Breaking News: Flash From Voom Website: VOOM ceasing Operation by end of March

i doubt they will let you

FunkyBoss said:
Upgrading to VaVaVoom sounds like the best idea right now. Better get all those channels while you can!!!!

They are closing their operation

Confused, and sad...

This is a very sad day for HDTV'ers :no The one thing that I find so odd about all this is that customer service has no clue what is going on - I just got off the phone with them, nice as usual (going to miss that), to change my automatic billing to the paper bill - all they said about the web page was that the head office is looking into it and that they are working on getting it back up... I just find it very strange that the people employed to support their customers are kept in the dark, while their customers are told they are going out of business... :confused:

Just Spoke with CSR he said "We are not accepting new customers at this time, how ever we are not shutting down, I'm not sure why thats on the site but it is wrong. We are getting ready to setup the new satellite and are not accepting new customers untill the transition to the new satellite is complete"

Not sure if its true but hey its something

Voom said:
Just Spoke with CSR he said "We are not accepting new customers at this time, how ever we are not shutting down, I'm not sure why thats on the site but it is wrong. We are getting ready to setup the new satellite and are not accepting new customers untill the transition to the new satellite is complete"

Not sure if its true but hey its something

I'm not sure where this guys getting his info but I just called the san.., texas call center and as of 1:25cst this morning there still setting up new accounts.

But the lady did agree with me that at 8:00am this could all change as well, we just need to sit tight and keep an eye out.

Did a whois search on voom.com and it is definitly owned by cablevision and administered in Bethpage LINY. Sean Moto may be mistaken that the site was hacked but rather, I feel the site was simply shut down by the lawful owners. No proof but just my feeling.
Voom as an orphaned company subsidiary will need to scramble to a new domain and web site to continue to fight this as they seem to have no control over what is being administered on Voom's behalf by Cablevision. The website is an easy target. Stop paying the bills and giving termination notices to VOOM employees seems like a logical next step as they continue to destroy the operation. I wonder if VOOM employees get Cablevision paychecks?
The last thing Cablevision will do is affect the signal to the subscribers since we paid a month in advance.

Suggestion- If any of you have an automatic payment scheduled to have it withdrawn from your checking account by VOOM or Cablevision, best to switch that now to credit card, (NOT VISA CHECK CARD) or you risk having your checking account tapped and will have an extremely tough time getting refunded. At least with a real credit card you have protection under Federal law that you do not have when you allowed the VOOM or Cablevision to extract monthly payments.

Personally, I plan to keep VOOM as long as they send me signal. As soon as the signal goes black, I challenge the credit card payment for prorated non service. I suspect Cablevision won't do anything stupid like stealing an extra month's revenue from 46,000 subscribers but you never know.

Don please read the entire thread before posting next time,

Sean Mota said:
I just got home and there are 14 pages to read I have only read 6 since I left work. Got confirmation that the message is real, not hack. So there you go. Inside CVC/VOOM they are stunned as we are that a company like CVC will act this way.

IMO, the ceiling is falling unless there's something more which I have not heard yet. Will keep you posted if I hear something. BTW, CSRs are the last to know.

If this has been already posted, I am sorry.

Thanks

"Shouldn't they be contacting us to get back the rented boxes?"

What's the value of a used VOOM satellite box? Say maybe $100, $200?
What's it going to cost to have someone come to your house, pick up the boxes, pack them for shipment, ship them, receive them back at some facility, store them, unpack them, reload them?

And now that you've done all that...what's your next move?

I think the boxes will stay right where they're at. It will cost more money to recover them than they're actually worth.

Lob

hack

there is no way this is a hack, because it would have been fixed by now. its been 14 hours, not saying voom is done 100%. but this cant be a hack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just spoke to a csr and he stated that the rumors of the company's death have been greatly exaggerated! He stated that the company was sold to daddy Dolan and that it would fly by itself as opposed to under the Ca* umbrella.
He also stated that the transition will barely be noticed AND we will be getting NEW HD channels within the next 45 days. The only true unfortunate thing is that he stated there will be plenty of layoffs.

Lobstah said:
"Shouldn't they be contacting us to get back the rented boxes?"

What's the value of a used VOOM satellite box? Say maybe $100, $200?
What's it going to cost to have someone come to your house, pick up the boxes, pack them for shipment, ship them, receive them back at some facility, store them, unpack them, reload them?

And now that you've done all that...what's your next move?

I think the boxes will stay right where they're at. It will cost more money to recover them than they're actually worth.

Lob

This is true but at the moment it doesn't seem as if cv or james dolan really care about money at this point in the game. Otherwise I highly believe that things would have turned out differently Monday.

salsadancer7 said:
Just spoke to a csr and he stated that the rumors of the company's death have been greatly exaggerated! He stated that the company was sold to daddy Dolan and that it would fly by itself as opposed to under the Ca* umbrella.
He also stated that the transition will barely be noticed AND we will be getting NEW HD channels within the next 45 days. The only true unfortunate thing is that he stated there will be plenty of layoffs.

As much as I would LOVE TO BELIEVE this, until I see a press release or some sort of concreate proof, It's very doubtful.
Otherwise, this would not have been posted in my opinion:
Sean Mota said:
Scott that sounds very optimistic but I just received the following memo that was sent to all staff.

To: Rainbow HD Holdings LLC Employees

Date: March 1, 2005

Re: WARN Notice

As a result of the Board of Directors’ February 28, 2005 decision to close the direct broadcast satellite business, Rainbow HD Holdings LLC anticipates that it will cease operations at its facility located at 11 Penn Plaza, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10001 between March 4 and March 31, 2005. As a result, all of the employees employed by Rainbow DBS Company LLC at this location will be laid off permanently. Because of this, we are issuing this notice pursuant to any potential obligation under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (“WARN”). Under WARN, we are required to give you notice of our intent to layoff employees. These layoffs will result in your termination, and the permanent elimination of your position.

We anticipate that your last day of work will be between March 4 and March 31, 2005. You do not have bumping rights. Please return the attached acknowledgment form indicating you have received this notification to ******, Employee Relations Manager.

Well....maybe it's my wishful thinking, but no news is good news. Therefore I tend to believe that SOMETHING is up seeing that things seem AWFULLY quiet for something so big as closing down shop and keeping things hush-hush from you few customers. So until I hear differently, the glass is half full instead of half empty.

I too believe something’s still up and ongoing. Hard to think such a new ground breaking operation can fail. People rather stay with analog 4x3 tv than HD? Well, in 2006-2008 they wont have a choice any longer. Forces behind the scene, that we're not privileged to know of, are still hard at work.

"...yesterday Cablevision surprised those Dolans by posting a notice on Voom's Web site that replaced all other content: "Voom has ceased taking new customer orders and will shut down by the end of March."

CEO James Dolan - who referred to his father, Charles, and brother Thomas as "certain Class B shareholders" in his memo to Voom employees - indicated that Cablevision chief operating officer Tom Rutledge would lead the transition team to manage the shutdown."

from Newsday.com

Looks like this COO Tom Rutledge may be the real web hacker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts