Big Ten to Expand?

Ohio State would never accept an invite to the SEC .....

If your scenario comes thru and Miami joins ......

They would be the only team the Bucks can beat ! :rolleyes::eek::D

You can beat the ACC Miami Hurricanes, but when they join the SEC a force field will be put on them and no Ohio State team can beat them (0-10?) :D;):angel::angel:

Only when they play the SEC. For some reason Michigan owns the SEC, same as the SEC owns Ohio St.

Tennessee 45
Michigan 17

That was their last meeting after the 2001 season. The dominance of Michigan over the SEC doesn't even approach the level of failure that Ohio State has attained against the SEC. They have done very well, as they have historically done against nearly everyone, but Michigan's record against SEC teams is also bolstered by fans who want to use wins over Vanderbilt and Tulane as a show of strength.

Tennessee 45
Michigan 17

That was their last meeting after the 2001 season. The dominance of Michigan over the SEC doesn't even approach the level of failure that Ohio State has attained against the SEC. They have done very well, as they have historically done against nearly everyone, but Michigan's record against SEC teams is also bolstered by fans who want to use wins over Vanderbilt and Tulane as a show of strength.
Michigan is 13-4-1 against the SEC and you somehow have forgotten them beating Florida in 2008, Florida in 2003, Auburn in 2001, Alabama in 2000 and Arkanasas in 1999 (all bowl games mind you). ;)

Historically OSU is 3-11-1 against the SEC with the majority of those losses coming on or after 1 January. To me, Michigan's success against the SEC is on par with OSU failure.

Here is the source

riffjim4069 said:
Michigan is 13-4-1 against the SEC and you somehow have forgotten them beating Florida in 2008, Florida in 2003, Auburn in 2001, Alabama in 2000 and Arkanasas in 1999 (all bowl games mind you). ;)

Historically OSU is 3-11-1 against the SEC with the majority of those losses coming on or after 1 January. To me, Michigan's success against the SEC is on par with OSU failure.

Here is the source

I have hardly forgotten since I was pulling for Michigan in all of those games. I still wouldn't put their success on the level of OSU's failure though. It seems like, as you indirectly stated when you said most of OSU's losses come on or after January 1st, that the losses when it hurts.

I'm not here to prop up one conference or another, so that is just my opinion as a University of Tennessee student and a Wolverine fan since birth. But given the records, what reasons could there be for Michigan's success and OSU's failure against SEC teams? It doesn't make much sense.

Here is the source

I have hardly forgotten since I was pulling for Michigan in all of those games. I still wouldn't put their success on the level of OSU's failure though. It seems like, as you indirectly stated when you said most of OSU's losses come on or after January 1st, that the losses when it hurts.

I'm not here to prop up one conference or another, so that is just my opinion as a University of Tennessee student and a Wolverine fan since birth. But given the records, what reasons could there be for Michigan's success and OSU's failure against SEC teams? It doesn't make much sense.

Your baffling ....

How can you say that Michigan's dominance isn't as good as OSU lack of when M's record is 13-4-1 and OSU is 3-11-1, those records are pretty close if you ask me, in opposite directions of course.

It may be scewed slightly because I don't think M played Florida when they were ranked in the top 5 (of the top of my head). While the Bucks did play teams that were the top teams of the year.
I'm referring to the Bowl games, not the regular season games as I don't even remember the last time the Bucks played the SEC in the reg. season.

Jimbo said:
Your baffling ....

How can you say that Michigan's dominance isn't as good as OSU lack of when M's record is 13-4-1 and OSU is 3-11-1, those records are pretty close if you ask me, in opposite directions of course.

It may be scewed slightly because I don't think M played Florida when they were ranked in the top 5 (of the top of my head). While the Bucks did play teams that were the top teams of the year.
I'm referring to the Bowl games, not the regular season games as I don't even remember the last time the Bucks played the SEC in the reg. season.

I believe that is a likely reason. OSU has generally been facing better SEC teams and mostly in bigger bowl games. It should also be a fair fight when OSU rolls through the Big Ten with a top 5 ranking. The two Michigan wins against Florida were in down years for UF, though they were still a tough team.

I guess it depends on how you define success and failure. I'd call laying an egg in a national title game a spectacular failure. Plus, you can't really claim to dominate a conference by having a great record against its 3rd through 12th best teams. Michigan's success is much less visible than Ohio State's failure. Last time I checked, OSU has lost every single bowl game against the SEC.

I believe that is a likely reason. OSU has generally been facing better SEC teams and mostly in bigger bowl games. It should also be a fair fight when OSU rolls through the Big Ten with a top 5 ranking. The two Michigan wins against Florida were in down years for UF, though they were still a tough team.

I guess it depends on how you define success and failure. I'd call laying an egg in a national title game a spectacular failure. Plus, you can't really claim to dominate a conference by having a great record against its 3rd through 12th best teams. Michigan's success is much less visible than Ohio State's failure. Last time I checked, OSU has lost every single bowl game against the SEC.

Ok, answer me this:
Would you rather your Vols get to the MNC game and lose or NOT GET THERE AT ALL ?

Jimbo said:
Ok, answer me this:
Would you rather your Vols get to the MNC game and lose or NOT GET THERE AT ALL ?

You know the answer to that. I honestly think that the recent records for Michigan and Ohio State against the SEC are more the product of the teams they played, and therefore the levels at which they were expected to compete, than any dominance.

Michigan's success against the lower teams does not impress me in the same way that I am impressed by the top of the SEC always beating a very good Ohio State program. If given the choice of records, I'd rather be Ohio State losing to a one loss 2006 Florida team than Michigan beating them with Ron Zook at the helm to hand the Gators a fifth loss or a fourth loss in a down year like 2007. Michigan's record does not impress me as dominant because they really haven't consistently been in a situation where it is the best against the best when playing the SEC. Many of their wins are also against Vanderbilt, which should impress no one.

You know the answer to that. I honestly think that the recent records for Michigan and Ohio State against the SEC are more the product of the teams they played, and therefore the levels at which they were expected to compete, than any dominance.

Michigan's success against the lower teams does not impress me in the same way that I am impressed by the top of the SEC always beating a very good Ohio State program. If given the choice of records, I'd rather be Ohio State losing to a one loss 2006 Florida team than Michigan beating them with Ron Zook at the helm to hand the Gators a fifth loss or a fourth loss in a down year like 2007. Michigan's record does not impress me as dominant because they really haven't consistently been in a situation where it is the best against the best when playing the SEC. Many of their wins are also against Vanderbilt, which should impress no one.

I don't know, I have never looked up who M has beaten in the SEC.

One win over Vanderbuilt since 1969 and none versus Tulane is hardly my definition of bolstering. Your post made it seem like Michigan regularly plays these powerderpuffs. I am just providing factual information. ;)

Regardless, Rich Rodrigues has quickly turned the winningest team in college football history into a laughingstock. At least he'll be gone after this season.

One win over Vanderbuilt since 1969 and none versus Tulane is hardly my definition of bolstering. Your post made it seem like Michigan regularly plays these powerderpuffs. I am just providing factual information. ;)

Regardless, Rich Rodrigues has quickly turned the winningest team in college football history into a laughingstock. At least he'll be gone after this season.

Thanks Jim,
I didn't think they played the bottom of the SEC all that much either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)