Breaking News: Flash From Voom Website: VOOM ceasing Operation by end of March

Voom Is Fine

If you call them directly they will still take your order and activate, I am a south Florida dealer and today is buiness as usuall...

all csrs do, is read the screen in front of them, its like that with all csrs in all types of companies

Fat Lady is singing!!

Dam - I liked the Edsel, Studebaker Golden Hawk, owned a Desoto & Olds Regency and now this. Just don't make sense - 8 tracks replaced by CD's - VCR tapes and Laser discs replaced by DVD's & analog being replaced by digital signal but what is going to replace VOOM in HD content? Things are supposed to improve but this is a step backwards. AM was replaced by FM and now sat radio. Dish will not pick up the slack and DTV could care less about HD. Will cheer up and are the round black & white sets coming back. Looks like owning a HD set is really like a one night fling.

Jthompson said:
If you call them directly they will still take your order and activate, I am a south Florida dealer and today is buiness as usuall...

If you are an installer they will "Take your call and activate."
I have no idea who you are but get your info right. Obvously you have no knowledge of Voom. I believe you went around posting 5 posts so you could post a URL to your site in another thread you started.

Edit, I appologize, you are a dealer!

Ambulance chasers everywhere you look in a calamity.

"Shouldn't they be contacting us to get back the rented boxes?"

What's the value of a used VOOM satellite box? Say maybe $100, $200?

The way I see it if Voom does end up shutdown those boxes are never going to be picked up or even asked about. They are going to be about as good as a Primestar box! CVC just wants to wash their hands of Voom, It would cost more to retrieve them and take more time than (IMHO) Tom wants to spend even thinking about Voom.
Probably the best thing we could do when we know the end is near is disconnect the dish feed so we don't lose are locals.

Sat Junkie said:
"Shouldn't they be contacting us to get back the rented boxes?"

What's the value of a used VOOM satellite box? Say maybe $100, $200?

The way I see it if Voom does end up shutdown those boxes are never going to be picked up or even asked about. They are going to be about as good as a Primestar box! CVC just wants to wash their hands of Voom, It would cost more to retrieve them and take more time than (IMHO) Tom wants to spend even thinking about Voom.
Probably the best thing we could do when we know the end is near is disconnect the dish feed so we don't lose are locals.

$30 to $40 each on ebay. Don't panic sell yet. Voom is not going anywhere soon.

I'm not going anywhere :)

I think that there IS something in the works...I think there WILL be layoffs...I think Dolan Sr. will end up with something.

And if none of that happens, then I think we all have "free" OTA HD tuners as souvineers :)
I highly doubt that they would send a kill signal to the boxes...why bother? ...but I'm glad I have the 3-room install, so 2 of my boxes are disconnected as we rarely use them :)

Old Arab Proverb: Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel ;)

Lob

Just found out about the shutdown myself through there website. Then I saw this article on yahoo that explanes some things. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_5
I just got off the phone with Voom custumer service asking why I have not been informed of this issue. There reply is that there are no plans on stopping broadcasting to there curent custumersafter the end of march thou no new online orders are being excepted and that custumer service will still be available at the same 1-800-GET-VOOM phone number. He said that custumers will be receiving a letter from Voom as soon as the details are ironed out about the company changes. It is possable that the information that they gave me is just a smoke screen to keep custumers at rest before they pull the plug. Who knows???
I also asked why there is no access to there web site (channel guide ex.). They said the system is being updated and try it later in the day. Sounds fishy. We'll see.

williamknitter said:
Just found out about the shutdown myself through there website. Then I saw this article on yahoo that explanes some things. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_bi_ge/cablevision_voom_5
I just got off the phone with Voom custumer service asking why I have not been informed of this issue. There reply is that there are no plans on stopping broadcasting to there curent custumersafter the end of march thou no new online orders are being excepted and that custumer service will still be available at the same 1-800-GET-VOOM phone number. He said that custumers will be receiving a letter from Voom as soon as the details are ironed out about the company changes. It is possable that the information that they gave me is just a smoke screen to keep custumers at rest before they pull the plug. Who knows???
I also asked why there is no access to there web site (channel guide ex.). They said the system is being updated and try it later in the day. Sounds fishy. We'll see.

It is like all the other BS this company has been putting out.. They need to send an email to all us Subs ASAP from old man Dolan I am already looking for some one else to provide me with services I am not going to have my HDtv sitting around with no HD programing on it... VOOM has to Friday to come out and lets us SUBS know what is going on.. I am not paying my bill this month of March either...

"VOOM has to Friday to come out and lets us SUBS know what is going "

Or what? LOL You'll quit?
Damn...THAT's gonna make 'em think twice!

And send an email? What about the people that don't HAVE email listed with VOOM?

This is all still part of the "negotiation" dance.

Dolan Jr: Pay up...you've missed your dealine.
Dolan Sr: We're working on it...
Dolan Jr: Hey...you need to get off your @ss and pay us for the remaining assetts or we'll shut it down and you won't have anything left to buy.
Dolan Sr: No you won't...we'll pay you when we feel like it...
Dolan Jr: Watch this.
Dolan Sr: Ok...Ok...we'll get the check to you now...

Lob :)

I will order comstat, thats what

Lobstah said:
"VOOM has to Friday to come out and lets us SUBS know what is going "

Or what? LOL You'll quit?
Damn...THAT's gonna make 'em think twice!

And send an email? What about the people that don't HAVE email listed with VOOM?

This is all still part of the "negotiation" dance.

Dolan Jr: Pay up...you've missed your dealine.
Dolan Sr: We're working on it...
Dolan Jr: Hey...you need to get off your @ss and pay us for the remaining assetts or we'll shut it down and you won't have anything left to buy.
Dolan Sr: No you won't...we'll pay you when we feel like it...
Dolan Jr: Watch this.
Dolan Sr: Ok...Ok...we'll get the check to you now...

Lob :)

and if they do come back, screw um they will have LOST my business

no way to treat customers or for that matter employees

Look...the point here is that if you weren't reading this forum, you'd be sitting around, watching VOOM, and you'd be happy about it.
VOOM has done nothing (so far) to change or alter the service that you and everyone else is paying for, with the possible exception of not being able to access your account online.

So you're on a tear here about things you're reading on this forum, most of which is pure conjecture and totally devoid of fact. Granted, the few things that ARE factual are troubling, but the cure for that is simple...STOP READING THE FORUM.

They haven't changed the way they're treating you...so no harm, no foul.

If they go dark tonight, with no warning, THEN they've fouled.

Lob

Dog6869 said:
It is like all the other BS this company has been putting out.. They need to send an email to all us Subs ASAP from old man Dolan I am already looking for some one else to provide me with services I am not going to have my HDtv sitting around with no HD programing on it... VOOM has to Friday to come out and lets us SUBS know what is going on.. I am not paying my bill this month of March either...

OK, this may be a little demanding, but he does have a point. Some time soon it would seem reasonable that Voom should inform its subscribers about what is going on. An email and/or letter would be fine. I have told many people about Voom, but now there is not one of them that would touch it with a 10 foot pole because of "they are going out of business", they are not going out of business, they are, they aren't" all in the course of a couple of months. Why would Voom want me to know what is going on? I am only one of their subcribers, one of the 46000 who took a chance on them. How many other AV enthusiasts who do not have Voom would be willing to give it a chance after this song and dance?

Even if somehow Charles Dolan manages to pull this together, I think it is only a stay of execution and not a reprieve. If Voom had any idea about how to do things right they would have done it 6 months ago. Voom needs thousands and thousands of new subscribers, but how many will sign up once they know about what has happened in the last 2 months?
How about the poor voomer who does not check the net or read its website? Won't that person be surprised to learn that the service could go out nearly anytime now?

elocs said:
Even if somehow Charles Dolan manages to pull this together, I think it is only a stay of execution and not a reprieve. If Voom had any idea about how to do things right they would have done it 6 months ago. Voom needs thousands and thousands of new subscribers, but how many will sign up once they know about what has happened in the last 2 months?

I agree that VOOM should send something to its customers. Of course they may already be doing so by US Mail so it will be a day or so before any of us sees anything.

Yes, the latest events will do damage to VOOM which makes it more difficult for Charles to salvage the operation is he is still intent on doing so. At the same time, only a small percentage of people follow these boards or even the new about CVC. If VOOM somehow survives, most potential new subs will have no idea what has transpired.

el_tufo said:
....I know get channel 342, which had been blocked previously.

342 Sunshine Sports is a part of the Voom and VaVaVoom package, you should have been getting this all along.
You should check out 261 and 262.

Lobstah said:
STOP READING THE FORUM.
Lob

This may be the best piece of advice I have read about this situation and I have taken it to some measure. I only read it and AVS once a day and I do not subscribe to the threads. There seems to be more smoke than fire and more speculation and conjecture than facts. Although it would be nice to know what is actually happening, I don't really need the day to day death watch. Initially, there were some threads this week that I could not read fast enough. I started at 4 pages and kept jumping ahead a couple of pages everytime I finished reading one.

My friend and I both subscribed yesterday and we both have recieved our confirmations with install date and time slot. We thought we had finally found the Holy Grail of HD programming, but we remain optimistic as we watch and read the story unfold. Neither of us are detered by the fact that VOOM may shut down and are hopeful that it does not, if it should happen just our dumb luck :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts