Big News: DirecTV 12 to take DirecTV 10 load for spotbeam fix attempt

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In all honesty, I don't see Dish Network as a movie lovers paradise either. While they have a few more premiums in HD, they don't have enough. I probably won't end up switching again until I am back in a FIOS neighborhood ( a frue movie lover's paradise.) I just wish DirecTV would broaden their horizons. They have all this capacity and a ton of fans wanting more non-sports content. Either that or a merger of DirecTV and Dish that could actually complete with FIOS and the cable companies.

You make FIOS sound so great ..... and it may be, but it's only available in small areas of the country, I am in a Verizon area and FIOS will be here in another 10 years maybe ..... and I'm in a decent size city that has had Verizon for many years.

Verizon has been HORRIBLE for most of thier services, they still only offer 3 mg internet and PROMOTE 1 mg.

I guess it just boils down to me having been spoiled with FIOS. I took it for granted that I received all 26 HBO/MAX HD channels, most Showtimes, most Starz, and all 4 E/W TMC channels in HD. And that was about a year ago. I had to move so I have just DirecTV now. When I had DirecTV and FIOS there was never anything on D* that I couldn't get on FIOS except Sunday Ticket (which I would never order anyway) and Trailer Park Boys on The 101 (which I have seen each episode of 3-4 times). So after being spoiled with that. I look at the channel lineups for both my DirecTV and that of Dish Network and see nothing but gaps. There are only about five or six HD nationals I really really want and all available premiums. I wold happily pay DirecTV another $30-$50 a month if they would give me all available HBO/MAX/Starz/TMC in HD, along with ID HD, Tru HD, History International HD, IFC HD, and a few others like G4. I vote to subsidize another satellite. I thought that is what we were getting with D12. How many RSN's are there actually still out there before they take their mind off sports and add other content? They must be pretty close to having them all by now. No?

I still think DirecTV and Dish should merge. They could carry all locals from the smallest of market's independent networks and build an arsenal of premium channels. Not to mention, all RSNs!

Now you have me curious about FIOS :).

Are you saying that your previous FIOS svc matched DTV's sports offerings (excluding ST)? Does that mean that they offered:

RSN availibility: All RSN's available that are provided by DTV
MLB EI - Nearly games in HD with dual feeds (home and away)
NHL CI - All games in HD with most gms in dual feeds
NCAA Div 1A football coverage: All RSN's available ie, SEC outlets, Big Ten network primary and alt feeds, games available on RSN's
NBA League Pass (I don't subs to this one on DTV so I can't compare it)
NCAA Men's basketball reg season pkg in addition to "March Madness" pkg

If your previous FIOS offered all of this, I may need to look at my area's Verizon FIOS programming closer in the future.

Now you have me curious about FIOS :).

Are you saying that your previous FIOS svc matched DTV's sports offerings (excluding ST)? Does that mean that they offered:

RSN availibility: All RSN's available that are provided by DTV
MLB EI - Nearly games in HD with dual feeds (home and away)
NHL CI - All games in HD with most gms in dual feeds
NCAA Div 1A football coverage: All RSN's available ie, SEC outlets, Big Ten network primary and alt feeds, games available on RSN's
NBA League Pass (I don't subs to this one on DTV so I can't compare it)
NCAA Men's basketball reg season pkg in addition to "March Madness" pkg

If your previous FIOS offered all of this, I may need to look at my area's Verizon FIOS programming closer in the future.

No, I am not saying that. I am just a basic sports fan of my local teams. Bucs, Lightning, and Rays... it doesn't matter if I have DirecTV, Bright House Networks, or FIOS, if the games are in HD I am getting them. That is all I care about. I am not enough of a hockey fan to watch a non-playoff game from across the country but if I want to watch my Lightning I am sitting down watching the same thing you are if I have FIOS. There are very few games IN HD on the away team side and not on the local side. This does happen a few times a year but certainly not enough to justify Center Ice. I got around this before by having a second set of locals via DirecTV when I had FIOS. But anyway... for the everage fan who does not buy additional subscriptions for sports like Center Ice or Sunday Ticket, FIOS is fine. I can understand your side of it if you are a fanatic that cannot miss a game. But if you are that much of a fan you don't have time for movies and series anyway and maybe don't care about more HBO. I guess I am the non sports fanatic spokesperson for what DirecTV is missing.

No, I am not saying that. I am just a basic sports fan of my local teams. Bucs, Lightning, and Rays... it doesn't matter if I have DirecTV, Bright House Networks, or FIOS, if the games are in HD I am getting them. That is all I care about. I am not enough of a hockey fan to watch a non-playoff game from across the country but if I want to watch my Lightning I am sitting down watching the same thing you are if I have FIOS. There are very few games IN HD on the away team side and not on the local side. This does happen a few times a year but certainly not enough to justify Center Ice. I got around this before by having a second set of locals via DirecTV when I had FIOS. But anyway... for the everage fan who does not buy additional subscriptions for sports like Center Ice or Sunday Ticket, FIOS is fine. I can understand your side of it if you are a fanatic that cannot miss a game. But if you are that much of a fan you don't have time for movies and series anyway and maybe don't care about more HBO. I guess I am the non sports fanatic spokesperson for what DirecTV is missing.

I had FIOS but moved and cannot get it again even though a house 200 feet away has it and my street is wired. As a movie lover I am unhappy with DirecTV's premium channels. FIOS had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD. DirecTV has 4.

Ya know, I think I would talk to a few of the people locally that work for Verizion, maybe a few tech 's in the field too.
I work for ATT and when U-Verse is available in an area and a particular house that you would think should be able to have it, the reports say NO, we go in and investigate it and possibly cut out bridge tap to shorten the loop length, I don't know if FIOS is loop length destined or not.

I had FIOS but moved and cannot get it again even though a house 200 feet away has it and my street is wired. As a movie lover I am unhappy with DirecTV's premium channels. FIOS had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD. DirecTV has 4.

Ya know, I think I would talk to a few of the people locally that work for Verizion, maybe a few tech 's in the field too.
I work for ATT and when U-Verse is available in an area and a particular house that you would think should be able to have it, the reports say NO, we go in and investigate it and possibly cut out bridge tap to shorten the loop length, I don't know if FIOS is loop length destined or not.

After gong around and around with them, I sort of just gave up. Several missed supervisor callbacks, my offer to "resell" their service as a computer tech for people around town, and other offerings and questions went unanswered. I have customers in my neighborhood that would love to get FIOS. I could sign many up but FIOS does not seem to care.

If it becomes available I will go back but it looks like they really don't care or need the business. With the bandwidth they have, they could do a lot with the service. Unfortunately, it is miss-managed like most of Verizon.

Verizon has announced they will not be rolling out FIOS to any new areas: Verizon Communications Inc. will no longer seek new cities to roll out its FiOS TV service as the company nears the end of its $23 billion network upgrade project. The New York-based telecommunications provider has wagered heavily that its bundle of faster Internet service and television would give it an edge over its cable rivals, and has spent the last six years replacing much of its older, slower copper lines with faster fiber-optic ones. One of the hurdles has been getting community approval to offer television service, or what's known as a video franchise. Verizon made it known that it would not seek anymore franchises after sending a letter last week to city officials in Alexandria, Va., telling them that the company has stopped seeking nationwide permission to offer television service in new markets. Among the other large cities not getting access to FiOS TV are Boston and Baltimore. The company, however, said it is still working through existing negotiations with about a dozen local communities, mostly in New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. The company also continues to expand the availability of FiOS to its existing markets. "We're fulfilling our original commitments," said Verizon spokesman Bill Kula. Verizon still intends to connect 18 million households to FiOS by the end of the year, with some residual deployments slipping into 2011. By the end of the rollout, 70% of Verizon's households will have access to FiOS Internet, with slightly less getting access to TV service, Kula said. At the end of last year, 15.4 million households were connected to the high-speed network, although not everyone was able to get the service yet.

Verizon has announced they will not be rolling out FIOS to any new areas: Verizon Communications Inc. will no longer seek new cities to roll out its FiOS TV service as the company nears the end of its $23 billion network upgrade project. The New York-based telecommunications provider has wagered heavily that its bundle of faster Internet service and television would give it an edge over its cable rivals, and has spent the last six years replacing much of its older, slower copper lines with faster fiber-optic ones. One of the hurdles has been getting community approval to offer television service, or what's known as a video franchise. Verizon made it known that it would not seek anymore franchises after sending a letter last week to city officials in Alexandria, Va., telling them that the company has stopped seeking nationwide permission to offer television service in new markets. Among the other large cities not getting access to FiOS TV are Boston and Baltimore. The company, however, said it is still working through existing negotiations with about a dozen local communities, mostly in New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. The company also continues to expand the availability of FiOS to its existing markets. "We're fulfilling our original commitments," said Verizon spokesman Bill Kula. Verizon still intends to connect 18 million households to FiOS by the end of the year, with some residual deployments slipping into 2011. By the end of the rollout, 70% of Verizon's households will have access to FiOS Internet, with slightly less getting access to TV service, Kula said. At the end of last year, 15.4 million households were connected to the high-speed network, although not everyone was able to get the service yet.

Hmmmm,
I wonder if they call the fastest they will offer here High Speed, they currently will only go to 3 mg in my area and are Promoting High Speed as 1 mg.

They have just sent out letters to us telling us that they no longer want us and will be moved to Frontier between the end of the month and the end of the year.

Way to step up to the Plate Verizon

These last two post should really have thier own thread in a different area.

Frontier is taking over many of the Verizon properties (including lots of FIOS territory). It shouldn't represent a step backwards.

The feds are watching Frontier as a leading player in the broadband initiative.

Sorry about the off-topic.

Frontier is taking over many of the Verizon properties (including lots of FIOS territory). It shouldn't represent a step backwards.

The feds are watching Frontier as a leading player in the broadband initiative.

Sorry about the off-topic.

Wondering if Frontier will offer faster internet here than Verizon offers, the V tech said there would be 7 mg a year and a half ago.

I pay $35 for 3 mg and Frontier offers 3 mg for $ 50 .....

Thanks for the information. I am fully aware of all of it though. See, I live in St Petersburg, FL, which has pockets that have been wired and never activated. I am not just hoping they will expand a neighboring coverage into my neighborhood. Imagine in your head a picture of Manhattan but on a much smaller scale. Imagine that Central Park is just another residential neighborhood. Imagine now that you are looking at a map of Manhattan and that everything has been wired, yet that section known as Central Park has not yet been enabled.

See, they went through and wired the neighborhood and all neighboods around it have service, but not this neighborhood. My best guess is that they would want to activate this area and that it doesn't fall under the abandoned areas. But, in typical Verizon fashion, a straight answer cannot be had out of them.

Hey, let's start talking about Cox HSI next, so we can get more off topic...

You are absolutely right. Let's get back on topic. What can you tell us about the success of the repairs being done to 10? Oh wait, you have no new information to share? Is it any wonder why people stray off topic? No new information

it isn't a really big deal if people start talking about other things. While not DIRECTLY connected to D*, these off topics are related in a way. We are still talking about the cable and satellite industry and competing providers. I see the relevance. I'm sorry if you cant see the relevance.

There is no relevance, start a new thread. When there is no new data, there should be no new posts. Someone who's subscribed for fix updates, which is the TOPIC of the thread, is forced to listen to this off topic banter. Threads aren't there for your amusement when nothing is going on.

There is no relevance, start a new thread. When there is no new data, there should be no new posts. Someone who's subscribed for fix updates, which is the TOPIC of the thread, is forced to listen to this off topic banter. Threads aren't there for your amusement when nothing is going on.

And those same folks are forced to read this response of yours. If you are so annoyed with my post, send me a PM and spare the other subscribers.

The relevancy of my posts are a personal opinion of yours, not necessarily "fact."

Ignore button will now fix this problem, especially since Im not the first tired of hearing your babble. Mods, please delete any of my off topic posts, Ive found a better solution for the other poster.

Lets get back ON TOPIC folks...last I checked this was in regards to the D10/D12 satellite fixing issue :)

And I wont delete all off topic posts...we're not the other site ;)

Any word on the completion of the D10 repairs? At the risk of sounding off topic, I would like to see some new HD and we need D12 for that.

Any word on the completion of the D10 repairs? At the risk of sounding off topic, I would like to see some new HD and we need D12 for that.

IIRC, they can't do anything until Wednesday. This is according to the FCC filings. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts