BUD #2 - Successful BUD Hunting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
Another Kaul-Tronics C-band dish. It measured to 9ft 8 inches, so I think it is a 3 meter dish. Much bigger and heavier than my 7.5ft. Haven't tried it yet, going to save that for another weekend. I already removed the C-band lnb and have the BSC621 waiting for install.

One panel is missing... where is the best place to obtain a 2x5 ft mesh panel?.

I am not that excited about the lnb being mounted by one arm coming from the middle. Is there any disadvantages to this setup, I figure there will probably be several adjustments to make when mounting the lnb and maxing the signal.

I am very excited to get this BUD up and running. It did come with an actuator which may or may not work.

So in addition to finding a new panel, I also need a pole and either a V-box or an old receiver that can control the motor.

Attachments

• Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 227
  • satellite.jpg
    satellite.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 243
Congratulations, and thanks for the pictures! Skyvision used to (I guess they still do) cut mesh from your measurements? You can call them and find out? I don't see why you couldn't find somebody locally to do it though? Being 2 feet bigger than your 7 and a halfer, you should get more signal? If I couldn't find something locally to fill in the hole, I'd be tempted to try it as is? Good Luck!

Al

Another Kaul-Tronics C-band dish. It measured to 9ft 8 inches, so I think it is a 3 meter dish. Much bigger and heavier than my 7.5ft. Haven't tried it yet, going to save that for another weekend. I already removed the C-band lnb and have the BSC621 waiting for install.

One panel is missing... where is the best place to obtain a 2x5 ft mesh panel?.

I am not that excited about the lnb being mounted by one arm coming from the middle. Is there any disadvantages to this setup, I figure there will probably be several adjustments to make when mounting the lnb and maxing the signal.

I am very excited to get this BUD up and running. It did come with an actuator which may or may not work.

So in addition to finding a new panel, I also need a pole and either a V-box or an old receiver that can control the motor.

No, the arm in the middle doesn't interfer with the reception at all. I have a Odum 8 foot dish with it and I watch both 4DTV and C band FTA with no problems! Try not interfer with the arm when installing the lnb since it is more than likely set up.
Recently I got hold of a 7.5 Homecable dish with a lnb on it (held by 4 arms from the sides of the dish) and since both the lnb and feedhorn was bad, I install a feedhorn with a 15 degree lnb and matched up how the original setup was and got great results!
I found that when you find a BUD someone wanted to sell (or give you :D) try to keep the setting like it is as much as possible. Find out from the original owner if they received great signals from the dish and WHY they wanted to get rid of it. If they say everything was ok when they had it working then all you would have to do is to set the dish on a very plumb pole and aim it for the Old G4 satellite and go back and forth to G1 until the tracking is ok.
I know a TV station owner who found BUDs and installed them like I just mentioned and have great success with them. Adding newer lnbs and feedhorns sweeten the deal!
Is there a satellite dealer in your area? If he has been doing business for over 15 years, more than likely he may have a dish like yours setting up behind his shop. He may sell a panel off it to help you. I am bless to have a co worker who is a installer and when I need a lnb, feedhorn, IRD, feedhorn cover, or anything else, I check with him before buying one somewhere else.

Is there a satellite dealer in your area?

I have yet to find a good satellite dealer in my area, just the local DISH-DIRECTV dealers which have nothing to offer.

I think I will manage something. Skyvision looks too expensive, so I will check local stores. There is a big dish on a rooftop I know of that I could take a panel from.

...try to keep the setting like it is as much as possible...

Too Late, to remove this dish I actually had to adjust the elevation and remove the actuator... I know it causes more trouble and work, but I am pretty confident I can get it going again, and anyways I probably couldn't have brought it home without moving some things.

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if you could use aluminum storm door screen mesh they sell at home depot or lowes?? It's pretty cheap.

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if you could use aluminum storm door screen mesh they sell at home depot or lowes?? It's pretty cheap.

It might work, until he get that panel replaced. It won't look pretty but if it serves its purpose, it will do while he search for the replacement panel.
I believe he will.

thanks for all the interest everyone.... don't worry about the pannel too much, its no big deal.

I have more important things to address ...................... Should I spend the cash on a V-Box?

a old analog receiver will move the dish for you. but i tell you after hooking up the v-box i love it. i let my coolsat ( or traxis 3500) tell it what satellite to goto and its going

its a bit intimidating to setup at first but once you have it down its great

most analog receivers can be gotten for shipping + a little ( don't pay a lot) and don't get one without a remote.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)