Breaking News: Flash From Voom Website: VOOM ceasing Operation by end of March

voomllc.com is just a static banner.

voom.com IS back... with the full content!

Paul

VOOMllc is online and working exactly like the original including accessing the account pages. I could access my account and even the password and username for "myvoom" was recognized. Both sites seem to be fully working.

Hey Sean and/or Scott...is there a prize for the thread starter of the most viewed page on SatGuys???

Just kidding...I'm really happy the Voom website is back and alive...!!!
Let's not take our seat belts off just yet...this ride hasn't ended yet!!!

justalurker said:
Have you been there in the last 10-15 minutes?
Are you going to apologize?

JL

bah..now it works. Ok fine...I apologize and will now go commit hara kiri. I hope you're happy.

down again...well, not exactly down, but telling people to go away. I take my apology back and am putting down the knife!!!

SMG said:
i dont see it working, voom.com or voomllc.com

Me either. Cleared my cache just to be sure. voom.com shows the same message, and voomllc.com is just an ad, no links anywhere...

I did notice that voomllc.com has the tag line, "VOOM still delivers"...(they just don't take orders)
hee hee hee...
Let's hope they can pull this one off. I would REALLY miss my HD content. They will never offer cable where I live (Sacramento foothills) so I would have to go back to DirecTV...SIGH

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed but:

The Voom menu is announcing, "Technical upgrades completed. Voom has been adding capaciy."

So far I have not discovered any new channels in the lineup.

right58 said:
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=vo...u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_5

this it a link to what cvc said 1 hr ago I hope it works not hijacked

It ain't over till it's over! from Yahoo post: " Despite the apparently definitive [3/1/05] decision from Cablevision to shut down the Voom service, Tom and Charles Dolan released a separate statement through an entity they control saying they were still interested in completing the acquisition of Voom's assets and funding the venture on their own.

The announcement signaled that the family feud surrounding the Voom venture had not yet been settled, which could fuel more speculation that the elder Dolan might sell some of his holdings of Cablevision stock in order finance Voom. "

From Newday, 3/2/05

The dueling Dolans: Feud over Voom reveals fractious family relations, clouds Cablevision’s future

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

March 2, 2005

An intense feud among members of the Dolan family continues to rage following the decision by Cablevision's board of directors to shut the failed Voom satellite TV service.

Members of the family that controls Cablevision Systems Corp. issued dueling press releases and conflicting memos to Voom employees after the board, backed by chief executive James Dolan, acted Monday to pull the plug over chairman Charles Dolan's objections.

Cablevision's stock price fell 2.2 percent yesterday as Wall Street tried to unravel the corporate soap opera and figure out what the family developments might mean for Cablevision, including whether it has become less or more likely that its cable systems or cable TV channels will be sold.

Charles Dolan and his son Thomas, Voom's chief executive, insisted in their joint memo that financing for them to take Voom off Cablevision's hands was "in place" and "members of the Dolan family" remain "committed to this bright and promising business" as Voom goes through a "period of uncertainty."

But yesterday Cablevision surprised those Dolans by posting a notice on Voom's Web site that replaced all other content: "Voom has ceased taking new customer orders and will shut down by the end of March."

CEO James Dolan - who referred to his father, Charles, and brother Thomas as "certain Class B shareholders" in his memo to Voom employees - indicated that Cablevision chief operating officer Tom Rutledge would lead the transition team to manage the shutdown.

"Are Dolan family dinners a thing of the past?" Fulcrum Global Partners analyst Richard Greenfield asked in a note to investors. "Regardless of the fate of Voom, we wonder whether irreparable harm has been done to Dolan family business relations. With Jim Dolan and the board overruling Jim's father and brother, we believe the potential for a sale of Cablevision is becoming ever more probable."

Some analysts, however, said that likelihood actually had decreased, because Charles Dolan no longer needs to sell Cablevision or a big chunk of his stake in it to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to finance the money-losing Voom.

"The disagreement highlights fractious relations among the Dolans, which may ultimately affect [Cablevision's] strategic direction," UBS analyst Aryeh Bourkoff told investors. The stock price, which had been rising partly because Cablevision was unloading Voom, dropped by 69 cents per share to $30.37 yesterday.

Charles and Thomas Dolan apparently had been buoyed by a rise in subscribers for Voom, which was offering installation in up to three rooms for $1.

Voom subscribers have increased to 46,262, including 5,622 who have been awaiting installation, compared with about 26,000 on Sept. 30, 2004, according to a source familiar with the numbers. That's still far short of the more than 10 million satellite customers DirecTV and EchoStar Communications each have. And Voom had an operating loss of $660 million for 2004.

Voom insiders said that as much as Charles Dolan wants to carry out his vision, he also has been intent on giving Thomas a moment in the spotlight as he has given James, the much more combative and aggressive younger brother.

"Everyone feels Chuck Dolan is doing this for Tom," one insider said.

But Thomas, a shy executive who majored in geology in college and headed computer technology systems at Cablevision, has had trouble stepping into a leadership role at Voom, especially one that could involve challenging his father, the insiders said.

One remaining mystery is which side Charles' son Patrick, who runs News 12 and is a board member, has taken in the feud, and which other family members were prepared to back Charles and Thomas. Cablevision is not telling, and neither are the Dolans.

"We are more than ever convinced of the viability of the Voom service," Thomas said in the release issued by him and his father. "If we are able to complete negotiations with Cablevision, we are certain that Voom HD will emerge as a robust new vendor providing a valuable alternative to the two services that now dominate the satellite industry."

The Voom story so far

October 2003: Cablevision launches Voom satellite TV service; plans to split it off as part of separate company.

May 2004: Problems emerge in attracting customers as Voom losses mount.

November 2004: Voom reveals it lost more customers than it attracted in the summer amid operational and marketing problems.

December 2004: Board, backed by CEO James Dolan, abandons spin-off and defies chairman Charles Dolan by deciding to sell or shut Voom.

January 2005: Cablevision agrees to sell Voom's sole satellite to EchoStar Communications for $200 million.

Feb. 10: Cablevision signs letter of intent to give rest of Voom to chairman Charles and Thomas Dolan if they arrange financing.

Feb. 28: Cablevision says it has no definitive agreement with the Dolans and will shut Voom. Dolans say they have financing, want a deal.

- Harry Berkowitz

Copyright © 2005, Newsday, Inc.

Does any else see much significance in the parts I've bolded? I just think it interesting how it started falling so much so soon after they decided to try to kill VoOM. Their stock continued to fall today. I suspect that James and his pals at CVC will end up being out of a job, no matter who ultimately wins the current struggle in the boardroom! :) Vicki

Exerpted from story 3/1/02: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_5 that right58 originally posted...
"Cablevision shares fell 48 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $30.58 in afternoon trading Tuesday on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites). The shares have risen steadily over the past seven months, nearly doubling from their 52-week low of $16.13 reached last August, on expectations that the company would get rid of Voom and possibly be put up for sale. Its underlying cable TV business has also been growing strongly thanks to rapid growth of premium services like high-speed data and voice-over-Internet phone offerings."

nystrand said:
From Newday, 3/2/05

The dueling Dolans: Feud over Voom reveals fractious family relations, clouds Cablevision’s future

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

March 2, 2005

(snip)Cablevision's stock price fell 2.2 percent yesterday as Wall Street tried to unravel the corporate soap opera and figure out what the family developments might mean for Cablevision, including whether it has become less or more likely that its cable systems or cable TV channels will be sold.

Charles Dolan and his son Thomas, Voom's chief executive, insisted in their joint memo that financing for them to take Voom off Cablevision's hands was "in place" and "members of the Dolan family" remain "committed to this bright and promising business" as Voom goes through a "period of uncertainty."

But yesterday Cablevision surprised those Dolans by posting a notice on Voom's Web site that replaced all other content: "Voom has ceased taking new customer orders and will shut down by the end of March."

CEO James Dolan - who referred to his father, Charles, and brother Thomas as "certain Class B shareholders" in his memo to Voom employees - indicated that Cablevision chief operating officer Tom Rutledge would lead the transition team to manage the shutdown.

"Are Dolan family dinners a thing of the past?" Fulcrum Global Partners analyst Richard Greenfield asked in a note to investors. "Regardless of the fate of Voom, we wonder whether irreparable harm has been done to Dolan family business relations. With Jim Dolan and the board overruling Jim's father and brother, we believe the potential for a sale of Cablevision is becoming ever more probable."

Some analysts, however, said that likelihood actually had decreased, because Charles Dolan no longer needs to sell Cablevision or a big chunk of his stake in it to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to finance the money-losing Voom.(snip)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts