Breaking News: Flash From Voom Website: VOOM ceasing Operation by end of March

TheTimm said:
No thanks. I'm familiar with their HD offerings, and there just isn't enough to make it worth the money to me. Should Voom indeed go the way of the dodo, I'll just have to live with OTA -- and I guess I'll start renting DVD's again, maybe go to a movie or two.

No problem, we all like different thing, you want movies, I can't wait for Major League Baseball on InHD, between the two channels 1 and 2, they are supposed to have over 120 games this summer, never seen baseball in 1080i HD ( Fox does not count, I thought it looked just bad in what looked like up-converted 720P ).

klen said:
What's with the voom ad at the top of this page??????

Voom saying "Don't get burned"????

What about those of us that bought our receivers?

Voom Customer Agreement 1c.

"We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, re-arrange, add or delete the Voom services, including but not limited to our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our rates, and any other service we offer at any time."

Hi;

Outside plug for a good forum.

This event is compelling and entertaining enough for me to appreciate the SatGuys efforts. A few bucks donation is nothing compared to some of the content subscription rates quoted here.

I'm half complete on my VOOM install. Just need the antenna and a third box to replace a dud box. The finish is scheduled 7 Mar. Who knows tho? Will hear it here first.

Rivited by RAVE.
daveoo

This has been debated before, and I will start a seperate thread. Box owners DO have rights, and I'm not giving this up.

madpoet said:
This has been debated before, and I will start a seperate thread. Box owners DO have rights, and I'm not giving this up.

You spend a lot more on lawyers and time vs. Cablevision lawyers they already have on retainers, and maybe not enough people who bought to make it worth class action, sorry.

madpoet said:

You can always get $40 for your STB on ebay. :D That is if you list it today. :eek:

Feel sorry for

I really feel bad for these poor CSR's. I am sure they are getting hammered right now. I just got home from work and the last time I was able to check the forums was 3:00. I just checked about 10 minutes ago and saw that voom shutdown and was like wow. So I called voom since I am not a full customer since I won't be installed till the 11th. I called and was told that they are still hoping to split off and continue running. I have to say we really need to say an extra prayer for these guys sticking it out. I know I would have a hard time getting phone calls in when nobody has told you a thing. And than wondering why do I have to put up with garbage from people when I may not even have a job. What a roller coaster. I sat and waited since december debating on joining voom. Just was afraid of getting and than loosing it. OH well stuff happens and sometimes the wrong people get control of companies. Done rambling

Here is the real story

I guess things are moving pretty fast, so let me give you all some relief.

Consider this, CV is a publicly traded company, and most of the rest of CV wants to get rid of Voom. Chuck wants to keep it going. Chuck can't just say "hey, ya know this big expensive asset sitting over here called voom. You guys don't really want it, I'll just take it, privatize it and if it takes off I'll keep all the profit."

The FTC the SEC, and a bunch of other 3 letter departments would have a hissy fit.

Since the Dolans can't just take it away from CV, they start a fight, James and Dad get really hot, They through out the father, the Board is cheering for James. So CV lightens the load a little (sells off a few fixed assets, Satellite and Uplink), not much left, Chuck makes an offer to buy what is left. The Son (Representing the Stockholders;) says make us a bid, the board looks at tbid and says, pretty fair, 400 Mill for some old programming and airtime, they drop the cost of shut down, and CV goes back to Cable and everything else in NY.

But the firebrand James gets a burr under his saddle and just flips Dad the bird. Now everyone is surprised, Even the board, they're wonder what the hell jimmy is doing. Even the cost to pay the operations manager salary to shut it down is more than they would have had to pay if they sold to the Dolans.

James is not being reasonable, he's been under his Dad's thumb for too long and now he's feeling his oats. So he just keeps flippin the bird. Trash talkin, no negotiatin, sgrew you and all your dreams James is out of his mind. They thought they had a recovery of some costs if they sold to Dolan, but now that Jimmy is crashin the website, issuing press releases, their sales is falling apart. Much more and not even Crazy Charlie would buy voom.

The board calls an emergency meeting, they thought Chuck was crazy, Jimmy is bloomin lunatic, they act fast, in a behind closed doors negotiation, they ink a deal with Chuck for what ever they can get quick, maybe 300m or ever 250m just make the pain stop.

The CV board Also relieves Jimmy of his position as CEO.

Everyone is buddy buddy at CV, the board knows that Chuck still has the majority of the shares and they make real nice. Chuck installs another son into the CEO position.

Well, lets recap, The Stockholders are gleeful they got out of the blood bath. The SEC feels everything was completely justifiable in the sale. Chuck saves Voom.

In a private ceremony in a small privately held LLC champagne is poured as James is quietly inserted as CEO of the company that got Voom at a bargain basement price of $250m with the CV carrying back most of it on a low or no interest note for the next 10 years.

Has anyone considered that it is Voom that is not accepting new customers and not VOOM HD LLC? Could be putting a stop to the assesed value of the asset collum that Chuck has to purchase. Read between the lines and this makes sense.

vurbano said:
WHo is going to start the James Dolan sucks website?

Just find a Knicks fan, they have properly started a few.

Indy said:
Has anyone considered that it is Voom that is not accepting new customers and not VOOM HD LLC? Could be putting a stop to the assesed value of the asset collum that Chuck has to purchase. Read between the lines and this makes sense.

Your reaching really long dude.

bruce said:
You spend a lot more on lawyers and time vs. Cablevision lawyers they already have on retainers, and maybe not enough people who bought to make it worth class action, sorry.

Eh, I bet I could get class action status if I tried hard. And if they jerk my chain enough on this, I will try REALLY hard.

madpoet said:
Eh, I bet I could get class action status if I tried hard. And if they jerk my chain enough on this, I will try REALLY hard.

what was your reciever cost? and what perks did you recieve? free months of programming etc?

madpoet said:

And, madpoet, did not not give you the option of returning it to go to the lease system, I think I read that Sean did that.

Sure they did... what, 10 months ago? When they were going strong? That doesn't negate their obligation. They didn't say "you have to exchange your box or you're screwed." They also continued to sell systems as well as lease them. You could, and probably still can, walk in and purchase a Voom receiver certificate. So it's not like they went all lease. In point of fact they told us as box owners we would get future upgraded receivers for free for the length of our warranty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)