Big Ten to Expand?

It has been reported that the #1 QB has COMMITTED to Ohio State !!!

Speaking of tOSU, looks like we're in the running for the #1 QB recruit in the 2011 HS class....

Quote:
QB Braxton Miller a JR @Huber Hts. HS near Dayton will reportedly announce Thurs. what college he'll attend & Ohio St is 1 of the finalists

So the Big Ten continues to focus on Notre Dame and is seriously considering whether to invite Missouri as well as three schools from the Big East (Rutgers, UConn and either Syracuse or Pittsburgh) . Such a move would likely collapse the Big East, where Notre Dame plays its sports other than football, and might cause the Irish to finally acquiesce to joining the Big Ten.
I keep hearing that the Big East will collapse if it loses the mentioned teams.

I have to ask why? Sure Big East football would be a goner, but why the rest? The Big East was a power conference in other sports (ie Basketball) long before Miami joined and Big East football started. No reason it can't go back to that, especailly when it has 9 (including Notre Dame) non-football schools. A non-football conference works just as well for the Irish as the current set-up. I think the Big 10 and everyone is miscalculating this when considering taking weaker Big East teams to try and force Notre Dame's hand.

I have my doubts, but time will tell. Most of those schools really don't fit the PAC-10 image. Still, it all comes down to the money.
It's actually a smart move. Taking Texas, Oklahoma & Oklahoma St. raises the Pac 10 football image to SEC levels, and the proposed geographic split in the article works well, you have a Pacific Coast division and a Mexican border division that both work very well.
If the Pac 10 moves quickly, then they'll be able to control the re-alignments before the Big 10 can take control.

If the moves happens, then Missouri is in the Big 10 for sure. What happens with Nebraska and the Kansas schools is a good question, perhaps the MWC might look eastward.

I keep hearing that the Big East will collapse if it loses the mentioned teams.

I have to ask why? Sure Big East football would be a goner, but why the rest? The Big East was a power conference in other sports (ie Basketball) long before Miami joined and Big East football started. No reason it can't go back to that, especailly when it has 9 (including Notre Dame) non-football schools. A non-football conference works just as well for the Irish as the current set-up. I think the Big 10 and everyone is miscalculating this when considering taking weaker Big East teams to try and force Notre Dame's hand.

It all depends on how far the dominos fall. I think most are talking about the "BCS Wing" of the Big East, as it's likely the ACC and SEC will farm out the rest of them, assuming one league goes to 16.

You're right, though, that a "Catholic League" of:

St John's
Nova
PC
St Joe's (from A10)
Georgetown
ND
Marquette
Seton Hall
+ a few more

...would be a GREAT conference in non-football, and a likely home for the Domers, should they remain football-independent.

It's actually a smart move. Taking Texas, Oklahoma & Oklahoma St. raises the Pac 10 football image to SEC levels, and the proposed geographic split in the article works well, you have a Pacific Coast division and a Mexican border division that both work very well.
If the Pac 10 moves quickly, then they'll be able to control the re-alignments before the Big 10 can take control.

If the moves happens, then Missouri is in the Big 10 for sure. What happens with Nebraska and the Kansas schools is a good question, perhaps the MWC might look eastward.

Like I said before the Big Tens has already talked with the likes of Nebraska , Oklahoma and Texas.... what make you think that those teams would just UP and Go with the Pac 10 instead.

Still think the Pac 10 is just getting thier name in the conversation.

What happens with the BCS?

Interesting thought, If we did get 4 power 16-team conferences (ACC, SEC, Pac 10, Big 10) and the Big East & Big 12 fold, what happens to the BCS?

There would all the sudden be only 4 BSC conferences left, but 5 games (4 Bowls & the Championship game).

With the Pac 10 & Big 10 going to the Rose Bowl, there is no way to fill the other 4 games. The smaller conferences will wield a lot of power against the BCS in order to fill those games.

Forget about a Plus 1 model, as the non-BCS schools will never let a playoff happen unless they're full/equitable partners.

So which Bowls get left out? Sugar, Orange, and/or Fiesta? Does the 5th game get tossed?

Does the MWC expand and become a full partner? They won't settle for anything less since the BCS will be desperate to fill up games.

I have a feeling this expansion could be a deathblow to the BCS and we go back to conference champions locked into specific bowls.

Like I said before the Big Tens has already talked with the likes of Nebraska , Oklahoma and Texas.... what make you think that those teams would just UP and Go with the Pac 10 instead.

Still think the Pac 10 is just getting thier name in the conversation.
The Big 10 doesn't want Texas A&M, and there is no way the Texas legislature will let one leave the Big 12 without the other.
Also logistics, a Pac 10 alliance benefits Texas's non-football sports better than being in the Big 10 (less distances to travel).
Same situation applies with Oklahoma in regards to Oklahoma St. and logistics.

The Big 10 doesn't want Texas A&M, and there is no way the Texas legislature will let one leave the Big 12 without the other.
Also logistics, a Pac 10 alliance benefits Texas's non-football sports better than being in the Big 10 (less distances to travel).
Same situation applies with Oklahoma in regards to Oklahoma St. and logistics.
OU would throw O-State under the bus in a heartbeat. They just want to keep Texas and Nebraska on the schedule.

Smart Move IF the PAC 10 can pull it off. Good PR for the league to even get the names in the CFB talking circles.

It will all depend on the structure of the TV Contracts.

As an SEC fan I hope the SEC can scoop up Texas and Texas A&M.

Not 100% sure about the other two if the SEC expands to 16. Could be Oklahoma and Oklahoma State if they are interested. All 4 Schools will have multiple options.

SEC could go the other direction and try to get Virginia and Virginia Tech or Maryland and try to get some of the Mid Atlantic TV markets.

Best thing out of all this Shuffling when it starts will be the demise of the Big East as a Football Conference.

The proposed Basketball Confence though for the Big East looks very interesting. Probably how it should have been all along.

OU would throw O-State under the bus in a heartbeat. They just want to keep Texas and Nebraska on the schedule.
OU would, same as Texas would to A&M, but these are all Public schools, owned & operated by their State's. The Oklahoma & Texas Legislatures won't allow them to throw the lesser institution under the bus.

So the Big Ten will not add Pitt because they already have PA, Correct?

Well, what happens when the ACC grabs Pitt? The Big Ten no longer has all of PA.

That is why they must take Pitt.

OU would, same as Texas would to A&M, but these are all Public schools, owned & operated by their State's. The Oklahoma & Texas Legislatures won't allow them to throw the lesser institution under the bus.

Are you sure about that? The legislature has control of what conference the teams are in? I don't think so. Many states with two or more major schools and they are in different sports conferences. I think the governing bodies have more to worry about than that.

Are you sure about that? The legislature has control of what conference the teams are in? I don't think so. Many states with two or more major schools and they are in different sports conferences. I think the governing bodies have more to worry about than that.

They do have a say. Which is why FLA plays FSU every year. Its required by the state.

Yeah when the SEC expanded the last go around Arkansas and South Carolina came in, Harvey Schiller(SEC Commissioner) had a deal on the table waiting on the I's to be dotted T's crossed that would have moved Texas to the SEC. The Texas State Legislature got involved insisted on Texas A&M being part of any deal.

Thus No Texas and Viola Arkansas and South Carolina.

Looking back I'm sure TPTB in the SEC wished they had just accepted Both Texas Schools then.

States control the money of public schools. Thats how they have a "say" . Well you dont want to do what we say? Then we'll just take a few million dollars from your budget.

They do have a say. Which is why FLA plays FSU every year. Its required by the state.
Yep, UVa voted against ACC expansion when it was Miami, Syracuse, & BC because the Governor told them Va Tech had to be included or no one was. So next thing you know, it's Miami & Va Tech and later BC.

Public Universities get their money from the State and have their Board of Regents selected by the Governor and/or Legislature, so yes the State can and will influence their decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)