Best lnb for ku band

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
I am getting a motorized setup soon and curious about lnbs. I had a geosat lnb last year that worked great, but curious if I could get more feeds with a universal lnb. If so what would you say is the best universal on the market for pulling in the most feeds?

Thanks

In fact what would be your recommended best setup for a ku system for the most possible feeds? I currently have a GeosatPro 3500 hdvr. I bought a NPRM with a 2 3/8 pole. I am trying to buy at least a 36 inch dish, but am looking and not having luck finding a 1 meter anywhere. Last one I bought was from Electorica and it ended up being more like 35 inches than 1 meter! I see one online from CCTV that says 1 meter. I would get the 1.2 but geez after seeing the price for that plus the motor with shipping IDK.

Universal usually refers to the double LO (for upper and lower Ku bands, all linear). The Invacom that could do circular was a one-of a kind, and could be seen as "universal" in its own way but could not do lower Ku.

Maverick is excellent but only standard LO as far as I know, I don't think there's a universal version. It seems to the the best for very low SR signals.

Overall, I think the GeoSatPro UL1-PLL gave me great results. I am currently using a few Inverto Black Ultra universal LNBFs. I get a slightly better SNR than with the GeoSatPro, but the LO is a DRO, and fluctuates a bit with temperature. Not a problem at all for wide transponders, but can be a problem when the SR is below 2000.

with a Universal LNBF you might be able to get some channels on 34.5W and 65W, plus that new one on 30W.

as far as the best setup... well, I'd say a Geosatpro 1.2 meter with a good motor and a GSP LNBF would certainly be great. But I have to agree that the cost is a bit high... Next best option IMO would be the same with a 90cm GeoSatPro dish, or a good 1 meter. But i'd be tempted to think that a good quality 90cm might outperform a cheap 1 meter, depending on how accurately shaped the 1 meter reflector is.

Universal usually refers to the double LO (for upper and lower Ku bands, all linear). The Invacom that could do circular was a one-of a kind, and could be seen as "universal" in its own way but could not do lower Ku.

Maverick is excellent but only standard LO as far as I know, I don't think there's a universal version. It seems to the the best for very low SR signals.

Overall, I think the GeoSatPro UL1-PLL gave me great results. I am currently using a few Inverto Black Ultra universal LNBFs. I get a slightly better SNR than with the GeoSatPro, but the LO is a DRO, and fluctuates a bit with temperature. Not a problem at all for wide transponders, but can be a problem when the SR is below 2000.

with a Universal LNBF you might be able to get some channels on 34.5W and 65W, plus that new one on 30W.

as far as the best setup... well, I'd say a Geosatpro 1.2 meter with a good motor and a GSP LNBF would certainly be great. But I have to agree that the cost is a bit high... Next best option IMO would be the same with a 90cm GeoSatPro dish, or a good 1 meter. But i'd be tempted to think that a good quality 90cm might outperform a cheap 1 meter, depending on how accurately shaped the 1 meter reflector is.

Thanks! Yes I would like to see the stuff on 65 west but not if it would get me less feeds than I can pull in with the GSP lnb. Do you know who sells a 1meter dish? All I see is the 39 inch on Ebay from CCTV store.

Reactions: dfecarter
For an offset dish, some will call a 1m dish, one that is 1m top to bottom, and narrower (about 95cm) side to side. You want to measured side to side or effective aperture. It is effective because the satellite sees the dish as round due to the offset mounting of the lnbf. The dish will be 1m side to side, but bigger top to bottom. If the lnbf were mounted at the centre of the dish, then the dish would be round and measure the same side to side and top to bottom. In this case the satellite would also see the dish as round.
(Please note, effective aperture is slightly smaller than the width measurement)
Look at an offset dish and you will see that the width is smaller than the height. Then look at the dish from the LNBF mount and it will appear round. This only works for demonstration with an oval dish.
Some manufacturers will also give the gain specification.

Reactions: KE4EST
If you want a really good dish look for the 1m Channel Master dishes, they are white fibreglass units for commercial use. They can be found on businesses that used DTN and many other services that are now delivered via IP. The "face" is usually plain white or the company logo may be printed on it. Often they are free to take down, just make sure you discuss with the building owner before touching it. Check gas stations, small retail stores, car dealers, etc. Most of them are 1m or 1.2m but they can be 3m plus (very heavy!).

These usually come with a feed horn and separate LNB for single polarity. Inverto Blue makes a single and dual - dual polarity universal LNB for these that works very well with the factory feedhorn. Makes an awesome FTA Ku antenna!

I have two 1.2m dishes like this, runs circles around the steel stamped 1.2m fortec Star with standard LNBF.

None of mine are motorized currently. The Stab HH120 positioner should work with the 1m, but IMHO the 1.2m would be too heavy for the HH120 and would require a polar mount with actuator. I actually had the Fortec Star 1.2m mounted on an HH120 for a while and a big wind came along and broke the housing on the motor. It was repaired but the bearing(s) was damaged as well and keeps coming loose. It still works but not as good as it should.

Just my cent and a half... :)

Are there any companies selling commercial grade Ku fiberglass dishes suitable for FTA these days like the Channel Master mentioned above?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)