Birdog Port Savers x2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

caketin

Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks Guys for letting me join your satellite forum.

Any chance any of you guys in the US can help me out in the UK?
I am trying to get hold of 2 birdog Port Savers.
I have Horizon 2.5 meter (Birdog) and my port savers are installed internally to the internal tuner.
They are both quite worn out and I only have myself to blame.
Horizon says they will fit it to my meter but say because it is a repair it will be very expensive and I would be better off buying a new v3 Model.
If I can get hold of 2 Port Savers I can repair it myself and the best part is the parts are very cheap from the USA.
Horizon will not sell these parts to its customers.

caketin

I checked Digi-Key online and even called (I was already placing an order) and I couldn't find any myself or with the help of a tech. The closest I can find is this one. I even checked the website listed on the photo from the above mentioned ebay auction (techtoolsupply.com) and didn't see any (maybe I didn't dig enough?).
Anyhow, if you really can't source these where you are, I'd be happy to purchase you a pair from ebay and ship it at cost. Just let me know.

This is the part you want from Digi-key. This one threads on:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=501-1160-ND

However these may not be quite long enough. I remember the internal port extensions were fairly long when I opened up my Birdog to retighten them. I have a Birdog v3.

What you might also do is use a piece of RG6 with two male ends and attach a female to female barrel adapter on one end to go through the Birdog chassis. Then when the barrel adapter wears out just get another one. Or use the parts in the above link to act as port savers for the barrel adapters.

Last edited:
I managed to order 2 birdog port savers.Thanks Guys!
I have also bought 2 Right-Angled F Connector Adaptors.So I do not make the same mistake again.

On another note I have the Horizon v2.5 but is same spec as the birdog.
The lcd screen went faulty and was told it would be better to buy a new meter than have it repaired.
I looked on the net and found the manufacturer and the Part number of the lcd screen info was in a .pdf file.
I managed to purchase one and refit a new screen and it now works again.
manufacturer Everbouquet Part Number MC1604C - SYL
My advice is always double check the dimensions and info of the replacement screen as the screen that was used in my v2.5 meter may be different to yours.

caketin

Another Solution

Here is another solution, it is a male F connector with a female RCA connector to go on the birdog and a female F connector with a male RCA connector that goes on the cable. Then you just push and pull the cable connection on and off. See photo. If you would like the pair of connector PM me with your name and address I will mail it out to you.
regards
MikeLib

Attachments

• DSCF5349.JPG
    DSCF5349.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 180
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Will an Acutrac III + work for Globecast ? ?

Celtic Woman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)