Blockbuster Online - anyone have it?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Does anyone here have the Blockbuster Online deal? I was looking it over and it seems to be a pretty good deal. We don't rent a lot of movies, so the low end $3.99 deal seems to be a good value, especially if it includes BD titles for the price.

The way I read it, for $3.99/mo you get 1 title at a time with 2 mail-in exchanges per month. You also get in-store exchanges for $1.99 each. What I am not clear on is can you get unlimited in-store exchanges for $1.99 each or are you still limited to 2 exchanges per month total, then full in-store price thereafter?

$3.99 for two mail-in movies per month would be a pretty good deal for us. If we could get them in-store for $1.99 each, including all BD titles, that would be outstanding! We may never buy another DVD or BD.

I asked a guy at my local Blockbuster store about it. He confirmed that the deal is for 2 mail in movies per month, and unlimited in-store rentals for $1.99 each. Even if I only use the two movies per month it has already saved me money. I wonder how often they let you switch between plans? I am going on vacation later this month (unfortunately doing work around the house) and that total access premium with unlimited free in-store exchanges might be great for the free 2 week trial period.

Oh, and the guy at the store said that BD titles are included in the deal. They cost extra as a regular rental, but with the Blockbuster Online membership there is no extra charge. THAT is worth it for me right there! Stargate Continuum is coming out while I am on vacation, so I know I will at least rent ONE BD!

Not bad. I watch 2-3 per week and every time ive given BB a chance, they hit me with slow returns. As a moderate renter, I like Netflix.
Ive heard the same that blockbuster is much slower than netflix at returns. Im sticking to netflix

Ive heard the same that blockbuster is much slower than netflix at returns. Im sticking to netflix

I can confirm. I switched to Blockbuster a few months ago after being with Netflix for over 5 years. At the time, all the BDs I wanted that were on long wait at Netflix were sitting right there on BB's shelves, so I went with Total Access for in-store exchange privileges. Well, the following month, the store shortened their due date time, causing me an extra trip each week just to return a movie on time, so I dropped Total Access and just did online, which was still getting me movies at the top of my queue. However, in the past month or two, that has come to a screaching halt as lately they are digging down to #6 or #7 on my list.

Long story short: Next week I'm switching back to Netflix, as my GF who has it, has no problems getting new releases at the top of her queue, even BDs.

I can confirm. I switched to Blockbuster a few months ago after being with Netflix for over 5 years. At the time, all the BDs I wanted that were on long wait at Netflix were sitting right there on BB's shelves, so I went with Total Access for in-store exchange privileges. Well, the following month, the store shortened their due date time, causing me an extra trip each week just to return a movie on time, so I dropped Total Access and just did online, which was still getting me movies at the top of my queue. However, in the past month or two, that has come to a screaching halt as lately they are digging down to #6 or #7 on my list.

Long story short: Next week I'm switching back to Netflix, as my GF who has it, has no problems getting new releases at the top of her queue, even BDs.
Yeah, ive had no problems as of late with getting new releases through netflix. Although that was not the case until about 5 months ago. Netflix must have uped their blu-ray inventory.

My experience was the exact opposite. Netflix was horrible. If I mailed a movie to Netflix on a Monday they wouldn't acknowledge receipt until Wednesday. I know they received it the next day.

Blockbuster sends me a new movie on Tuesday after I mail one on Monday. Blockbuster is also $1/mo. cheaper than Netflix.

The way I read it, for $3.99/mo you get 1 title at a time with 2 mail-in exchanges per month. You also get in-store exchanges for $1.99 each. What I am not clear on is can you get unlimited in-store exchanges for $1.99 each or are you still limited to 2 exchanges per month total, then full in-store price thereafter?

I don't see this deal on their website (the part about the $1.99 in-store exchanges). Did you see this offer online or in the store?

I have the Total Access Limited plan. For $9.99 you get two titles by mail, which you can then exchange in the store for two free in-store titles. That's 4 per month. The deal you quoted would be $1 less if you did two in-store exchanges for $1.99.

My experience with availability and turnaround time has been pretty good. If you return the mailed title to the store they immediately check it in and you are credited for the return. Your new movie usually ships the next day.

If I put a new release in my queue before it is released, it usually ships on the release date. If I put it on after the release date there may be a wait.

I'm happy with BB but I have been intrigued by Netflix now that they have downloads available. Was thinking about doing a free trial. Does anyone have experience with the downloaded titles? How is the quality?

I went back to blockbuster after being with netflix for 6 months, I have had nothing but problems with netflix ,movies at the top of my Q , 1-4 always say available and they dont send me any of them, its always something I'm not in a hurry to see that they send me . I have gotten a few movies that are damage and I report them and they wont send another one out until I return that one. I have been on the phone with them many times . Yes they are quicker at shipping than BB, but I get whats at the top of my Q from BB and theres a store on my way home if I choice to stop in.

So is Blockbuster having issues this week, or is it just me? I mailed back a movie Monday, they got it Tuesday. And they still have not shipped me anything else yet. I'm on the 3-out plan, and it only shows me with 2-out.

I have them for my Blu-ray needs and its working out just fine. I am in the BLOCKBUSTER Total Access (3 at-a-time, Unlimited mailings w/ 5 in-store movie exchanges/month) and they promo'd via PayPal for a $25 credit.

So is Blockbuster having issues this week, or is it just me? I mailed back a movie Monday, they got it Tuesday. And they still have not shipped me anything else yet. I'm on the 3-out plan, and it only shows me with 2-out.

That's one of the reasons I switched back to Netflix. BB would often hold off on sending my next movie for a day or so... I assume until something near the top of my queue became available.

That's one of the reasons I switched back to Netflix. BB would often hold off on sending my next movie for a day or so... I assume until something near the top of my queue became available.
OK, I guess I'll just have to get used to it. :) I've been with Netflix for a while, but had a chance to try Blockbuster again. I guess now I remember why I ended up choosing Netflix in the first place.

I actually just moved back to BB. In my jumping around over the last couple of years, Ive noticed a few things:

*) BB does tend to sit on returns a day or so more than Netflix, but Ive never had shipping centers in the same spot like I do here now (both in Richmond).

I watch movies mainly on the weekends and ship on Monday, so there is no real issue with me and BB's day delay in getting moves by the next weekend(Richmond is only 1 day via USPS from here)

*) They BOTH suck after you have been a sub for awhile and new release BR's are Long/Short wait.(especially if they are 1-3 weeks old)

*) Being they are very similiar, and BB's site and selection gets better, I like the total access.

My local BB has a decent BR selection, so if I have a long wait on the site, I can atleast go into the store and grab it.

I find it funny that Netflix claimed they would stock up on BR's, they then added an extra fee while not doing any better on availability.

Seems like they'd increase their selection then screw us with fees.

For someone like me, whos not as worried about price as I am watching the movie when Im ready, Im watching this new 1080p download service by D* closely.

Id gladly download every movie in 1080p I dont decide to buy on BR.

Well, I emailed them about it, and here is their response:

"We have encountered an error in our system which has caused the delay. Please don't worry as this issue has already been reported and we are currently working on sending your next movies by the end of the next business day. It shows that some of the movies listed on top of your queue are not available which causes delay in the shipment of your next movie. We recommend to move the unavailable titles lower down your queue and to prioritize the other available titles."

Looks like the top 4 or so in my queue were all very long wait, so the computer system decided to not ship me any movies and wait for one of them to come available or something. I'll have to shift my queue around to have some available titles towards the top. Something I didn't have to do with Netflix.

-John

I like BB much better. I can exchange the movies for more BD's (2 day rental though) and when they scan the online movies in, BB sends out the next day. BB does have a problem with new releases, but I can always get them at the store. 2 days is plenty of time to watch to me, plus I'm getting more in the mail in 1 day. Netflix needs to charge the heavy users more than the light. I don't know why we are getting the same increase. I still have netflix, but am thinking of putting it on hold. Not because I don't like them, but I always forget to update my queue and end up getting 2 copies of the same movie.

I prefer BB Movie Pass. 2 out at a time, no limit on returns. Cost me $30 a month, so I need to take out 6 movies before I break even. Arrive eartly on Tuesdays and get the new release on BD every week. Why wait 4 months to get them from Netflix?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts