Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
Just got this email:

Dear Programming Customer:

There will be some big changes coming up in the C-Band world. On January 4th, 2011 Motorola will shut down the 4DTV authorization stream, so programming as we know it will change drastically. Customers will still be able to use their 4DTV receivers after completing a simple 7-step conversion process and will be able to receive the channels found on satellite W5 only. Some services will no longer be available because they will not be broadcasting on satellite W5. If you wish to continue using your 4DTV receiver you can follow the the 7-step process conversion, we will be sending the instructions in an email in the coming weeks. This process will clear out all other satellites and W5 will be the only satellite available. The conversion cannot be completed until January 4th, 2011. If you do it before this date it will disable your receiver and you will not receive your current programming.

Please understand that we will be very busy during this time and expect a long hold time and possibly busy signals. Or you could send us an email at srlpc@srlcd.com

We offer an interactive on-line feature called WEBSAMS where customers can do rehits, order programming and check the status of their account. You can call us at 1-800-432-8876 to get signed up today or you can visit our website at www.programming-center.net to send us an email to get signed up. This will be a helpful tool with the conversion process and may save time getting your programming back up and running.

We would like to thank all our customers for their continued support and we look forward to providing programming well into the future.

Sincerely,

Satellite Receivers LTD.
The Programming Center

1-800-432-8876

E-mail: srlpc@srlcd.com

***If you no longer use your big C-Band satellite dish or if you would prefer not receive e-mail updates please reply to this email with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Well right now this looks bad, really bad. No one in their right mind is going to brick a 922/920 into a stationary receiver. I use mine for many ITC ZK DCII channels all the time, like NET-PBS. Not to mention as the mover for my DVB.

I just got the e-mail too not good. Wonder what Mike Kohl will say Wed on Sat talk. I'm not turning my 922 into a glorified cable box. I have one it's called DirecTV. I guess I'm done with C band subscription for good (at least thats how I feel right now) :(

"This process will clear out all other satellites and W5 will be the only satellite available."

Looks like my C-Band subscription days are over... I absolutely will not turn my 922 into a brick.

4 play source code

Does anyone have a problem with me uploading the 4play source code here at Satellite Guys so it can be fixed if someone can, then we could use it to program our own maps? Motorola, Skyvision, SRL or Comcast don't seem to want to do anything for us but turn us into Comcast cable users with $600 cable boxes for an abbreviated line up. That's not what C band is all about!

There's been so little on C band analog anyway, and not much on "free" DC encryption I don't mind making a change, to preserve options in where my programming comes-from. But then, I also have the G-box ready on FTA, and a 410 on the way as an option, too. The whole idea was to keep the C-band medium active as an option to pizza dishes and cable. The Changeover still gives that option.

Curious, those who are against the change, how many "free" channels have you been enjoying, or is it the part about the losing of dish positioning via satellite name that you're more concerned-about? Aside from a couple of analog channels I don't use, and Nebraska TV, is there really that much being lost? (aside from the obvious missing subs we're used to on birds other than W5? like the Discovery Channel)

I got the same e-mail. I need to get ahold of a 410. I want some channels from W5, but not at the cost of "bricking" my 920!

Well, we had to know this was coming. That's probably the reason they've been so closed lip about the whole thing. It's just the final step in trying to kill off the remaining 920/922s out there I guess.

My 920 has been disconnected from the coax now for about a month and it still works fine as a mover. From what I can tell, all the generic tiles are still there too. It won't get reconnected until some time next year once all the dust settles and we know what's happening without the authorization stream and the coax connected back up.

So I wish them luck but there will be NO W5 for me either!:rant:

My 922 is my ONLY dish mover. The 922 does a great job of moving the dish and controlling the polarity for me. I don't have any other means, other than a hand crank to move my BUD. Over 80% of the time I'm watching DVB / DVB-S2 stuff in FTA using the 922 as the dish mover. Only 20% of the time am I actually watching my subscription to the channels on the W5 bird.

Sat-Talk Live should involve some interesting discussions this Wednesday.

I doubt that I'll be subscribing after the end of the year, also. I'm going to miss SyFy, though, but I can always rent DVD's for SyFy programs even though I'll have to wait awhile after first run seasons. Besides, the DVD's will be of higher quality than what I'm getting from the W5 SyFy anyway.

But, there's plenty to watch on FTA.

Curious, those who are against the change, how many "free" channels have you been enjoying, or is it the part about the losing of dish positioning via satellite name that you're more concerned-about? Aside from a couple of analog channels I don't use, and Nebraska TV, is there really that much being lost? (aside from the obvious missing subs we're used to on birds other than W5? like the Discovery Channel)

I bought my 4DTV to move my dish and get C band MASTER feeds. The DC-2 decoder in the 4DTV does that with the help of the generic maps I can tune muxes I like when they go ITC. I'm not giving that up or the option to move my dish because Comcast & Motorola is a bunch of d--kheads. Screw them. I'm on a quest now to beat the system! All the cable channels I want I get on Direct. I hate to say this but after this kick in the -ss. I'm glad I got DirecTV when I did!

C band subscription is really living on borrowed time. Then next thing those who sub to W5 will hear is the modulation is going to megapipe and nothing will be available anymore. Then the 4dtv's that were bricked will become Voom receivers, BOAT ANCHORS!

I got to wonder..... It seems like alot of SRL customers service billing cycles end on the 21th or 22th of each month. (mine does) So what do you do till the 4th while your waiting for motarola to "get lost" and turn off there maps/data stream?

I agree that they do move dishes well, I, too do this until I install the G-box......But, I recognize all things change with time, too. If the whole idea was "choice" in SUBSCRIPTIONS via the big dish, then it is still a viable option for those who kept the 4D units for subs-only in the post VCII days. And, its an option for reviving the backyard larger dishes for some folks who might be tired of contracts, bad service, and larger corporations. Locally, I've had people come to me asking why the big dishes, and when I tell them, they are intrigued by the ease of W-5, less rainfade, and less contracts with the pizza guys. I think consumers are tired of contracts.

I do not discount the reasons for keeping anyone's 4D active and not "bricking." I was just more curious, and should have said in my earlier post, "Am I missing something in the FREE realm of C-band" by allowing my 4D to become a W-5 system? I have only had the NET stuff and no other "free" signals that I would really miss.

Obviously the cost savings of not losing a positioner IS important.

I have other receivers I could use to move my dish. That's not my real beef. Mine is the loss of being able to tune in master C band DC-2 signals when they go ITC. With the programmers figuring there will only be a few madmen that still can see the master feeds they may get more lax with encryption and we may get some great extended events. Now that no masters can be subbed to after 1/4 any cable master that goes ITC will be a treat. Those with a bricked cable box 1DTV won't be able to ever see them again. I'm sorry thats not what I choose. Some may be fine with it but not me. I'm very disappointed with SRL and Skyvision.

A little off-topic, but what I want is a DBS HD c/ku receiver that will directly control both a big c-band dish including skew, polarity, etc. and a small ku dish with a lnbf, without having to use a V-Box. Then, I won't need to use my 920 as a dish mover (I can live without the free DCII channels). If I want some channels on W-5, I can use a DSR-420 box looped out of the main c/ku receiver.

Last edited:
C band subscription is really living on borrowed time. Then next thing those who sub to W5 will hear is the modulation is going to megapipe and nothing will be available anymore. Then the 4dtv's that were bricked will become Voom receivers, BOAT ANCHORS!

I guess that's when we go strictly FTA with a Gbox or Vbox - unless we can get 4play to work without bricking the 4DTV first. It really sucks that things have come to this.

I guess that's when we go strictly FTA with a Gbox or Vbox - unless we can get 4play to work without bricking the 4DTV first. It really sucks that things have come to this.

Screw them! all we are is a dollar bill to Comcast, Greed speaks again! My 4D will stay a 4D for DC-2 ITC, DVB and a dish mover. Read my lips Comcast "No more money from me" They suck as a cable company by me and now as a satellite provider too.

With this being pulled off who thinks there is a kill hit in the works by evil Motorola to kill the rest of the 4D's like they did with Voom?

Screw them! all we are is a dollar bill to Comcast, Greed speaks again! My 4D will stay a 4D for DC-2 ITC, DVB and a dish mover. Read my lips Comcast "No more money from me" They suck as a cable company by me and now as a satellite provider too.

With this being pulled off who thinks there is a kill hit in the works by evil Motorola to kill the rest of the 4D's like they did with Voom?

I'd like to keep the 4D as a dish mover, at least, but I won't cry too much if it gets bricked. After all, these companies operate in a capitalist system so they're going to do whatever they can get away with. Our only option is to quit watching television and put them out of business. But, that's not likely to happen. Well, I have been reading in the news that a lot of people are dropping satellite and cable subscriptions lately. Anyway, I should have shown more people what they're missing by being DN subscribers but no one cared because they're not willing to invest the big bucks for a BUD and receiver plus programming costs. Not to mention a lot of people think they're getting a great deal with DN. Anyway, this is typical because we've always ended up with lower quality products everywhere because someone marketed a low quality, inexpensive product better than the guy with the better product (which usually costs more).

Besides, when is it not greed? When it's all free?

wow. wasnt it just thanksgiving down south ? srl went out of its way to work out an option. true it isnt the end result we had hoped for but it is better than no choice. i think some people wont be happy no matter what.

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts