Breaking News! New Voom Starting To Get Epg Info :)

cappy29 said:
Didn't see kung fu hd in that on screen listing why not?

Yeah, but if you scroll forward in the EPG, you'll see that GuyTV is all martial arts flims after Tuesday. There is no info for Sunday or Monday, and then...all Kung Fu, all the time. :D

Also, no info for Majestic for a couple of days, and then they go to a 3-4 movie a day schedule. Most of them look like they could fit on Film Fest, some are questionable ("Let It Ride"?), but that's typical for themed movie channels.

So, to answer my own question from a few pages ago (or maybe it was a different thread), it looks like GuyTV and Majestic will be going away to make room for Kung Fu and Film Fest full time. I'm happy about that, because those were poorly defined channels IMO.

BUT, unless "Film Fest" winds up being a general purpose "anything that doesn't fit elsewhere" channel instead of an "art house" channel, I still see some programming holes. For example, I know those Matt Helm movies have seen more than enough airtime, but if someone actually wanted to see them again, what channel would they be on?

I still think this 15 channel Voom is just a temporary thing until they can get MPEG4 ramped up. Voom made a big deal about their carriage deals for "all 21 channels" with other cable companies. And although 2 channels came back that appeared to be gone (Family Room & Film Fest), it looks like 2 existing channels are going away.

Final clue...all the Lab programming disappears from Rave later this week. Why would they do that unless they still planned on a full-time Lab channel? (Well, there's the fact that it's overplayed, but that's not stopping them anywhere else!)

I predict it will turn out we held a funeral for "Lab", "Sizzle", "Torque", "Coda", "Renew", and "Cosmic" too soon. I bet they're all on by Fall '06. Even if the 5 new channels turn out to be in MPEG4, it won't cause as much of a stampede for new receivers as 11 new channels. I think they're trying to ease into it.

And now, despite this thread supposedly being about the PROGRAMMING guide, please ignore this programming comment and go back to arguing about resolution.

I say we dump "gameplay" and replace it with "sizzle" now! :devil:

(just kidding gamers...I know y'all want your own HD channel! :p )

Not that it really matters...I probably wont keep the Voom pack much longer anyways. I almost never flip thru the channels lately as it is.

Last edited:
jerryez said:
I will not pay for 1280 x1080 channels. When they add the additional Voom channel, if they are not at full rez, I am dropping Voom.
You really think you are going to have the choice when these are added to the HD Package as justification for the rate hike?

Last edited:
Gaming is far from a "niche" market.

But watching other people play them....is.

I work for a video game company and I find people watching other people play video games to be a little weird.

when mpeg 4 starts wonder what dish will do with the people that have the 811 and will it cost more money to get the m peg 4 equip...

Here is the guide as of this morning. :)

BTW the VOOM channels are on both 129 and 61.5 as is ESPN2 HD which also has HD info (and a LOT of HD games today!

Attachments

• stats2.jpg
    stats2.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 249
I wonder how VOOM determines how many people are watching their various channels? The numbers would be so low that I don't think Nielsen data would even be valid, unless they are paying for customized sampling of Dish/VOOM subs.

I agree there are a lot of gamers, it's a huge industry, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a disproportionate share of the HDTV market. But how many of them would want to watch other people playing games, say 10-15 hours a week?

Reefer123 said:
Well I heard in late '06 they will launch the Paintdry channel and Grassgrow channel to compete with Gameplay.
Dish is supposed to launch Fishtank Demo ll also along with those channels:)

BrettTRay said:

Hey! I miss the fishes from all the different aquariums without corporate sponsorship.

BrettTRay said:

don't forget Burning Yule Log channel (which isn't much different than many of the pressent channels.)

Why do they have such niche programming anyway? I would much rather see something like a TCM/AMC on voom (Majestic doesn't count!).