BREAKING VOOM DVR News from CES!!!

Duplicate posts deleted.

gutter said:
I thinka good point was made back one page. Why didn't VOOM carry a DVR feature at CES on HD NEWS?

Because HD News has no viewers. What percent of VOOM subscribers are watching HD news at any one time? How many people would that be? Less than 1000 or less than 100? It would be like the smallest rural newspaper in the country sending a reporter to CES.

jnardone said:
Because HD News has no viewers. What percent of VOOM subscribers are watching HD news at any one time? How many people would that be? Less than 1000 or less than 100? It would be like the smallest rural newspaper in the country sending a reporter to CES.

You don't get it. If you have paid attention to the polls you willl notice that HDNEWS is one of the favorites. Second they do repeat heavily so vieweres can tune in and out. third....IT'S THEIR FREAKIN CHANNEL!!!. What better place to show it?

Ilya said:
I think they will start advertising it closer to the release date. Why tease everyone when the product is not available yet.
But its only 50 days away. They should be advertising and taking early orders.

vurbano said:
But its only 50 days away. They should be advertising and taking early orders.

We don't know when in MArch it supposed to be released. It could be near the end of the month.

vurbano said:
That diplexer covers all RG6 connections and has one input. They havent found a way to get 2 satellite feeds over one rg6 cable have they?
Yeah, that 4-way diplexer puzzles me too...
I don't see how they can combine channels with different polarity.
(Unless of course they are going to dump that single (temporary) transponder that uses different polarity...)
I will try to get some comments on this from VOOM techs.

Guys,
My interpretation of the announcement is not later than March 31st they should start taking orders but I suspect it will happen in the last week of March ;)

Don Landis said:
It's all public info but the trick is knowing the filing URL. You could start by searching on the FCC.org website. Be prepared for a project, however. When you say channels, you do mean transponders right? FCC does not require filing of programming before the fact. They do require after the fact logs but that won't do you any good. If it's the bandwidth in licensed TP's you were looking for, try lyngsat, I recall has some excellent TP/channel/networks assigned information charts. BTW- Channel numbers are mostly arbitrary with any dbs provider. They are not specific to a frequency that I am aware of.

As for the price that we will pay, I find it difficult to compare with what's state of the art since I believe it's all about programming. It doesn't matter what the price of the 921 is because those won't work on VOOM. If you want to time shift VOOM, you must recognize that their box, no matter how primitive, is what you will need. But if the cost is too high, then the business will fail as nobody will pay the price. The only way this box could be considered obsolete is if VOOM introduces another DVR that is superior. I do agree that the best deal for us would be for them to offer a lease plan.

I'm not going to comment on the network system they used as it's superfulous. What's important is what network they WILL use on the version that is released in March. If Scott wants to get into that topic, fine, but I really don't see the point in discussing anything that is still in transition. But if you insist, I will say that the connection point on the box for the network will be the USB port. :)

BTW: I had to move the video link to a more permanent web site with fatter bandwidth.

http://www.TV-Shopper.com/CES/VOOMDVR.wmv

I meant channels as in like what's in the list BBCAmerica and the rest of those channels. The VOOM CSR said on the FCC site they show the channels pending. He told me that that they have to file with the FCC before they can broadcast them. Maybe he was just blowing smoke out his arse. I just wanted to see the list of the new channels. I'm sure the channels are final since VOOM gave us numbers of how many channels they are adding. Another thing the CSR told me is that 21 of the new channels will be VOOM exclusives.

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
...Another thing the CSR told me is that 21 of the new channels will be VOOM exclusives.
21 more exclusive channels? :love I am in Heaven! What, o what, could they be??

Or maybe the CSR :dev just says whatever sounds good.

It's gonna be a fun March! :D

Oh great! So instead of 21 originals showing the same 2 shows over and over, we'll now have 42 originals showing the same 1 show over and over.

Wow

21 of the new channels will be VOOM exclusives what can they be man i can't wait, will get voom in feburary so i should be ready in march when the new channels come in. :D

ram1220 said:
Oh great! So instead of 21 originals showing the same 2 shows over and over, we'll now have 42 originals showing the same 1 show over and over.

Oh brother. You're probably right. Just a numbers game.

I was hoping that maybe some of the SD channels would start transmitting in HD. Heck, if only the SciFi channel would, I'd be a happy camper.

ram1220 said:

Give it up.

The Cinema10 offerings have greatly improved since last April when I joined. It just takes time to acquire the content.

One of my gripes about the content is that they don't replay older movies that they have shown. Ie: I still haven't seen Woman in Red. It was on in Dec 03 - Jan 04 timeframe, but I haven't seen a repeat since. Same with the 70's Pam Grier movies (Coffee, Bucktown, etc...). They were on constantly for a month or two, but now nothing.

-John

Really been waiting on VOOM to introduce this DVR and home solutions before I sign up. I know if I switched now from Dish Network my wife would be furious. She has gotten so spoiled by DVR functions. Even if they don't make the March release date they will still be miles ahead of the competition!

BTW, my son in law is a videographer for VOOM HDNews and is in Indonesia at this writing doing a Tsunami report for VOOM News. Your prayers are appreciated to keep him safe

morgan52 said:
BTW, my son in law is a videographer for VOOM HDNews and is in Indonesia at this writing doing a Tsunami report for VOOM News. Your prayers are appreciated to keep him safe

Small world... Thanks for sharing that information. We'll do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)