Bluray Titles LONG WAIT and NOT AVAILABLE in Store ???

hammerdown

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Northern California
Before Dish took over BB I had real good service. Now I'm seeing so many more people coming into the stores doing exchanges. This is great news for Dish/BB, but now all the movies I want are always checked out. Too much demand, not enough stock. And to make things worse, I've got 10 titles in my queu right now that are Long Wait and some of them are not even available for rent (Bluray) at any of my local stores:

"Don't be afraid of the dark" Guillermo del Toro & Katie Holmes
"Contagion" Matt Damon & Jude Law
"Midnight in paris" Owen Wilson & Rachel MCaddams

These are major titles and the stores are not even carrying them on Bluray??? And they don't stock enough of them for shipment either.... Seems like they are trying to force us to $$ VOD them to squeeze even more money out of us...

Before Dish took over BB I had real good service. Now I'm seeing so many more people coming into the stores doing exchanges. This is great news for Dish/BB, but now all the movies I want are always checked out. Too much demand, not enough stock. And to make things worse, I've got 10 titles in my queu right now that are Long Wait and some of them are not even available for rent (Bluray) at any of my local stores:

"Don't be afraid of the dark" Guillermo del Toro & Katie Holmes
"Contagion" Matt Damon & Jude Law
"Midnight in paris" Owen Wilson & Rachel MCaddams

These are major titles and the stores are not even carrying them on Bluray??? And they don't stock enough of them for shipment either.... Seems like they are trying to force us to $$ VOD them to squeeze even more money out of us...

Contagion is a Warner title and might be affected by the new 56 day delay before being available to rent.

I also noticed that "Midnight in Paris" was not available in Blu-ray at my local Blockbuster store. Someone at Blockbuster is deciding which movies are "worthy" for stocking in Blu-ray as well as DVD and Woody Allen's film was rejected, for some reason.

I have 24 blu-ray items in queue and 14 are long wait, unavailable, etc. There's a Blockbuster nearby and I can often find them there and exchange, but wonder why this is. Sometimes I get a blu-ray from the Redbox right outside the Blockbuster for $1.60; oftentimes the movies are available there but not in Blockbuster or the queue. This may be just growing pains, but I hope more blu-rays come available over time. I think a lot of blu-ray players were sold over Christmas. I'm a fan of Chinese films, like Wong Kar Wai, etc., but I notice that foreign films aren't commonly blu-ray. I'm pretty spoiled on the quality, especially the arty films. Mostly I've been catching up on films I've missed over the years. Thanks Dish for all this.... I hope it continues to get better.

I wish everything was available on Bluray. However, my BR player does such a good job with output that it seems DVDs are near Bluray quality anyway. If there's a movie I really want to watch, I'll take the DVD. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of it that much. I feel confident that BB has experienced the growing pains of a rapidly expanding subscriber base plus more people adopting the Bluray technology as well.

I wish everything was available on Bluray. However, my BR player does such a good job with output that it seems DVDs are near Bluray quality anyway. If there's a movie I really want to watch, I'll take the DVD. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of it that much. I feel confident that BB has experienced the growing pains of a rapidly expanding subscriber base plus more people adopting the Bluray technology as well.
I have DVD in my queue and the new movies are not "now" but wait ??

I have DVD in my queue and the new movies are not "now" but wait ??

Yes, on popular new titles you'll see that. As a long-time Netflix subscriber I can say I saw that with them as well at times. BB has the additional challenge of all the new influx of customers. I think they'll get it fine-tuned as good as they can (at least I sure hope so).

As I always say, if I haven't seen a movie it IS is "new release" for me even if it was made many years ago. I may have a preference as to the order I watch movies in my queue, but if it is in my queue no matter how far down that means I do want to watch it so I won't complain if I don't a specific one right away. Plus, I've had great luck with new release (including Bluray) for my in-store exchanges. I've pretty much gotten anything I've wanted anytime I've gone in for an exchange.

I've had Paranormal Activity 3 & Real Steel Blurays in my queue for a while, always said availability 1/24. I returned my store disc Monday and it cleared my queue quickly. Just checked this morning and both movies are now "Unavailable". Not wait, long wait, very long wait..... Unavailable!

Checked my two local stores and neither are carrying these blurays (says 20+ dvd copies)... Is this for real?

I've had Paranormal Activity 3 & Real Steel Blurays in my queue for a while, always said availability 1/24. I returned my store disc Monday and it cleared my queue quickly. Just checked this morning and both movies are now "Unavailable". Not wait, long wait, very long wait..... Unavailable!

Checked my two local stores and neither are carrying these blurays (says 20+ dvd copies)... Is this for real?

Paranormal in my queue went from 1/24, to saying available now, which is unusual in and of itself. Got one going back today, so we'll see if it actually ships first.

This morning around 2am Paranormal Activity 3 in my queue said available now,( i had it waiting as releasing 1-24 in my queue) So I moved it up to my # 1 choice and I got an email that it shipped today.. I returned a disc to the store Mon morning so i knew they would mail me one today. i just happened to luck out.

Yep, Bluray only for me... I used to get 7-8 blurays a month, 1 by mail + 1 in store per week. Since Dish took over it's dropped to 3-4 a month, if that.

Been 9 business days and nothing has shipped. If it wasn't for the platinum channels, I would cancel this now worthless bluray disc service.

Suggestion: If they can't ship me a movie with 3 days, send me an email coupon that I can take to my local store to get a disc in my hands.

Been 9 business days and nothing has shipped. If it wasn't for the platinum channels, I would cancel this now worthless bluray disc service.

Suggestion: If they can't ship me a movie with 3 days, send me an email coupon that I can take to my local store to get a disc in my hands.

How many titles in your Queue? I have around 15 and have never failed to receive something once my previous disc is returned. Might not be the #1 selection, but usually something in the top 5 at least.

My biggest problem has been finding decent movies to put in the queue.

bb.jpg

I used to get 7-8 tuesday new release blurays a month, 1 by mail + 1 in store per week. Since Dish took over it's dropped to 3-4 a month, if that...

I left BBMP about two months ago because I was having the same problem with getting new videos and I was only asking for standard DVD's. I guess the Blockbuster service hasn't gotten any better so I'll be sticking with Netfix for awhile longer.

I do like the suggestion that if you have video in you queue that is on wait and you don't have anything checked, they send you a coupon to get it at a store. Better yet, give you the option to get the coupon or wait for the video to be mailed to. I had the same problem as 'hammerdown', I used to get 8-10 videos a month (only watch new releases) at BB before Dish took over, then it dropped to 4 or 5 (if I was lucky) because of the waits. If they allowed me to go a store to get a video on wait without dropping off a disc, I'd go back to BBMP in a heartbeat.

Since I've been with Netfix (I have the 2 at a time plan), I get 2 new releases a week, and if I watch then and mail them back the next day, I'll get the next title in my queue (if there is one) on a Friday. It would be nice if Blockbuster could get back to that type of service. Maybe someone from the DIRT team should make the suggestion. That would put the plan over the top.

To me there is a huge difference between upscalled DVDs and Blurays. The picture quality in 1080p is something that can't be matched by any DVD or HD channel. The uncompressed sound formats only available on Bluray are just as important as the picture to me.

There a some movies like "The Tree of Life" that I refuse to get on DVD. I have been waiting for that one for a couple months now. There are other movies like "Midnight in Paris" that I would prefer to see on Bluray but I rented it on DVD last week because it wasn't available. Neither of these movies are available on Bluray at my local store and that is crazy. The are both nominated for the Best Picture Oscar this year.

I have been a Blockbuster by Mail customer for over a year now and I agree that it has become almost impossible to get a new release Bluray by mail since the Dish partnership. That being said, I usually have good luck getting the new release Blurays I want as in store exchanges. I have recently started shifting DVDs and Blurays that aren't available at my local store to the top of my queue and getting everything else as exchanges.

And I thought it was just me!

Month of January, they sent me two disks. The second one was all scratched up it would not recognize there was even a disk in the player. I went on line to file a complaint and the website would not let me hit submit on the damage report page. Sucks! So, for my $10 + tax on my Dish bill I got one disk in on the 6th, watched it and sent it back before leaving for CES on the 7th. We'll see how February goes but if not much better, I'll be cancelling. I got an e-mail on Feb 6 the disk I returned (damaged) was credited and the next one in my queue would be sent out on Thursday.
Meanwhile I got 8 BluRay titles during January from Netflix. I spoke to the local BB store manager and he said he is hearing many complaints about the service so it isn't just me. He said one customer had a damaged disk and they sent the same one out to him three times in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts