmittors living in L.A. and it's just not worth it. Constantly was changing frequencies, it had AM station quality sound and just wasn't worth the hassle. Ended up getting a new stereo myself. You can go with either an Auxiliary Port and control from your iPhone, or a USB jack if your stereo is iPhone compatible (I would double check on this, a lot are "iPod" compatible, few are "iPhone" compatible) or you can get one with stereo bluetooth and take advantage of the new feature in fw 3.0. Either way is a lot better than an FM Transmitter.

:up:up

That's the best choice I believe. I went through a couple FM Transmittors living in L.A. and it's just not worth it. Constantly was changing frequencies, it had AM station quality sound and just wasn't worth the hassle. Ended up getting a new stereo myself. You can go with either an Auxiliary Port and control from your iPhone, or a USB jack if your stereo is iPhone compatible (I would double check on this, a lot are "iPod" compatible, few are "iPhone" compatible) or you can get one with stereo bluetooth and take advantage of the new feature in fw 3.0. Either way is a lot better than an FM Transmitter.
All of those I was looking at said iPod/iPhone compatible.

Is stereo bluetooth as good as USB and/or Axillary?

The other issue is the stereo console in my truck. The space is huge and the stereo is small. I would need to look into getting some sort of facing to cover the huge gap that will be left.

I have never found an FM Transmitter that worked well. The frequencies never stays clear enough. Frequently I drive 60+ miles each way to work. There are just to many stations.

The new radio option is the one I would chose. Often then a radio is is iPod or Bluetooth capatible, you need to buy an optional component.

All of those I was looking at said iPod/iPhone compatible.

Is stereo bluetooth as good as USB and/or Axillary?

The other issue is the stereo console in my truck. The space is huge and the stereo is small. I would need to look into getting some sort of facing to cover the huge gap that will be left.

I would choose any wired connection (USB/Auxillary) over a wireless connection if you could, but stereo bluetooth is just a convienent means for less wiring. I haven't tried stereo bluetooth cause my 2G iPhone doesn't have the chipset for it. Just makes me want to upgrade even more to the 3GS.

Looks like a decent system, although you'll want to get the iPod connection accessory so it will run you a little more scratch.
The only thing I will need is the mounting accessory. The stereo has a USB port already and I have about 5 iPod/iPhone USB cords lying around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts